NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Grimes is class. Love how his look and ring style compliment his name. Genuinely thought Dijack fucked himself when he shot himself to the outside. Good work and cool finish. Damien Priest has become a guilty pleasure recently. I imagine him snooping through his copy of The Game, hilarious sleazeball he is.

Flair/Belair didn’t live up to the billing but Flair practically has go away heat with me at this point. Complete albatross to the women’s division as the Charlotte apology tour continues. Ripley showing zero urgency at the end and hitting all her entrance notes was funny as fuck though. 

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

9 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Flair/Belair didn’t live up to the billing but Flair practically has go away heat with me at this point. Complete albatross to the women’s division as the Charlotte apology tour continues. 

That's an interesting one for me, as I see this quite a lot but I've never really felt it myself. She's crazy talented and well deserving of where she is. Overexposed perhaps, and that's down to the constant booking of the same women, but I do wonder how much of that is down to them actually being better than others. It's really difficult to tell if the others are suffering because of it, or they're just not good enough.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

That's an interesting one for me, as I see this quite a lot but I've never really felt it myself. She's crazy talented and well deserving of where she is. Overexposed perhaps, and that's down to the constant booking of the same women, but I do wonder how much of that is down to them actually being better than others. It's really difficult to tell if the others are suffering because of it, or they're just not good enough.

I think she's really, really, really boring. She always has been. There's no doubt she's one of, if not the, best women wrestlers they've ever had but it's never struck a chord with me because outside of a nice robe and an impressive entrance, she's as dull as fuck. 

I adore Becky and Ronda because they're everything she (and others) are not. They're great characters and great promos. It doesn't matter that they're women at all, they're just great pro-wrestling characters. The only thing Charlotte has going for her is that she's very good in the ring. Meh.

She’s not even great in-ring at this point, she’s regressed massively in the last year. She’s slow, sloppy and awkward as hell. Not to mention the occasional sandbagging and no-selling shes guilty of, both in ring and on the mic. She’s practically HHH at his worst, political sway and all.

And for someone that’s pushed so heavily as a star, she’s never really gotten over, had any memorable feuds or done jack shit with merch sales. Sasha, Becky, Shayna, Belair, Asuka are all far more interesting and leagues ahead as all round pro-wrestlers. But everything has to go through her.

It’s a shame because I used to love her, but she’s a complete turn off these days. 

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

I feel exactly the same. I can't point to anything in over a year Charlotte Flair has done that I've enjoyed, or was improved by her involvement at all.

In fact I think the way she's been booked and coasted in some of her matches has probably been detrimental to the division. Why did she beak Asuka? Why did she have to be inserted into Becky vs Ronda. Two decisions that massively derailed two potential stars - neither of which has ever reached the level they were at again.

Not to mention her pointless royal rumble victory this year

She's absolute quality in my opinion, Flair, and one of the best female workers they have and I really enjoyed this match.  That said, she could do with 6 months off and a refresh.  She's also turned too many times which doesn't help.

Good to see some love for Grimes on here.  He really impresses me.  His timing in the ring is fantastic, he sells brilliantly, and has a great sleazy charisma.  NXT is pretty crowded with talent at the moment though so I think he's just circling.

Am I right in understanding that NXT might be going on the road from now on, rather than always being at Full Sail?  If so, that's good.  It's too big a brand to be stuck in one place, now, and whenever it's away from home it looks the business and gets great crowd reactions.

The first show after mania is at full sail (but that just might be to allow visitors to attendAs it’s on Tuesday )- but after that I’ve definitely heard musings it will be in the road at least half of the time, to tie in with the National house show loop.

its been a blast going but even I am tired of driving to Orlando every week! 
that said, proper marking out for the taping at the performance center March 11. 

I enjoyed the ladies' cage match but I thought they got the story quite wrong.  Here's a girl who's been desperate to get her revenge on her enemy, who finally gets her in a cage so the hired help can't intervene, and she's going for pinfalls 2 minutes into the match?  Surely this is her chance to beat up Kai and take out her frustration?

Dakota Kai's bump off the chokeslam from the top rope was ni-ice.

Shotzi Blackheart is ace and has a lovely bottom, so I was sad to see her lose.

"You don't know what I've been thought Mauro... (a minute later) you KNOW why, Mauro".  Gargano channeling Terry Funk here.  He and Ciampa have stayed in NXT too long, they need to move on.

I’m totally over Gargano & Ciampa. Gargano, his “acting” and his Lisp of Terror are fucking awful as a heel, and you can guarantee that he’ll still wrestle like Super Johnny Babyface because he has to have his epic drama~! match. It’s the same as when Balor used to become The Demon, he looked great sure, but he didn’t change anything about how he wrestled.

I’ve nothing against weapons being used in a match so long as it works and happening for a reason, but I’m sick to death of seeing fucking Kendo Sticks. I’m not expecting anyone to go all Wifebeater and bring out a garden strinmer, but for the love of god just give us something different.

Im guessing those vignettes are for Killer Kross?

Does anyone think that ‘that guy’ only wears Everton shirts because Fandango pretended to support them for a couple of months?

Loved the attack by GYV, honestly didn’t expect it and I really hope they’re staying rather than slumming it on NXT UK with the no hopers.

They’ve stacked next week’s show with 2 title matches and had 2 Cage matches this week, but they seem to have plateaud around the 700,000 viewers mark and have been behind AEW for 10 straight weeks. While AEW did gain this week coming off a PPV, which is obviously great for them and well deserved, they’re a little more up and down while NXT don’t seem to lose many viewers but also don’t seem to be gaining any either

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I love a kendo stick, but I don't like them as a go-to wrestling gimmick. Steve Blackman used them because he had a martial arts gimmick, Sandman using them grew out of the Singapore Cane match gimmick - what's the justification for there just being a load of them kept under the ring? Why would they be there?

I really believe that every weapon used in a wrestling match should be something that plausibly would be available - I can accept that the ring crew might leave chairs, tables, ladders, tool boxes and so on under the ring, or nearby. They're all things that can be explained (and it wouldn't kill commentary to throw in a line actually explaining it). Anything else, imply that the wrestlers hid it there before the match - JR used to do that with Regal's brass knuckles and Triple H's sledgehammer. But a neatly arranged collection of kendo sticks? Why are they there?

Didn't Marina Shafir bring it down to the ring with her?  And she has a martial arts background?  I think they get a pass on this one.

Dream looked strong coming out of the match, and allayed some of my worries about him.  Looking forward to his feud with Cole/UE.