NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

I’ve gave it a lot of thought since watching the show about the Gargano turn and the fact he wore that new DIY tee, I’m wondering wether this is going to be some sort of ruse between Ciampa and Gargano to sucker in Cole/Balor and have a fatal 4 way at either Takeover Tampa or on Mania itself, where they pull a finish similar to when Sting left AJ to win the Impact title at No Surrender 09, where they get Cole in a position to lose by doing the ‘Meet in the Middle’, have the staredown like it’s come down to them then Gargano does a dive to the outside on Balor/UE to allow Ciampa to hit Cole with the ‘Fairy Tale Ending’ to win Goldie back

The last thing I want, and the last thing Gargano needs, is another fake-out heel/face turn confusion.

They absolutely fucked Gargano by taking the best whitemeat babyface they'd had since Daniel Bryan, with a natural revene story against Ciampa, and turning it into over-egged melodrama that he doesn't have the acting chops to pull off. 

Would love another Gargano/Ciampa match. The storytelling in those were about as perfect as wrestling gets. You can flip about and do Canadian Destroyers all you like and you'll get a pop here and there but nothing sucks me in like a beautifully crafted story and I think they nailed it with their Takeover matches a couple of years back. 

• Paid Members

That last Takeover match Gargano and Ciampa had, the Last Man Standing Match, told a terrible story. The finish in particular made Johnny look like a fucking moron. I hope I'm wrong and they manage to wrangle a good story and match out of going back to this feud but the way it ended last time fills me with nothing but dread. I went from never missing an episode of NXT to abandoning it for months.

I watched this with barely any prior knowledge of the wrestlers on the show. I recognised some of the names and had seen Finn Balor wrestle before, but that was the extent of it. 

I thought it was tremendous. I haven't suffered the recent burn out of seeing ROH Shawn vs Undertaker style main events every month, so it all felt fresh. I can see how it gets old quickly though. 

The opener was great, albeit awkward at times and there were a few unnecessary big moves that it could've done without, but that's the nature of the biz I guess now. Both came out looking like stars. 

Nox was my stand-out performer on the show. No idea how consistent she is on a frequent basis but if I was to pick a future star from anyone on the show, it would be her. Bonus for hitting the best German suplex since records began.

The tag match was a delight to watch. Like much of the show, it suffered from too many false falls which should've ended the match, but I was gripped.

The Balor match was good enough but didn't feel right in the middle of a card. Would've been more at home as a good Raw or Smackdown main event. 

The main event, though I did enjoy it, was probably my least favourite match on the show. How long did it go for, about 40 minutes? If they're doing 25+ minute stretches then they best be bringing their A-games. It didn't live up to what I think it's intentions were, and it came off feeling like a plastic early-2000's NJPW main event. 

All in all, thoroughly enjoyed it on the whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2VitWdZ9g0

Clip from Breaking Ground, still one of the best series WWE has ever done.  Regal kicking off about footwork in the ring.  One particular young trainee singled out for praise at the end though.. she's always been the EST.

28 minutes ago, Loki said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2VitWdZ9g0

Clip from Breaking Ground, still one of the best series WWE has ever done.  Regal kicking off about footwork in the ring.  One particular young trainee singled out for praise at the end though.. she's always been the EST.

I absolutely loved Breaking Ground and wish they would bring it back, or just do a William Regal coaching people Series. That clip of him having a tizz because people can’t follow a simple instruction is great, but him talking to Aliyah about her entrance is what stuck with me more than anything. There are still a tonne of folks on NXT were you’re wondering “really? That’s the best you could come up with?” who could benefit from some Regal advice

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I absolutely loved Breaking Ground and wish they would bring it back, or just do a William Regal coaching people Series. That clip of him having a tizz because people can’t follow a simple instruction is great, but him talking to Aliyah about her entrance is what stuck with me more than anything. There are still a tonne of folks on NXT were you’re wondering “really? That’s the best you could come up with?” who could benefit from some Regal advice

there's some great bits of advice kind of hidden in that show, too.

Tyler Breeze at one point says to someone that they should consider that, if kids were in the playground playing at wrestling, what would they do to show they were "being" you. Which is a really good way of looking at what makes you unique. 

Astonishing that Aliyah is still around.

• Paid Members

Second time in 8 (9?) weeks that technical problems have resulted in BT Sport viewers missing the end of the main event/show on NXT.

Seems it's pure bad luck, but still. They don't seem to want to acknowledge it on Twitter either, which seems a poor choice to me.

11 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

She must have been there the longest of anyone currently in NXT right?

Kasius Ohno, although his time in NXT was obviously split up. Still, it must be pretty crap for him to see his contemporaries move up to RAW and Smackdown whilst he has actually gone backwards in terms of status in NXT.

10 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Kasius Ohno, although his time in NXT was obviously split up. Still, it must be pretty crap for him to see his contemporaries move up to RAW and Smackdown whilst he has actually gone backwards in terms of status in NXT.

I think he is there as an 'in ring trainer' type - an experienced veteran to work with the young guys at live events. I would not imagine he is going to pop up on Raw or Smackdown at any point. 

46 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I think he is there as an 'in ring trainer' type - an experienced veteran to work with the young guys at live events. I would not imagine he is going to pop up on Raw or Smackdown at any point. 

I’m very aware of that, but it’s unlikely to have have been his expectation, when he signed with WWE. I’ve never been a fan of his, but there were definitely points where it felt like there was a decent amount of buzz around him.

9 hours ago, RedRooster said:

His contemporaries were already long moved up when he signed on the second time, weren’t they? He came back in knowing his role, surely. I know what you mean though, it must sting a bit. There are a few like that. Wesley Blake was one of NXT’s top acts for a bit with Murphy and Alexa, and the other two are big deals on the proper shows now whereas Blake is just lower down on the NXT roster.