NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Most worrying thing for AEW is that NXT didn't make a big jump, they lost a big chunk of viewers and set their record low in the key demographic. Most worryingthing overall is that they've lost over 200,000 viewers between them in 2 weeks. From 1.696m on December 4th to 1.478m on Wednesday.

Really good episode bracketed by two great championship matches.

Personally, I'm glad Cameron Grimes got the win over Kushida.  He's the latest in a long line of Japanese stars who fail to adapt to the environment and fail to connect with the audience.  Grimes has a better character than Kushida and he's really straight out of development (or Impact). Grimes actually looks great - needs a few tweaks and he's a bit young for the character in a way, but he's a good addition to the roster.

They've pulled the trigger on Rhea Ripley at the right moment.  Sure, she's still quite green but so was Shayna when she became champ, and she's improving in every match.  Strike whilst the iron is hot.  I imagine Baszler has a Wrestlemania programme upcoming, with a Royal Rumble win potentially, so she'll not lose much momentum.

I personally really enjoyed the spot in the first match where they knocked the barrier over onto "fans".  And then rather than anyone rushing out to help them, the "fans" were trapped under the barrier for the next 5 minutes, screaming in pain, whilst the wrestlers jumped around on the barrier.  Health and safety team need a stern talking to  😛 

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Personally, I'm glad Cameron Grimes got the win over Kushida.  He's the latest in a long line of Japanese stars who fail to adapt to the environment and fail to connect with the audience.  Grimes has a better character than Kushida and he's really straight out of development (or Impact). Grimes actually looks great - needs a few tweaks and he's a bit young for the character in a way, but he's a good addition to the roster.

It's an interesting one for me. I feel like they've put way more effort into building Grimes - the intrigue and decent performances etc.

Do you think Kushida has failed? Or have they failed Kushida? It's been pretty lazy shoving him out there with the 'time' gimmick and just assuming people know what the fuck he's doing. It's almost as if they either couldn't be arsed, or they assumed he was SO good that he'd just get over without them having to try. Either way, he's pointless.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's an interesting one for me. I feel like they've put way more effort into building Grimes - the intrigue and decent performances etc.

Do you think Kushida has failed? Or have they failed Kushida? It's been pretty lazy shoving him out there with the 'time' gimmick and just assuming people know what the fuck he's doing. It's almost as if they either couldn't be arsed, or they assumed he was SO good that he'd just get over without them having to try. Either way, he's pointless.

What even is that gimmick? Does he just cosplay or is he a time traveller? What is he?

It reeks of asking him what US shit he's into, and him saying "I like Back To The Future", and then just hitting Print on a costume. "You like sailing?  You're the Pirate Princess!!"

They keep making this mistake with Japanese (sorry, Chinese) imports.  The gimmick of "good highspot wrestler in Japan" has never worked in WWE, and it certainly doesn't work in NXT where everyone pretty much is extremely technically proficient and athletic.

At least NXT tries to give its faces actual characters unlike the rest of WWE.  But in this area it's failed, again.

Aside - where is Dream?  Absent for the whole USA run so far.  They need him back.

Grimes vs Kushida was totally my jam, man. Really fun, gritty scrap. One of those matches where the bits of sloppiness just added to the flavour. I love how they're building Grimes finisher as a complete kill shot, and it looks bloody awesome too. He definitely has a weird charisma about him. It's a lazy comparison but you can see a lot of Daniel Bryan in him. I'm not too worried about Kushida. He came out of his shell that night when he tagged with Breezango and full sail has warmed to him. He's a likeable, fun-loving goof and he'll probably fit nice into the cruiserweight title picture. 

I'd forgotten how much fucking cool was dripping from Finn Balor. What a difference to that boring, smiling dork.

The main event was WWE Big Match drama at it's very best, and a fitting end to an all time great championship run. Rhea Ripley has to be the most nailed-on superstar they have in NXT. She's already showing great range, whether she's the badass babyface, the monster heel, or the underdog working from underneath. I was fully convinced she was going tap out at one point when her eyes were glazing over. Then she tossed the ref aside and hulked-up for the brilliant crescendo of the finish.

I almost shed a tear last week watching Shayna work on her Mustang. She's the best. I'm gonna miss the fuck out of this Shayna Baszler when she's left floundering on Raw.

21 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I was fully convinced she was going tap out at one point when her eyes were glazing over. Then she tossed the ref aside and hulked-up for the brilliant crescendo of the finish.

Yes! I was genuinely getting angry at this point, thinking they'd decided to keep the title on Shayna - and I've loved her title run - and that they weren't ready to commit to Rhea yet. I haven't felt that invested in a womens match in a long time.