NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Yeah, I should've hated those Broserweight skits but it's a testament to the charisma, delivery and characters of both guys that they managed to make it work. Pete's, "I'm not even from London!" got a genuine chuckle from me.

Sunday's Takeover card looks pretty tasty.

Theyā€™ve really struck gold with the Broserweights. I couldnā€™t imagine a better way to utiliseĀ babyface Pete Dunne, theyā€™re making the most out of his two facial expressions. Itā€™sĀ cool to see Riddle grow as a talker. While heā€™sĀ kneecapping any chance of making it on the main roster, the stoner goof hardman act is one of the fresher acts in wrestling, and it just works for him.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

I really liked the Broserweights skits as well. Itā€™s strange, I kind of hate them - when they did the in-ring promo the other week, they were both dressed as utter bell ends. And Riddleā€™s loud stonerĀ frat boy personality ("WEED IS ACE! I'm 34")Ā is almost intolerable at all times... yet it all works so well together. Peteā€™s look at the camera on the boat cracked me up.

Would love to see them face Moustache Mountain and New Day.

Edited by King Pitcos

My theory:

Adam Coleā€™ 2020 goal was to become the longest reigning NXT Champion of all time. This maps to March 20th, 2020. Just before Tampa Bay.

Finn Balor is currently the longest reigning NXT champion.

Iā€™m booking Adam Cole vs Finn Balor for the belt on NXT Wednesday March 18thĀ for all the bragging rights.

Adam Cole will then retainĀ thanks to Johnny Gargano getting revenge onĀ Finn Balor. Ā Cole completes his goal, can now drop it at Tampa Bay and go up the main roster.

So we get Balor vs Gargano 2 at Tampa Bay plus Cole vs Ciampa 2. Ciampa finally gets Goldy plus an UndisputedĀ Era ā€˜curtain callā€™ at the end of the show as theirĀ NXT time is done.

In short: Adam Cole retains tonight. Gargano will be temporary written off TV again tonight. Balor wins.

Iā€™m also calling for Bianca Belair with a massive upset ā€™wā€™Ā thanks to Charlotte so they can go to a Triple Threat at Mania. Bianca is currently at 1 to 8. Thatā€™s like getting another chance atĀ Tesla before last yearsĀ stock rise.

Fun stuff to think about. So many options.

Edit: Biancaā€™s odds have now halved.

Edited by LWOLeN

• Paid Members

For the most part I thought this show was fantastic. Super fun matches and star-making performances all night long. Dominik Dijakovic is a hilarious maniac, Bianca Belair is one of the Performance Center's biggest success stories and Matt Riddle is finally starting to feel like the type of star he's always had the potential to be. Hell, even Charlotte Flair felt like an exciting character tonight, which hasn't been the case in ages.

That main event was NXT at its absolute worst though. Pure WWE2K20 match structure, filled with infinite finishers and spammed kick-outs. I'm far from the tag-Jim-Cornette-on-Twitter types, I usually enjoy the modern WWE and AEW style, but fucking hell there comes a point where it's just a headache to watch. It's as if every Takeover main event since Gargano vs. Almas got such universal praise has seen them trying to emulate and then top it by just doing more and more false finishes. In a few years time I feel like the entire three-hour event is going to be needed just for the main event, with at least ninety minutes of it being guys endlessly kicking out of big moves.

Also, the last thing I want to see is more Gargano vs. Ciampa. Fuck off, lads. You had the chance to pay that storyline off properly but fucked it up to such a degree that it was best for everyone involved to just pretendĀ it never happened. Going back to it and trying to make sense of it, but with Johnny as the heel? No thanks. E-Fed as Fuck.

On the plus side, I canā€™t wait for the vignettes of Matt Riddle taking Pete Dunne out to celebrate their Title win.

Edited by Supremo

Why is it the John Woo Dropkick? John Woo is a director, and has probably never done aĀ dropkick in his life.Ā Surely it should be a Jet Li or Tony JaaĀ Dropkick.

Lee/Dijakovic was exactly what weā€™ve come to expect from them, big dives and moves for no rhyme or reason.

The Womenā€™s street fight was enjoyable up until ā€œwho the fuck is that?ā€ turned up. That table bump was nasty.

Multiple ā€œfight forever!ā€ chants can fuck off, no-one seems to care about who wins or loses, they like everyone

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

All those kick outs in the main event were ridiculous, but the worst one was after Fish and Oā€™Reilly did their finishing move on the outside and I believe Cole hit 3 super kicks and then the shining wizard to the back of Ciampas head. That shouldā€™ve ended it. But no, we have to go back to an old feud, this time featuringĀ cringey evil Johnny.Ā 
Ā 

I like Cole, Ciampa and Gargano, but these ROH mid 2000s main events theyā€™re putting on are getting silly now. Supremo makes a good point with how theyā€™re trying to top Almas vs Gargano. I loved that match and donā€™t need to see it being copied or made worse by self indulgent wankfests. But they know the live crowd will eat it up and react how they want to with fight forever and this is awesome chants that it wonā€™t change.Ā 
Ā 

Tag match was excellent as predicted with those four guys. Would love to see Riddle vs Oā€™Reilly one on one in a mini feud. I think they would have some great matches.Ā 
Ā 

I hope Tegan is okay. That was a nasty looking bump she took from taller Sonya Deville.Ā 

• Paid Members

the problem with NXT no longer being a "developmental" brand is that wrestlers are no longer called up, so stories/character arcs don't reach a natural conclusion. NXT built a reputation for solid storytelling largely because they knew when to bloody end them. Now we're just going to be stuck with Cole/Ciampa/GarganoĀ forever.

39 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Really enjoyed the show but as someone who doesn't watch NXT regularly I just have one question - is Mauro always that unbearable!?Ā 
Ā 

Pretty much yeah. I don't think any of them are particularly good on NXT. No idea why inexplicably Nigel kept calling Pete Dunne 'Pete Doone'Ā