NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Speaking of Wesley Blake, the Forgotten Sons seem to have undergone one of the typical WWE unseen face turns, appearing this week to do a backstage/inset promo in response to GYV ragging on America.

If that were the beginning of the turn itself it'd maybe be ok, but they are already "America's favourite sons" according to Beth.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:29 PM, Callum1993 said:

No idea why inexplicably Nigel kept calling Pete Dunne 'Pete Doone' 

Kyle O'Reilly was doing it in some Youtube promos in the weeks leading up to the match.

So, while it wasn't particularly funny, there was a reason for it.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:29 PM, UK Kat Von D said:

Takeover was a great show, but it always is. They’ve set the bar so high for Takeover style matches that it’s getting harder to impress me. If any of these matches were on any other card they could steal the show. Instead it all just blurs together. 
Such a weird complaint to have, I just want to see something different and the big matches to feel big. It is every match blatantly try to be great. I’ve gotten into the habit of just ignoring the first half of the main events and playing on my phone. I don’t buy most of the near falls anymore. Imagine how fresh it would be for them to have a Lesnar/Goldberg type that can destroy anyone within five or ten minutes.

It probably doesn’t help that I’ve stopped watching the weekly show since it went to two hours. It’s out of my schedule now since they started showing it on a different day 

Brrilliant point here. It's part of the reason shows should be structured better. Start big, bring em down, build a again to a crecendo. Otherwise nothing means anything. 

It's fantasy wish fulfilment by the old timers who run NXT but can't wrestle any more.  If you realise that it's like a real life videogame, it makes more sense.  Ciampa is HHH, Adam Cole is HBK - that struck me in the run up to this PPV.   DX are just sitting in the back, spamming the finisher button.

• Awards Moderator

This episode was the last chance for the Network to prove it’s worth me keeping it on. NXT has always been the main thing I watched every week, and after this episode, I’ve decided I wouldn’t really miss it. Not that it was bad as such (although I do dislike Dream acting the twat with the Marina thing) but there was nothing that grabbed me and not enough of the intangibles that always made NXT feel exciting and different. More Ciampa and Gargano, pass. UE beatdown on a face, seen it. Dijakovic and Lee isn’t finished still. Forgotten Sons are babyfaces. Raul Mendoza generally. I’m good. I’m off to cancel.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

This episode was the last chance for the Network to prove it’s worth me keeping it on. NXT has always been the main thing I watched every week, and after this episode, I’ve decided I wouldn’t really miss it. Not that it was bad as such (although I do dislike Dream acting the twat with the Marina thing)

That final shot of Dream rolling around on the floor with the Undisputed lads standing over him was absolutely amazing. In those spray-painted kecks, having acted the bell-end, I don't understand how anyone can watch that and not think, "well, you got exactly what you deserved there, mate." Some babyface.

It goes back to that, "it's a marathon, not a sprint," line from the press release they sent out that first night. The irony of that continues to grow by the week. Whilst they've managed to beat Dynamite with big shows that involve Raw and Smackdown invading or a Takeover-worthy lineup, NXT still suffers from all the deep-rooted problems that plague WWE as a whole. And worst still, they don't seem to be doing anything to change course.

Terrible promos with wonky dialogue. Insufferable, over-rehearsed commentary. Bizarre heels and babyfaces that feel written by people squarely in the bubble. Much like Drew McIntyre's awkward banter on Monday, Velveteen Dream's snide involvement of Roddy's family suggests the people making the big decisions with these characters have never watched a TV show or movie not produced by WWE. Hell, you could go as far as to wonder if any of them have ever even interacted with real, normal people not in the business. Their perception of what traits make for goodies and baddies is absolutely bonkers.

By contrast, for a company that was supposedly, "sprinting," AEW sure as fuck took the time to listen and develop. There's no questioning that the show before Christmas was a bad pile of shit, but now? It's been a consistently great show for nearly two months and this past Wednesday was one of the best pro-wrestling television shows in as long as I can remember. Problems like The Nightmare Collective have been addressed, weird, awkward characters like Adam Page have been successfully tinkered with and bad promos like Britt Baker have been given the time to develop and improve on their own merit to a point where she's one of the better parts of the show now.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy NXT, and with Raw's third hour being such a killer it still remains WWE's best show. It's just a shame that for a company supposedly doing a marathon they don't actually seem to be making any progress or developing at all. What happens when Charlotte vs. Bianca Belair doesn't pop the rating you're expecting? What next? Bring Brock to Full Sail? Then what? Until the real problems are addressed I don't see these quick fixes doing anything in the long-term.

Surely someone, somewhere is going to have to eventually sit down with Mauro Ranallo and suggest reining in the pop-culture similes? I genuinely don't think a segment goes by where he doesn't crow-bar at least two or three in. I know Mauro's had mental health problems and I certainly don't condone the bullying it sounds like he got from JBL, but bloody hell. I'd be absolutely stunned if Beth Phoenix and Nigel McGuinness don't have a Whatsapp group where they endlessly slag him off.

Edited by Supremo

I definitely agree they just need to slow down.  Stretch out the storylines a bit, have some more midcard wrestlers on the show, show of your depth.  I guess it will be all change after WM so they’re burning through matchups now but they don’t need to.