NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

I thought NXT did an impressive job in capitalising on the Survivor Series buzz this week. This felt like the most effective show of the wars yet in terms of getting people up and down the card over. I thought the format was something they should stick to, perfect mix of in ring promos, vignettes, short interviews etc. The Kushida and Swerve Scott vids are the kind of little things I wish AEW would do with their mid-card babyfaces, instead of thinking competitive matches is enough. Things have started to heat up too, with the spectacular Shayna/Ripley stuff, the Balor/Dakota heel turns and Keith Lee becoming the biggest rising star in wrestling. It taking main roster exposure for Keith Lee to break out is some bizaroo world shit and it's great to see them run with it. They've certainly got me invested. Where does Lee go from here? I don't think he needs the belt but he shouldn't be losing either. Call up? Whatever happens I hope we get more Lee/Balor out of it.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Awards Moderator

Things I enjoyed this week:

- Jaxson Ryker chokeslamming the snot out of a jobber

- “Keith Lee finally feeling like a big deal” continuing

- Them remembering that great humanising video they did for Hideo Itami and repeating it for Kushida. Also his shorts

- Rhea Ripley in general.

Things I didn’t enjoy so much:

- Pete Dunne. I liked the Cole match but he’s lost a lot of his aura of specialness since he lost the UK Title and it feels a little like they’re scrabbling to get something back.

- Kushida in the ring still not being as interesting as he needs to be

- The fact that people did or attempted deadlift German Suplexes in THREE different matches this week. STOP. IT.

So a positive one overall for me this week.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Forgot about all the shitting deadlift German Suplexes

On 12/6/2019 at 5:34 PM, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Where does Lee go from here? I don't think he needs the belt but he shouldn't be losing eithe

I don't see any harm in putting the belt on him.  If they want to continue to have him pop up on the main shows or PPVs, having the gold over his shoulder would help cement his aura.  And when was the last time we had an NXT face champ who had a long run?  Finn Balor?   He could have good feuds against heel Balor, Dain, they could even throw him in against Ryker, I'd quite like to see that match.

On 12/6/2019 at 7:51 PM, HarmonicGenerator said:

Things I didn’t enjoy so much:

- Pete Dunne. I liked the Cole match but he’s lost a lot of his aura of specialness since he lost the UK Title and it feels a little like they’re scrabbling to get something back.

He definitely has sadly. Seems like he’s working more of a traditional babyface style which has robbed him of his edge. Plus the clean cut look he had in 2017 made him stand apart. His vicious ring style was a neat contrast to his boyish looks. Now he just kinda looks like Killian Dane, The Forgotten Sons and every other hairy bloke. But smaller.

I'm of the opinion that he's always had a pretty shitty look, and it's just his talent in-ring that's kept him over.  He IS small, even by modern WWE standards.  He could definitely do with a decent makeover.

• Paid Members

I've always thought Pete Dunne was more suited to an MJF type cocky heel gimmick, than the current gurning, hard hitting babyface. The main part of his appeal was in the initial UK tourney when he was a sneaky prick and was laying people out from behind. Plus, he looks a right tosser with his hair tied up, trousers too short and a scarf on.  

• Paid Members

Yeah, he's a natural heel and, as far as I recall, never really had an "official" face turn, they just started tagging him with British Strong Style without much of an angle to set it up, or else had him start working against heels because the Full Sail crowd were cheering him. It was always a bit annoying hearing announcers talk up him, Tyler and Trent as lifelong friends, when their only real interaction before that had been Pete trying to break Tyler's fingers repeatedly to win the UK title.

The sooner he's back heel the better.

One of the best matches of the year, that, and a really good Cruiserweight match with a real story and heat.  There's a massive amount of Eddie Guerrero in his act, and that can only be a good thing.  What a talent Garza is.

11 minutes ago, Loki said:

There's a massive amount of Eddie Guerrero in his act, and that can only be a good thing.  What a talent Garza is.

Totally agree with this, I know they'll never attach it to anyone else, nor should they but 'Latino Heat' would suit him perfectly.

Edited by rollthedice

20 minutes ago, rollthedice said:

Totally agree with this, I know they'll never attach it to anyone else, nor should they but 'Latino Heat' would suit him perfectly.

Agreed. Garza has enough about him that comparisons will naturally be made to Eddie in a positive way but he is absolutely capable of being that Latino superstar WWE has desperately craved for years. Rey is still there and doing better than ever but they have time with Garza. He oozes charisma and talent.
If he does not become a big star then there is something seriously wrong. 

• Paid Members

The best thing on this week’s show - by some margin - was that little vignette they did on Rhea Ripley. What a fucking star that woman is. She’s the only woman in the company right now who you could imagine one day being the main event of Wrestlemania. Having never watched the Mae Young Classic, I was blown away by how different she used to look, too. I’d never have guessed this was the same person!

7D6DC69A-AADA-4931-98BE-F7EF32A60134.jpeg.3b9a7e841ad934193870320910801cdb.jpeg

She has to beat Shayna for the title, right?

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

The best thing on this week’s show - by some margin - was that little vignette they did on Rhea Ripley. What a fucking star that woman is. She’s the only woman in the company right now who you could imagine one day being the main event of Wrestlemania. Having never watched the Mae Young Classic, I was blown away by how different she used to look, too. I’d never have guessed this was the same person!

7D6DC69A-AADA-4931-98BE-F7EF32A60134.jpeg.3b9a7e841ad934193870320910801cdb.jpeg

She has to beat Shayna for the title, right?

You are aware the women main evented Mania this year yeah?

14 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

You are aware the women main evented Mania this year yeah?

I think he's referring to current star aura. Ronda's gone, Becky's star has fallen, and Charlotte is a pedigreed part of the furniture. Rhea has the most buzz, the most momentum, and is the strongest singular presence in all the women's roster right now.