NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

- One of the things I liked about the content of NXT was that the roster kept changing. People would move up, new people would move in. Nobody stuck around forever. Since the move to TV, there's a group of people who feel like they HAVE stuck around forever. 

This is the biggest thing for me.

Not the change to 2 hours, not moving to TV, none of that.

But one of the things about NXT was it was always fresh, because of its ever changing roster.   No other promotion/roster/brand ever, anywhere would lose its biggest stars as regularly as NXT, but that was one of the things that made it great.

22 minutes ago, The Dart said:

This is the biggest thing for me.

Not the change to 2 hours, not moving to TV, none of that.

But one of the things about NXT was it was always fresh, because of its ever changing roster.   No other promotion/roster/brand ever, anywhere would lose its biggest stars as regularly as NXT, but that was one of the things that made it great.

The more I read people mentioning that, the more I can absolutely see that as an issue. I know some don't like the 2 hours but I've felt on the whole it's still been an easy 2 hour watch and they haven't struggled too much with filling that with watchable content. However it's the overall positioning of NXT within the WWE structure. I was hugely disappointed that NXT wasn't involved in Survivor Series this year but when you compare it to where it was last year, it's night and day. Hell, I've enjoyed NXT since day 1 and I'll always have a soft spot for it, but even I can recognise that it's not what it used to be when it was at its best.

I don't know how they get that back or even if they can get that back with AEW on the scene because quite frankly it's more than just a viable alternative. The only reasons I can see people picking NXT over AEW as a career move would be:

a) You're a woman.

b) You already have contacts in NXT and you believe you're going to get a better spot on the roster than in an already bloated AEW one.

c) Your dream has been WWE forever and your heart is so stuck on that as an end goal.

Do I love NXT as much as I have done in the past? Probably not. But I do still enjoy it and I do still like a fair amount of the roster, even if they're not necessarily going anywhere.

26 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

The more I read people mentioning that, the more I can absolutely see that as an issue. I know some don't like the 2 hours but I've felt on the whole it's still been an easy 2 hour watch and they haven't struggled too much with filling that with watchable content. However it's the overall positioning of NXT within the WWE structure. I was hugely disappointed that NXT wasn't involved in Survivor Series this year but when you compare it to where it was last year, it's night and day. Hell, I've enjoyed NXT since day 1 and I'll always have a soft spot for it, but even I can recognise that it's not what it used to be when it was at its best.

I don't know how they get that back or even if they can get that back with AEW on the scene because quite frankly it's more than just a viable alternative. The only reasons I can see people picking NXT over AEW as a career move would be:

a) You're a woman.

b) You already have contacts in NXT and you believe you're going to get a better spot on the roster than in an already bloated AEW one.

c) Your dream has been WWE forever and your heart is so stuck on that as an end goal.

Do I love NXT as much as I have done in the past? Probably not. But I do still enjoy it and I do still like a fair amount of the roster, even if they're not necessarily going anywhere.

Jake Atlas counts as option C I think

4 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

I Googled McAfee, and Wiki lists him as 106kg (so a shade over 230lbs) and 1.85cm (just over 6ft). Looking at where Cole head reaches, that surely puts Cole sub 5'9". And yes, I wouldn't care if he wrestled that way or was booked that way i.e. massively outweighed against the majority of his opponents. As funny as the McAfee kick gif is, it's still a strike he's seen coming with no weight behind it. Fuck off.

Video always cracks me up

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, The Dart said:

Absolutely. The reason they had a reputation for good storytelling and character development is that the majority of characters and stories would have a natural arc, they would end, and then one or more of the people involved would be called up and they'd move on to the next thing. It meant no one, or nothing, outstayed its welcome. It felt like people working programmes in the old territory days.

For the past year or more, every time I've turned on NXT it's been The Undisputed Era or Johnny Gargano. Which is the same problem with the likes of Dolph Ziggler never changing on the main roster - it never feels like I'm watching anything new, which means it never feels like I'm watching anything fresh or urgent.

The first NXT WarGames was three years ago - three years later, and one team in WarGames is exactly the same as in the first one, and in every subsequent one. 

21 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

NXT did used to be awesome right? I'm not just imagining it?

Same here. Magic is gone huh!? It’s feeling like a cookie cutter McDonalds show like RAW and SD. 

AEW is the cool thing now on Wednesdays.

Nxt used to be literally be my favorite thing and I went to every taping from mid 2018 til this March.  

The magic has totally gone for me and I can barely even be bothered to watch Takeover. 

They’re allowing fans back at the tapings but they seem to be handpicked and I’ve never made ‘the list’! Not sure I would go even if I could...oh well, nothing lasts forever.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:14 AM, Snitsky's back acne said:

NXT did used to be awesome right? I'm not just imagining it?

Vince using NXT as a instrument in trying to squash AEW has ruined NXT. 

Taping 4 weeks of NXT meant storylines that were logical and made sense. The pandemic hasn't helped either. A lack of proper crowd has hurt them. I'm pretty sure Full Sail would have shat all over Dexter Loomis and maybe we wouldn't have to endure him had Triple H and co realised that the serial killer is in fact shite

• Paid Members

NXT was already nosediving before it moved to the USA Network. Whilst both competing with Dynamite and the pandemic definitely sped up their decline they were already on their way months if not years earlier.

When did Gargano turn heel? Around then was when you could sense the wheels had come off. I wonder if you could go back and see what changed around then. Did they hire or move writers? Something definitely changed for the worse.

I also reckon that Gargano vs. Almas match was the worst thing that ever happened to NXT main events. Once everyone raved about that match they decided it should become the blueprint for every big match going forward. It didn’t matter if the characters or story matched. Just do loads of kick outs like that match everyone loved! They did seventeen kick outs and got five stars, so imagine how many stars you’ll get if you kick out twenty times!

Edited by Supremo

1 hour ago, Tsurutagun said:

Taping 4 weeks of NXT meant storylines that were logical and made sense. 

I hadn't thought of it like that but, yes, it does seem that the tapings every 3-4 weeks gave the storylines more time to breathe. It also meant they were locked into a certain path instead of being able to change their minds more often.

I think one thing that is also making NXT suffering is the fact that the conveyor belt has stuttered.

NXT really benefited with the higher turnover of talent. It's difficult to sick of Nakamura, Bobby Roode or Alistair Black when they are only there for 12 months maximum before being replaced by a fresher new talent.

Now lots of guys are opting to stay there it seems. Which I suppose is fine, but it also kind of robs a spot for another talent waiting to come in. I mean, is there really much else Johnny Gargano can do?

I always think back to mid 90s WWE. Imagine how crap it could of been if WCW didn't take away Diesel, Nash, Hogan, Macho Man etc?