NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I can't imagine Bret being a coach. I think he'd be like Jan Molby. Utterly frustrated at working with people he could still work around on his worst day and no good at hiding it.

After that Summerslam 11 match that probably isn't accurate.... but you are absolutely right. He couldn't lower expectations to his students capabilities. 

9 hours ago, Statto said:

When Candice turned up, I thought she'd come to pick Johnny up cos she was sick of waiting in the car for them to get to the fucking finish. Particularly as it was only 90 minutes or so after she'd taken a horrendous ladder bump.

I love this comparison. Also considering how much of a comic nerd Gargano is, she’s like a mum at a playground whose kid won’t stop playing with his action figures

NXT beat AEW in the ratings by 1000 viewers this week and both numbers were pretty shocking [mid 600.000 range].
Of course, as he is prone to do when AEW get less viewers, Bryan Alvarez was keen to point out that AEW won the key demographic.

Personally I think the fact that both numbers are so bad given they have a pretty much captive audience is the real talking point.

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Of course, as he is prone to do when AEW get less viewers, Bryan Alvarez was keen to point out that AEW won the key demographic.

Couldn't give a fuck about Alvarez but every time I check the ratings on whatever site google throws up first, they always mention the key demographic. Same with Raw and Smackdown. Not that it particularly needs pointing out in this scenario - AEW always wins with that demographic.

I'm not surprised by generally poor ratings, the shows are dead. I'm more surprised AEW pulled a 900k out of nowhere a couple of weeks ago.

It seems lots of people have latched on to this 'key demographics' thing as a means of excusing shit ratings.

'Yeah but they did well in the key demographics'. Sure but the number was still shit.

'Ratings dont matter'. Yeah so if any TV show drew 15 million these days nobody would care right? Bullshit. TV ratings only dont matter when TV ratings are shit. 

Its pigeons fighting over bread crumbs at the minute, sadly. AEW should, for a hot new company, be doing MUCH better than it is (even in non-pandemic times) and the same with the trendy alternative 'everything sucks on the main roster' NXT.

Sorry, having a 'grouchy old man yells at clouds day' today.

Have I said 'It was so much better in my day' yet?

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

It seems lots of people have latched on to this 'key demographics' thing as a means of excusing shit ratings.

'Yeah but they did well in the key demographics'. Sure but the number was still shit.

'Ratings dont matter'. Yeah so if any TV show drew 15 million these days nobody would care right? Bullshit. TV ratings only dont matter when TV ratings are shit. 

Its pigeons fighting over bread crumbs at the minute, sadly. AEW should, for a hot new company, be doing MUCH better than it is (even in non-pandemic times) and the same with the trendy alternative 'everything sucks on the main roster' NXT.

Sorry, having a 'grouchy old man yells at clouds day' today.

Have I said 'It was so much better in my day' yet?

I am not a TV ratings guru, but actually numbers are important but not as much as key demos. Key demographics are how they sell advertising and the 18-36 demo is important. If Raw got 5 million viewers but 90% were in the 50-65 demo, there advertising would be shit. If AEW drew 1 million but 70% of the demo was the key demographic they would be able to sell advertising easier and get more for it. It’s not purely done on viewer numbers

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I am not a TV ratings guru, but actually numbers are important but not as much as key demos. Key demographics are how they sell advertising and the 18-36 demo is important. If Raw got 5 million viewers but 90% were in the 50-65 demo, there advertising would be shit. If AEW drew 1 million but 70% of the demo was the key demographic they would be able to sell advertising easier and get more for it. It’s not purely done on viewer numbers

P'ah it was never like this in my day! Bloody ageist advertisers. **Grumble grumble**

I’m suprised the ratings are as high as they are because as have said, there’s not a whole lot going on either show. Obviously that’s not WWE’s or AEW’s fault, they’re doing what they can in the situation, but it’s good to see that there is a portion of the audience that will be there no matter what

As for the ‘key demographic’, that’s seems to be the thing guys like Meltzer and Alvarez have latched onto to determine who wins. By their logic, NXT could be watched by 6 million people 37 years and over and no-one younger, but if 1 person between 18 and 36 watches AEW, then they’ve won the night apparently.

Not the ratings battle is what it used to be now that we’re in the days of on demand streaming and what have you

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I really hope they don’t take a ratings win as proof that Gargano vs. Ciampa was anything other than a fucking embarrassment.

Someone posted this on Twitter earlier. Check out the match length of the first (brilliant) Gargano vs. Ciampa match. 

2B7625B9-8EDF-4E28-BB77-000841089D1E.png.f49afbec28bf3cb62f3301cf84e2b206.png

The glory days.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Rhea Ripley isn't going to be part of any bulk taping they're doing in the coming weeks. Visa expired, she's back in Aus and I'd guess isn't going to be back over until after the rules are loosened on lockdowns and such. 

May also give some reason outside of "because she's a Flair and WWE can't build new stars" on why she lost on the weekend too. 

Hopefully they build a story of Rhia going home, show videos of her training etc and more of a comeback story leading to a rematch at Summerslam.

Bit of topic:

If life gets back to kinda normal by the summer then Summerslam could be a huge event with all the possibilities that they could build up and mania rematches that can be done better this time

50 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Rhea Ripley isn't going to be part of any bulk taping they're doing in the coming weeks. Visa expired, she's back in Aus and I'd guess isn't going to be back over until after the rules are loosened on lockdowns and such. 

May also give some reason outside of "because she's a Flair and WWE can't build new stars" on why she lost on the weekend too. 

Read that initially too but she’s since done a video denying it, saying she’s still in the US.

The idea that they have a captive audience is bollocks. You have a choice of a million things to watch, why would you watch shows that are essentially about trying to film a wrestling show in the middle of a global pandemic? 

If you're after escapism, which is the only reason to watch wrestling, the shows at the moment aren't going to offer that. 

Which does lead into the question of why either promotion is bothering to do it. But that's probably a far bigger questions than the two promotions and probably leads to questions about television networks, sponsors and contracts and that sounds pretty boring.