NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

I was following along during that time period; I bought the PPVs and would occasionally get a few shows from a SMV sale. But I struggled to keep up with all the websites and theories and really bloody long forum posts about time travel. So to me, as you pointed out with the Titor reference and Archie's doppelganger, it looked like CHIKARA was genuinely running a time-travel story line. And you are right in that real story was a lot more mundane.

Just got round to watching this weeks show.

* Fucking hell, that Dream segment was a fucking monstrosity. Couldn’t carry a tune if you gave him a bucket, and why would you give him that to do if that was the case. They must have gone to him with what was written and he’s just said “alright yeah fine I can do that”

* “The battle of Winterfell was epic, but wait till you see the Battle of Winter Park” - oh sod off Ranallo

* Whose truck is that that Undisputed Era keeps hanging around in?

* In two minds about the Kushida debut. I’ve nothing against him fighting from underneath against the much larger Ohno, that’s the way it should be. But why have that as his first match? Stick him in there with someone who take all of his flashy shit. And also, what is with the Back To The Future stuff? I know he had all that in New Japan and it’s better than just being ‘Japanese lad’, but what’s the relevance of it? You’ve got Ranallo going “something something George McFly” and “ooh, there’s the Hoverboard Lock!”, where’s the background info on him? Those videos they did on Finn Balor and his Lego or Roderick Strong and his back garden, they did more for them than anything they did in-ring the first few times, but we’re just supposed to know all this BTTF stuff and thereby know Kushida on first viewing. Rather than show him in the crowd at Takeover or “here’s Kushida having a photo with HHH & Regal, he’ll be here in 2 weeks” or “it’s the signing of the hottest free agent in the business”, show us & tell us why! It’s just fucking lazy

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Awards Moderator
On 5/8/2019 at 11:42 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

Dominick Dijakovic underwent knee surgery yesterday and is out for around 3 months. That rematch with Keith Lee is going to be fucking amazing when it finally happens 

You couldn’t script it. They need a little ticker like Santino’s Honkameter noting the total days in the making this rematch has had.

Unmemorable episode this week. Main event should be watched on mute - the “both these guys” and “fight forever” chants took me right out of it.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Riddick's come back looking a lot leaner and better, interested if this Simon System gimmick lasts though.

I had a revelation during the main event - when they bring Riddle up to the main roster, they should give him the full facepaint and tassles and have him work the Ultimate Warrior's gimmick.  When he goes all angry face the similarity is uncanny.

I know Vikings were all about pillaging and all that, but come on now

27C2204A-D0E1-42A4-BD39-112EE970440F_zps

Better match for Kushida this week, but it does seem we’re just supposed to know why he’s all Back To The Future puns.

While I’m not the biggest fan of Adam Cole, he’s a decent talker. Roderick Strong has been hanging around with him for over a year so you’d hope some of that would’ve rubbed off on him, but nope, he still got all the personality of a Rich Tea

Edited by WyattSheepMask

NXT's new theme is terrible, terrible. What is this 1999? No hooks, no punch, just screaming brown insipid tosh. Seemed like they'd got a clue with the last Takeover's theme. Fucking Slipnot lol.

What's happened to Regal? I love the guy, always guaranteed to entertain. These days he just seems depressed.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

20 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

NXT's new theme is terrible, terrible. What is this 1999? No hooks, no punch, just screaming brown insipid tosh. Seemed like they'd got a clue with the last Takeover's theme. Fucking Slipnot lol.

What's happened to Regal? I love the guy, always guaranteed to entertain. These days he just seems depressed.

It's Slipknot isn't it?  If Nev were still posting on here you'd be getting an earful right now.

But yeah, it's bloody awful and the accompanying video is also really bad.  A rare misstep - let's blame Vince.

• Awards Moderator

If we’re supposed to be impressed by Kushida they’re not really giving him the best opportunities so far, he was fine against Kona but didn’t do anything that made him stand out to me.

On the plus side, Keith Lee is back so despite Dijakovic’s injury we can continue the build to the rematch. Mauro’s reference to Cesar Bononi being similar to DD in physique was a clear hint that it’s still happening.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

If we’re supposed to be impressed by Kushida they’re not really giving him the best opportunities so far, he was fine against Kona but didn’t do anything that made him stand out to me.

This seems to be a common theme in NXT. They bring over these non-WWE names and throw them against random opponents with little-to-no fanfare. They then proceed to have 50/50 matches where they sell for half of it. Happened to Keith Lee, happened to Aliester Black, happened to Roderick Strong, now it's happening to KUSHIDA. 

It did Roddy and Keith no favours, and Black managed to get by on his entrance until they stuck him in that feud with Velveteen.

If they are going to carry on with this backwards way of bringing in new stars, at least have the debuting wrestler control most of the match. Better yet, do it the proper way, and have them crush a couple of nobodies to get their characters and finisher over first before dumping them with Ohno and Kona.

I think I'll be taking a break from the NXT weeklys for a while, as it's quickly becoming a chore despite it's short length.

Edited by Accident Prone

* Oh yay, Zigglers back to stink up Smackdown and Tyler Breeze is back on NXT. 200 odd people under contract, and you’ve still got these pieces of deadwood hanging around

* You know why Stan Hansen looked menacing with his cowbell? Because he’d actually swing it about, not just hold it a few centimetres from his hand

* I’m suprised they haven’t gone for an Iron Man Match between Cole and Gargano at Takeover, unless they’re putting the belt on Cole and going for it at Takeover: Toronto in August

* I’m sure that Takeover will good on the night as they do tend to be, but the build for it hasn’t been anywhere near the usual standard and while not a bad card considering the post-Mania call ups, but the fact you’ve had to draft in Tyler Breeze to make up the numbers is a worry

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• 2 weeks later...