NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Does anyone think that ‘that guy’ only wears Everton shirts because Fandango pretended to support them for a couple of months?

Nah, I think it's to try to get Robbie Brookside's attention. 

• Awards Moderator
35 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I love a kendo stick, but I don't like them as a go-to wrestling gimmick. Steve Blackman used them because he had a martial arts gimmick, Sandman using them grew out of the Singapore Cane match gimmick - what's the justification for there just being a load of them kept under the ring? Why would they be there?

I really believe that every weapon used in a wrestling match should be something that plausibly would be available - I can accept that the ring crew might leave chairs, tables, ladders, tool boxes and so on under the ring, or nearby. They're all things that can be explained (and it wouldn't kill commentary to throw in a line actually explaining it). Anything else, imply that the wrestlers hid it there before the match - JR used to do that with Regal's brass knuckles and Triple H's sledgehammer. But a neatly arranged collection of kendo sticks? Why are they there?

This is one of my other half's big things that makes her laugh about wrestling. If she ever sees someone looking under the ring for something she finds it hilarious that all this stuff is stashed under there for no logical reason. Why so many bin lids? What are they planning on using all those tables for?

• Paid Members

I'm fine with tables - though slightly less so in WWE than on smaller shows. There was a show I watched recently, maybe an AEW one, where one of the announcers explained that the table a wrestler was getting from under the ring was there in case the announcers' or timekeepers' table was damaged and needed to be replaced. That's a conceivable bit of business, at least. You can say that ladders are under there because ring crew have to sort out lighting and fixtures and whatnot. 

But bins, bin lids, cookie trays, kendo sticks and bags full of drawing pins? A little less viable. For spots with chairs or bins, why not just have them positioned around ringside somewhere - it always feels more urgent, and believable, when someone goes to steal the timekeeper's chair, rather than conveniently finding one under the ring in the first place they look. 

14 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Loved the attack by GYV, honestly didn’t expect it and I really hope they’re staying rather than slumming it on NXT UK with the no hopers.

They did a bunch of farewell stuff in a few UK promotions, seems like they're moving out to Florida at least for a while if not permanently

Ratings are in, and NXT are still hovering around the 700k. Official number was 697,000 (-21,000), third lowest since the start of ‘the war’. Different story for AEW though*. They drew 766,000 (-140,000).

*thats not me having a pop at AEW, just don’t see the point in discussing the rating in different threads

11 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Ratings are in, and NXT are still hovering around the 700k. Official number was 697,000 (-21,000), third lowest since the start of ‘the war’. Different story for AEW though*. They drew 766,000 (-140,000).

*thats not me having a pop at AEW, just don’t see the point in discussing the rating in different threads

That's a surprising drop for AEW. Was there anything out of the ordinary happening that night?

• Paid Members

I'd hazard a guess quite a lot of eyes were glued to something coronavirus related, be it 'real' news or the large number of sport postponement/cancellation announcements that started really kicking off on Wednesday.

• Paid Members

Last week's was up - probably due to the post-PPV bump. This week just settled back down. The blood and guts show in a couple of weeks will be interesting to see if they get a bump from a well advertised "special".

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I appreciate this is out of my wheelhouse given I only regularly watch Powerrr & the odd NXT UK but is it right to make comparisons between AEW & NXT? I was under the impression that AEW was pitched as an alternative to RAW? Whereas NXT is still just developmental (albeit quite popular).

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I appreciate this is out of my wheelhouse given I only regularly watch Powerrr & the odd NXT UK but is it right to make comparisons between AEW & NXT? I was under the impression that AEW was pitched as an alternative to RAW? Whereas NXT is still just developmental (albeit quite popular).

The main argument is they are on at the same time as each other. But NXT, whilst still "developmental" is the third brand. Shows like Heat and Velocity were never their own brands properly, but NXT I would consider, especially with the cross over with the main roster at Survivor Series and Wrestlemania, certainly isn't just developmental any more.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Dead Mike said:

WWE put NXT in that timeslot specifically to harm AEW ratings. Any comparison is their fault.

20 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Yeah, they’re both aiming for the same niche audience.