NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I thought the Randy Orton would be the prototype for their production line talent rather than early 2000s indy.

To an extent, I think it is. 

We hear constant complaints of NXT talent being misused on the main roster, but there's a clear distinction between the ex-indie NXT talent getting called up, and the Performance Center "graduates". 

Baron Corbin retired Kurt Angle, Lars Sullivan is starting out with a monster push, Elias is a featured part of most shows, Braun Strowman is - despite everything - still a top level talent, and so on. Velveteen Dream is likely to be the next breakout star from NXT. All of those guys are far more "Randy Orton" than they are "early 2000s indy".

I think what we're seeing is the nature of NXT changing, so that the "super indie" business model is the public face of the product, while most of the actual developmental work, and building who Vince/WWE sees the true stars as being, is happening off-camera.

22 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Luke Harper vs Dominik Dijakovic from that Worlds Collide show was a fun little heavyweight match. Great to see Harper back and getting over as a babyface. It'll break my heart if they stick him back with Bray Wyatt.

He requested his release today 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Paid Members

Undisputed Era. Don't get it. How is anyone excited about these fucking nerds? Seriously, people fantasy booking them against The Shield? Wouldn't even buy that 8 on 3. Adam Cole and his skinny arms do nothing for me. Not seen anyone look more like an accountant playing wrestler than Roddy Strong. Not since IRS. The goofy one is alright but even he is Planet Stasiak level fun. Some good lines from Johnny but not promising that this is what he was to work with. 

Enjoyed the Dream/Murphy match and the main event angle. Though, for someone as switched on as Dream, going from being "knocked out" to hitting the finishing sequence in 20 seconds is sloppy. Really irked by McGuinness's line that Dream just passed his biggest test. Why you shitting on Riddle and the Takeover match for a guy who is not on your brand? Poor stuff. Commentary was hit and miss as usual. Mauro's "more Flash than Adobe" line was an eye roller 😂

Always nice to see Regal.

They should almost always treat guys coming down from the proper roster as being the biggest test of an NXT wrestler - even when it’s Buddy Murphy from 205 Live. The call-up is (or should be) presented as the big goal for everyone, so the chance to beat someone who has already had it is huge.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

They should almost always treat guys coming down from the proper roster as being the biggest test of an NXT wrestler - even when it’s Buddy Murphy from 205 Live. The call-up is (or should be) presented as the big goal for everyone, so the chance to beat someone who has already had it is huge.

That's the only bit I disagree with. I'm a big fan of Murphy but he's not a big enough name to justify the point. It doesn't fit the story you just told or the one you'll want us to buy next time Riddle is on the screen. It just doesn't need it. Plus Dream scraped through the Riddle match for that very reason. He beat Murphy conclusively. Just feel the commentary is all over the place on this show. Like that little package before the main event that announced Viking Experience on Raw despite us seeing them as War Raiders earlier in the show. Bit messy.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That's the only bit I disagree with. I'm a big fan of Murphy but he's not a big enough name to justify the point.

He's just a Poundstretcher Kenny Dykstra.