NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

If it puts an end to the absolutely tedious argument about 'demos' then they could run on Sunday afternoons for all I care. Hopefully people will then realise that it is possible to watch two shows and not have to pick a side and slate the other show. 

The wrestling audience isn't big enough for a 'war', it's more a school yard ruckus these days and it seems that the 'Wednesday Night Wars' have been as crap as the January 4th era Monday Night Wars. 

I really hope they do move to a new night, that way I will have another episode of Simon Miller's Ups and Downs on another day while I work. It's pretty much the only wrestling thing I watch these days and will check out shows based on those videos.

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

...It seems that the 'Wednesday Night Wars' have been as crap as the January 4th era Monday Night Wars. 

Mate, I'm all for open opinions, but nothing is even remotely close to the awfulness of TNA at that time. Orlando Jordan giving himself a facial, for crying out loud. The Nasty Boys.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Mate, I'm all for open opinions, but nothing is even remotely close to the awfulness of TNA at that time. Orlando Jordan giving himself a facial, for crying out loud. The Nasty Boys.

Both of those things were infinitely more watchable than Johnny Gargano.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Point taken, I'd actually forgotten about Jordan. The Nasty Boys is unforgivable.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Nah, it was still better than HBK era "epic" NXT.  At least he had some so bad it's good about it. HBK NXT is just fucking dire. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I’d move them to Tuesdays. They’re not gaining anything losing to Dynamite week in and week out and there’s been nothing to suggest they can turn the tide in the long-term. NXT was already going downhill before they they moved to the USA Network but the decline definitely sped up once they began competing.

Ultimately, the Wednesday Night Wars has just been an echo of the Brand Extension. It always sounds good in press releases and conference calls - “competition is good for everyone; it brings out the best in both companies and gives the fans the best products.” That’s just not the reality though. NXT in particular have proven they just don’t have it in them anymore to compete. Everything is a mad, panicked counteraction. They say it’s a marathon rather than a sprint but every week they’re the ones blindly sprinting, with no idea where they’re going. The cage and ladders probably don’t even go back the warehouse anymore, they’re used so often.

Even when they show patience and slowly develop good stuff, like Rhea Ripley, it hasn’t lasted and they’ve been willing to sacrifice everything gained in favour of desperate ratings ploys like bringing in Charlotte to shit on everyone. How Triple H or Road Dogg even look Rhea in the eye these days is beyond me. Surely they can’t still be telling people to wait and see how it plays out?! It’s all played out. It was a huge pile of shit that killed Rhea’s momentum dead.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Supremo said:

desperate ratings ploys like bringing in Charlotte to shit on everyone.

What an odd demographic to aim for. Still, would probably “move the needle” for someone.

• Paid Members

I’ll be interested to see the rating for this show. Not only did last week’s non-finish leave a bad taste, but they came back with a super underwhelming Sudden Death Match between Balor and Cole, followed by a double dose of noncery with back-to-back segments featuring Velveteen and Austin Theory.

2888BF35-0985-4C9E-8722-FBBE8AD524C0.gif.3c6b470fcbe55cfb1c36f601b30e8677.gif

I’m sure the main event Cage Match delivered but there was no way I was in the mood to keep watching. No thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I love Kyle O'Reilly.

I've loved the guy for years. I think he's a fantastic talent. Can do face or heel so easily.

Is this the way we're going with a face Kyle push though? I'm not sold on it yet, moreso for getting him over with an audience that hasn't seen him that way before. Not that there's crowds anyway.