NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

What year did you last watch wrestling?

Yeah, you notice it a lot these days.

However that Candace Larae Ladder/chair spot was one of the worst of the year. She positioned herself multiple times on the mat below the ladder, grabbed a chair to her side and literally pressed it straight on her chest and laid still waiting for a few seconds.....and it hurt her arm. 

I hope she’s ok, but Sweet baby Jesus; I felt so embarrassed watching that phony, stupid sequence.

NXT is getting ‘Overproduced’ and it’s starting to show.

10 minutes ago, LWOLeN said:

NXT is getting ‘Overproduced’ and it’s starting to show.

You get the same shit on all shows. It's not an NXT thing. People clearly moving into place and waiting. Especially those top rope moves that are so contrived with everyone standing in a group outside etc. It's just wrestling.

• Paid Members

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but watching the, “Untold,” Network documentary on the HBK vs Kurt Angle rivalry is an eye-opener.

Listening to Johnny Gargano in particular banging on about how he loved both guys, and this was the ultimate dream match, you can really see where the roots of the current NXT style lay. Kurt with all his finisher reversals and kick-outs, Shawn with what Johnny describes as, “Shakespearean” drama. LOL. This current crop are the purest evolution of the matches Shawn and Kurt had.

What a shame. I love Goldberg as much as anyone, but I do wonder what things would be like if he hadn’t ended Bret Hart’s career and more of these guys had watched and idolised him instead.

It's been happening in indies for ages that whole RVD/Lynn freeze as prep for doing a spot, Janela does it a lot. I barely notice shit like that when I watch wrestling but any time I stuck PWG on last year he'd be in the undercard and inevitably a few times a match would just freeze in place waiting for things. Fucking madness. Makes sense it'd slip in once they started hoovering indies up.

I don't get the knocks against War Games at all. I thought it was a great event with only the strap match being a slight drag. The rest was an absolute blast and Pat McAfee is slowly cementing himself as the greatest non wrestler wrestler ever. Fucking love that bloke.

I watched both and didn’t enjoy them, thought Shotzi was terrible in everything she did.

I’m well aware that Wargames requires 2 rings but all competitors in both matches just stayed in the 1 ring for practically the whole thing which made it pretty pointless.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tsurutagun said:

The odds it runs against the new AEW show whenever that starts? 

Almost 100%.

A development brand for a development brand, Jesus fucking Christ. At what point do you admit the NXT project is a failure? NXT hasn't produced the stars that the OVW or FCW systems used to and the quality of guys coming through has been steadily getting worse over the past few years. Maybe it's time they tried something else.

I wouldn't say NXT has failed making new stars, I think part of the problem is WWE did use top guys of the time to "make" the new ones.

Proper feuds and eventual wins Cena, Orton, Taker, Trips and select guys like Balor, KO, Aleister or whoever they wanted to be the next main crop, "steel sharpens steel" but the time has passed and now it's hard to define mid card and main event.

Other factors too ofcourse like going against AEW and changing what made them successful in first place.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, The Cutting Edge said:

I wouldn't say NXT has failed making new stars, I think part of the problem is WWE did use top guys of the time to "make" the new ones.

Proper feuds and eventual wins Cena, Orton, Taker, Trips and select guys like Balor, KO, Aleister or whoever they wanted to be the next main crop, "steel sharpens steel" but the time has passed and now it's hard to define mid card and main event.

Other factors too ofcourse like going against AEW and changing what made them successful in first place.

If you're countering the point made then they weren't successful in the first place, and it has nothing to do with AEW. There's no question that NXT is worthwhile. The performance centre is too. They need both to help them find, groom and prepare new talent. Lots of talent have come through and been a worthwhile addition to the company which can't survive without new talent.

The questions are whether it's any better than what they had before and whether the current process has made genuine top level stars. I can't see any argument for it. When you look at the guys who've been top for the past 5 years (and even if we pretend that the real stars aren't still the likes of Lesnar, Cena, Goldberg, Undertaker, HHH and Shawn Michaels who vary between three matches a year and one match every three years and are presented as being better than everyone else) they all pre-date NXT, came in from outside or where there, left and came back. I think the only product of the current system to have been a top guy is Braun Strowman who could have been a star but really isn't. You could argue Kevin Owens too, and I wouldn't disagree too much except that he's the same as Strowman. He's held a big belt but he's not a star. The only star they've made isn't a man, it's Becky Lynch. And they couldn't get the best out of that either.

Their entire approach needs to change. Especially now NXT is a "third brand". More people are seeing these guys in NXT. Which means that their TV life is even longer than the 3 million hours most guys on the roster already have run up and their are more people seeing the complete change in approach between NXT and Raw.

The biggest problem they have is how they present guys week to week on their main TV. That's the be all and end all. That's what's killing them and all their prospects. They can't book a babyface star to save their lives. Talented guys like Bryan and Reigns entertain being a heel and the 6 people who still watch get a bit wet but it doesn't solve their problem. But even then, when you look through NXT, does anyone see guys who even look like prospects? Keith Lee was the one, and now he's ordinary. What's left? Talented but small guys and big old guys, many with terrible gimmicks.

I'm entertained by lots of guys. I love Pete Dunne for instance. But it has to be in small doses because there's no entertainment to be had in watching them week in, week out. That used to be a main roster problem. Now it's everywhere.

Edited by tiger_rick