NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

22 minutes ago, Vamp said:

The idea that they have a captive audience is bollocks. You have a choice of a million things to watch, why would you watch shows that are essentially about trying to film a wrestling show in the middle of a global pandemic?Ā 

If you're after escapism, which is the only reason to watch wrestling, the shows at the moment aren't going to offer that.Ā 

Which does lead into the question of why either promotion is bothering to do it. But that's probably a far bigger questions than the two promotions and probably leads to questions about television networks, sponsors and contracts and that sounds pretty boring.

Because when it comes down to it, wrestling is still high up the list of stuff I enjoy watching. Even if it's in a slightly different format. It doesn't mean it's impossible to have it as escapism. I'm still enjoying matches and finding things funny etc. That's just what I need at the moment.

Wrestling has often been my happy place over the years and that's no different now, even if they're having to deliver it in a strange way.

I understand it's impossible for some to see past the empty arena stuff but there are plenty out there like me who are still finding enjoyment in it.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Vamp said:

Which does lead into the question of why either promotion is bothering to do it. But that's probably a far bigger questions than the two promotions and probably leads to questions about television networks, sponsors and contracts and that sounds pretty boring.

It can only be that they're contractually obligated or incredibly obnoxious. Because surely neither is stupid enough to think these shows are good or necessary.Ā 

That's the end of me watching NXT then.Ā  I'll stick to the YouTube highlights on Thursday morning.

It was hard enough to wait until Friday evening to watch it (which meant waiting until sometime on Saturday usually).Ā  I'm not going to wait a whole week.

21 hours ago, burchybabi said:

Ā 

I fucking loathe the use of "reaching out", except on the few occasions when it may actually be appropriate. CNN use it a lot and they're cunts. The woman wasn't reaching out, but simply making a straight-forward (customer services-type) enquiry.

Edited by KingofSports

The 8 wrestlers in the cruiserweight title tournament are:

Swerve
El Hijo del El Fantasmo
Akira Tozawa
Jack Gallagher
Kushida
Drake Maverick
Tony Nese
Jake Atlas

Ā 

I can Jack Gallagher winning.Ā  Shame it's going to be rubbish, like nearly all of the empty arena stuff is.

1 hour ago, meexcellent said:

I feared BT would force this asĀ I trilailed UFC fight pass a couple of years ago and live events were blockedĀ for the UK.

Lets hope this isnā€™t the start towards ppvs not airing, at least liveĀ on the network.

If they stop live PPVs on the network I can see the subs falling.Ā 

• Paid Members

Hadn't realised they still had Fantasmo under contract, thought he got released after he got injured just after signing.

Can see Swerve winning this, inevitably Nese and Gallagher will cost each other a match, its group stage rather than single elimination isn't it?

Edited by Shy Dad

This switch to a 7 day delay for NXT is a disaster. I also have BT Sport appĀ but the most recent episode is not on there either (only highlights). Currently seems like there will be a dead period where the episode is unavailable to watch anywhere in the UKĀ for several days. Iā€™ve e-mailed the network to ask if this is a mistake. Letā€™s see what they say.

With the rumours that PPVs will come off the network, NXT would beĀ the one thing keeping me. However if this 7 day delayĀ persists Iā€™m tempted to do the unthinkable and cancel my sub. It would be a wrench to lose Takeovers but AEW is brilliant so maybe I could make do with just that.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Can see Swerve winning this, inevitably Nese and Gallagher will cost each other a match, its group stage rather than single elimination isn't it?

It is, yeah. Two round robin groups of 4, group winners advance to a championship match.

Seems a lot of effort for an interim championship, guess they've got time to fill...

• Paid Members

6 weeks worth of action as they will probably get away with doing 2 matches a week, then the final, but by that point you'd either expect them to have Devlin back or be fully off surely?Ā 

Just noticed there's no PPV between May and July planned either, I guess based off this time last year that's one way to get out of the Saudi contract.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Colin Culk said:

This switch to a 7 day delay for NXT is a disaster. I also have BT Sport appĀ but the most recent episode is not on there either (only highlights). Currently seems like there will be a dead period where the episode is unavailable to watch anywhere in the UKĀ for several days. Iā€™ve e-mailed the network to ask if this is a mistake. Letā€™s see what they say.

With the rumours that PPVs will come off the network, NXT would beĀ the one thing keeping me. However if this 7 day delayĀ persists Iā€™m tempted to do the unthinkable and cancel my sub. It would be a wrench to lose Takeovers but AEW is brilliant so maybe I could make do with just that.

The latest episode is up on the BT app in full along with previous weeks and Raw/Smackdowns. Just go to the WWE page and scroll down to Full Event Replays and they are all there.Ā 

1 hour ago, The Ratt said:

The latest episode is up on the BT app in full along with previous weeks and Raw/Smackdowns. Just go to the WWE page and scroll down to Full Event Replays and they are all there.Ā 

Cheers, I saw that but when I click on it it only starts a 32 min programme. Iā€™m assuming itā€™s either an error or BT only have rights to show highlights after the initial 24 hours.