NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Exactly, AEW aren’t aiming to only target a niche audience and obviously would want to expand past that. NXT was aiming towards it while it was on the Network but now will want to expand it into a bigger general audience as well. Why either company would actively aim at a niche audience is a mystery 

1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Exactly, AEW aren’t aiming to only target a niche audience and obviously would want to expand past that. NXT was aiming towards it while it was on the Network but now will want to expand it into a bigger general audience as well. Why either company would actively aim at a niche audience is a mystery 

Problem is NXT was developed into exactly that. A niche indy promotion under the WWE umbrella. And it has been supported as such - an underground alternative to the main roster etc etc.

AEW has also been presented as an alternative although more to WWE as a whole. They have their weird niche stuff for the internet fanboys. And they have their more mainstream casual stuff.

17 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Problem is NXT was developed into exactly that. A niche indy promotion under the WWE umbrella. And it has been supported as such - an underground alternative to the main roster etc etc.

Yeah as I said, the aim of NXT has changed since being Network exclusive. They still are popular within the niche market they have already built, but it is silly to say that is what they have in mind for the future. Their aim is no longer the same as it was a year ago 

23 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

WWE put NXT in that timeslot specifically to harm AEW ratings. Any comparison is their fault.

Did they though? NXT was always on the network Wednesday 8pm.

it was taped on Wednesday’s at full sail (albeit not every week).

obviously they could have changed that once they went live, but i don’t think it’s that they choose that because AEW.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Sonny Mustang said:

Did they though? NXT was always on the network Wednesday 8pm.

it was taped on Wednesday’s at full sail (albeit not every week).

obviously they could have changed that once they went live, but i don’t think it’s that they choose that because AEW.

Of course they did. It's airtime on the Network is irrelevant. Network is a streaming service. People watch when they want. They sought a proper TV slot and extended it to two hours, unless that's another coincidence, eh?

I'm not criticising them for it. Business is business. But it's the reason no one should be suggesting little old NXT shouldn't be compared ratings wise.

I’m really surprised to hear that NXT did over half a million viewers this week despite having nothing advertised and not showing any actual wrestling matches. I guess it’s safe to say that’s how many “hardcore” fans there are that will watch no matter what, or perhaps that Gargano/Ciampa doc off the network is just that good?

• Paid Members

Under the circumstances thought it was a decent show. Interestingly, this show had way more matches on it than promos, which hasn’t been the norm since the new Covid-19 format started. They were back at Full Sail and also copied the same format from Raw (cc AEW). 

Quite enjoyed Theory/Breeze and some of the general heel shithousing on the show in the form of trash talk, which for that match in particular played into that story really nicely. Also Riddle/Strong had a decent banger. 

Big takeaway appears that Ciampa/Gargano won’t be ‘loser leaves town’ as such, only that the feud can’t continue. Think this is only because of the uncertainty around the virus and NXT needing enough talent afterwards to crack on, so they get a pass on that, but I think Gargano moving to Raw or Smackers after this has all blown over is the more likely scenario. 

As with all these shows in the time in our lives, was it needed? No. But they did and it was definitely more enjoyable than most of the shows in this format.