NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

I don't give two shits about ratings, but NXT has been the better show for the last month or so.  It weirdly still feels like more of an alternative to WWE than AEW does, which has its sights set very clearly on the Raw/Smackdown market.

Keith Lee has improved a LOT since he first started in NXT.  He wrestles a calmer style now that really shows off his size and strength whilst still pulling out the odd impressive bit of athleticism.  I wonder if Show has been helping him out there?  His charisma has always been there, and his facial expressions really are fantastic.  There's absolutely no point in him going to Raw or anything - they already have Joe if they care to use him (and he's healthy).

The really interesting point will come if NXT ever starts to threaten Raw or Smackdown in terms of numbers or merch sales.  

57 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Makes a change from apparently being obsessed with the female wrestlers I suppose.
It's only taken 10 years....

You can thank TildeGuy for that. His gimmick change from SCOOPZ to the vending machine underwear-sniffer stole all your heat. 

Ciampa on Lilian Garcia's podcast is an interesting one - basically saying he's refusing to go to either Raw or Smackdown for a number of reasons. I wonder if (a) that'll last and (b) if he's the only one that will try to pull that. Surely the more NXT proves to be sustainable as a weekly TV show, the less those on it will actually want to move to the other shows? Especially considering how diluted so many of the transfers end up becoming.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Ciampa on Lilian Garcia's podcast is an interesting one - basically saying he's refusing to go to either Raw or Smackdown for a number of reasons. I wonder if (a) that'll last and (b) if he's the only one that will try to pull that. Surely the more NXT proves to be sustainable as a weekly TV show, the less those on it will actually want to move to the other shows? Especially considering how diluted so many of the transfers end up becoming.

Was thinking about this earlier. They tweeted out that a referee (Jessika Carr) is leaving NXT for Smackers and it was treated very much like a promotion.

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Was thinking about this earlier. They tweeted out that a referee (Jessika Carr) is leaving NXT for Smackers and it was treated very much like a promotion.

Their YouTube channel has her getting the big send-off at Full Sail as well. Including a congratulations speech from Ciampa, although he does call it a lateral move rather than a promotion.

6 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Their YouTube channel has her getting the big send-off at Full Sail as well. Including a congratulations speech from Ciampa, although he does call it a lateral move rather than a promotion.

Thing is - is it even seen as a developmental brand at this stage - at least on the TV show. There's no one getting air time right now who's not TV ready from what I've seen. 

Edited by Wrasslin

The main takeaway from this week is how incredibly fat Ohno now is.  Like a proper fatty - Vader in the 2000s fat, Jake Roberts in Beyond The Mat fat.  His time in the UK has clearly been spent at Greggs and not the gym.

Otherwise a decent episode but not spectacular.  Kushida is back.  There's a Triple Threat match coming for the No 1 contender, for anyone who wasn't sick of those after Survivor Series. WWE is settling into its traditional Christmas malaise that continues until the Rumble. 

I wouldn't say that. Not with NXT anyway. Shayna/Rhea and a solid build up to Cole defending his title both have my attention. They've still managed to keep everything quite focused and on track I feel. I'm intrigued what level of involvement they'll have in the Rumble next year though. Especially after Survivor Series.