NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

27 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Only half way through this week’s episode, not sure I’m that keen on Gallus losing 4 days before the ladder match in Blackpool, even if it was by shady means to UE, I’d have held that match off till next week imo

Does anyone even watch NXT UK though? 

I didn’t even know there was a Takeover this weekend until you mentioned it.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Supremo said:

Made up with the Alex Shelley announcement. I’ve not seen much of his ROH stuff but hopefully he can still go and this leads to a full-time gig. Always been a favourite. 

FWIW, when people started suggesting he'd be the mystery partner when the bracket came out, he was quite adamant on Twitter that his physical therapy job was both his main income and main focus and therefore "wrestling during the week is impossible". Obviously that was a bit of a diversionary tactic (learned well from Big Kev) but it would be interesting to see what he'd do if a contract offer were to be made, as I know he credits having a passion for the PT job with getting him through a divorce and a period of depression so he might not be so willing to let it go. I'd love to see it though, he's probably in my top 10 favourites of all time.

Noticed the last few weeks that whilst the WWE logo is still there, it's not quite as prominent as it has been in the past - the refs now have an NXT logo on their shirts, the logo in the bottom corner of the screen is now "NXT live" rather than "WWE live" etc. Be interesting to see if they lose it from the barricades too, which is where it remains most prominent now.

Commentary was abysmal as usual. All three of them really struggled with Kay Lee Ray & Candice Le Rae both being in the same match, and couldn't seem to  recall who was on what team either. There were several other slips of the tongue & moments of idiocy too, but I think Nigel referring to the "tyrannical tyrants" of Imperium was probably this week's nadir.

Not a great ending to BT Sport's first live broadcast of NXT either. If I hadn't already spoiled the outcome of that match for myself on Twitter I might have been more annoyed.

MCMG were my favourite team back in TNA so I'm happy to hear Shelley is coming in.

Legit impressed by Cameron Grimes in the main event.  He has great expressions and timing.  Reminds me in a weird way of early Heel Kurt Angle.  I still think the gimmick needs some work but he looked like he belonged there.

Grimes and Keith Lee looked awesome in he main event. Looking forward to a singles match between them two. Lee vs Strong should be fun as well. Not usually a fan of three and four-ways but NXT has them down to a science. Still hoping Lee can find his way up the card someday soon, so sick of the skinny work rate dudes at the top.

Disappointing follow up to Ripley’s championship win. I’ll have to take back thinking she’s a nailed-on superstar with promos like that. 

Promos are definitely NXTs weak spot (once you’ve trained yourself to ignore the awful commentary). The standards must be low if Ciampa’s seen as one of the best. He’s looked completely ordinary since that Miz Tv spot he did. 

• Paid Members

I loved that Matt Riddle promo on this show. 

Stupid, daft, but completely fresh, different and in keeping with Riddle’s character. That and Bianca Belair’s “she doesn't even go here!” both made me laugh.

3 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I loved that Matt Riddle promo on this show. 

Stupid, daft, but completely fresh, different and in keeping with Riddle’s character. That and Bianca Belair’s “she doesn't even go here!” both made me laugh.

Great call. Both of them stood out above everyone else the last couple of weeks for me. Riddle was hilarious and was exactly how you’d imagine him to act. Apparently HHH saw it and preferred it to the planned pre-written one. 

I wish they could be a bit looser with the in-ring promos. Adam Cole, Dream and Shayna are the only ones that come out of them well to me.

• Paid Members

I really didn’t like Riddle when he first came in. But he’s grown on me hugely and having got to see him and Keith Lee at progress last year (I’ve been to 3 shows, I’m not an ultra) my opinion of them grew even more. I hope him and Pete go all the way to the finals

• Paid Members

Mauro Ranallo referred to Andrews and Webster as the Grizzled Young Veterans and that still wasn't the worst bit of Commenty on the night. Angel Garza won't be asked back anytime soon.

I thought Riddle and Dunn worked well as a team. Wasn't impressed with the other tag match. Not a bad show all in all, but mainly due to Champa/Lee/Gargano and the Undisputed Era storyline.

Also excited to see DIY v Mustache Mountain as well. Worlds Collide is shaping up well

On 1/16/2020 at 11:12 AM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Mauro Ranallo referred to Andrews and Webster as the Grizzled Young Veterans

He also kept confusing Lio Rush and Swerve Scott, which is a bit embarrassing.  

Disappointed Kushida and Shelley lost - mainly because Shelley looked fantastic, and it'd be a shame if that was a one-and-done in WWE, ala James Storm.

Bianca Belair v Rhea Ripley should be a lot of fun (again, we've seen it before I think).   The Battle Royal wasn't great but it showed the strength and depth of the NXT women's division at the moment.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Disappointed Kushida and Shelley lost - mainly because Shelley looked fantastic, and it'd be a shame if that was a one-and-done in WWE, ala James Storm.

Post show interview suggested there would be more. I think they lost because it would elevate GYV more in the short term having a win over an older, well established team (at least in Japan) but he looked good, Shelley can clearly still go, and maybe that could be their first feud after the Dusty Classic concludes. That was my takeaway from it anyway