NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

I’ve seen some folks giving out that this isn’t named after where the show is taking place, but calling Takeover: Bridgeport would just emphasis who weak this show has been built.

I understand that things have been moved about because of Saudi Showdown, but even so this is the least interested I’ve ever been in a Takeover show. Tyler Breeze making up the numbers, Riddle v Roderick is TV Main Event at best. The best built match is the Four Way Tag Ladder Match, and that’s got the Forgotten Sons in it for gods sake.

I mentioned about them maybe doing an Iron Man Match between Gargano and Cole, which I still think they will do which means this is getting an inconclusive result

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Awards Moderator

For a show I had no anticipation for, that ended up being really good. Better first half than second for me, but very good overall.

Riddle-Strong was my favourite match of the night. Went a bit kickout-heavy at the end but definitely the best Riddle match I’ve seen and the best singles match Roddy’s had in ages.

Ladder match was a great stunt show. Not sure it needed Lorcan and Burch but the other three teams played their parts well.

Dream-Breeze and Baszler-Shirai were fine. That must be more time than Tyler’s had in the past year on Raw. Not sure what Io was kicking off about at the end of her match though, Shayna beat her fair and square.

Cole-Gargano was A Good Match. But A Good Match that was full of superkicks and silly kickouts that even Nigel’s stopped trying to justify: “an adrenaline spike’s the only explanation” was a line after one of the kick kick head drop kick sequences that still didn’t hurt them enough to stop doing kicks and head drops. Result could have gone either way and made sense, but that’s got to be Gargano moving up/across/diagonally to 205 now. Nothing at all left for him in NXT.

The commentary ruined it for me, especially the ladder match.  Beth doing her Renee “ohhh” impression for near on 2 hours didn’t help, Mauro in overdrive and Nigel who has no emotion in his voice what so ever.

Glad Io got some offence in after her match with Shayna as she would have looked too weak coming off that otherwise.

Io needed an edge because she's never really been given anything past being Kairi's friend and apparently a good wrestler. I've never really been that interested in her but I knew the dynamic between her and Shayna would be good. I felt it wasn't the right time to switch the belt so I'm glad they didn't yet. Io needs more build up before that happens.

Just now, TildeGuy~! said:

The commentary ruined it for me, especially the ladder match.  Beth doing her Renee “ohhh” impression for near on 2 hours didn’t help, Mauro in overdrive and Nigel who has no emotion in his voice what so ever.

I don't mind Beth, the biggest problem she faces is that she struggles to get a word in with Mauro, and to a lesser extent Nigel.  Mauro was unbearable at times during the ladder match and the last thing I want to hear while the guys are killing themselves in there is his constant screaming and squealing.

Good for a show that I felt had no real buzz around it. Agree with HG on the Riddle/Strong match. Best of the night.

Breeze and Dream didnt really click.

The amount of feigned and hit super kicks in the main event was fucking ridiculous. Someone needs to put a ban on them for many, many years.

I know its his 'good god almighty' but Mauros 'mamma mia' is just lame, some of his references are so far removed someone needs to have a word.

Wont be watching this but meltzer said the main event was one of the greatest wwe matches of all time (after rating the last Cole/gargano match as the greatest wwe match of all time, which I also didn’t see). Was it really that good?

3 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Wont be watching this but meltzer said the main event was one of the greatest wwe matches of all time (after rating the last Cole/gargano match as the greatest wwe match of all time, which I also didn’t see). Was it really that good?

No

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

More super kicks then a  young bucks match. Only Johnny’s entrance gear was superior to their previous match

The main event, just bordered on ridiculous for me. I really hope that they are done now, but can see Gargano coming out and saying technically they are 2-2 now so they need a decider, I just hope it's on NXT TV and not on a takeover.

Riddle/Strong was much better, looked more like a fight and they both looked superb. Glad Riddle won, I'd do Cole/Riddle at the next Takeover.

4 team ladder match was bonkers as expected, I enjoyed the end sequence.

Velveteen Dream is still the MVP of this brand, just fantastic again. Also makes me laugh how over Breeze was here compared to when he comes out to complete silence/confusion on the main shows. I hope Dream stays in NXT forever.