NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

R-Truth isn’t the best example, because he’s brilliant when he does pop up into a storyline now and again, and I think part of that is down to him not being overexposed like the guys who are on every week for years.

You're right. But then I think Truth is a talented guy who just makes the best of all sorts of nonsense. He's also a valuable and experienced hand. There are loads of others who just don't have that ability to flit in from nowhere and be anything other than the jabroni they were before. There's nothing wrong with that, you need those guys but the fact they never progress or change is part of the real stale feeling. They seem to be cycling a lot of guys in but not enough out.

Usually the post Takeover shows are a bit of nothing with a couple of undercard matches, but something actually significant happened this week.  Mia Yim got a 2nd clean pinfall victory in a row over Bianca Belair!

These two have had really good matches, but I did expect Belair to win the rubber match.  She's gone from being un-de-fea-ted to losing 2 in a row.  Seems odd for someone who's so obviously destined for greatness but I guess Yim is being positioned as the next opponent for Baszler.

Also Keith Lee had probably his best match so far.  He's started selling like a big man, taking a lot of stuff on one knee and then powering up and throwing his opponent about.  This is much better than the "look how athletic he is for a big man" schtick he's been doing up till now.  

I genuinely don't know what they do with all these guys though, like Keith Lee.  He's 34 so realistically you'd want to move him up to the main roster and make some money with him, but who wants to join Raw or Smackdown at the moment?  It's like a slaughterhouse up there.

• Paid Members

I'm only just getting caught up on the latest TakeOver show. I'd watched most of it, bar the main event, which I saw today. Quick thoughts:

- Mauro Ranallo was woeful, yet again. I just can't be having him. I actually completely muted him for about ten minutes during the ladder match as he was driving me bonkers. He's consistently the worst of thing about NXT for me. 

- The main event was ridiculous. Absolutely nonsense. The crowd here loved it, but it just wasn't for me at all. In fact, I think both of these guys have a habit of bringing out each others worst tendencies. I think it was @BomberPat that mentioned Gargano's character arc as well - the second they turned him heel he was goosed, with the sharp turn back again I couldn't care about him one bit. 

-Velveteen Dream continues to be the best thing in WWE, along with Brock Lesnar, Goldberg, and the R-Truth 24/7 title saga. It wasn't his best match, but I love him. 

-Riddle and Strong put on a really good opener, and Kyle O'Reilly is fucking nuts. He's bound to be hurting for a couple of weeks after that one. 

• Paid Members

I think Drew Gulak is nicknamed the Philadelphia Stretcher.

If they’d said Philadelphia Stretcher more often, I might have been sure he was called the Philadelphia Stretcher.

Philadelphia Stretcher.

• 2 weeks later...

Are they waiting on Dijakovic to return for Keith Lee?  Seems odd that Lee is still only in squash matches.

I like that they're riding the wave of Undisputed Era's popularity instead of boxing them in as typical heels or faces. They should continue this 'championship tour' for a few weeks. Even if I'm not into his matches, Cole's no doubt got a lot of presence. Not too hot about them (seemingly) running Cole vs Johnny Blando again though, I must say. NXT definitely has its share of overstretched feuds and dodgy booking.

Like, how does Io Shirai losing clean as a sheet and acting like a sore loser earn her another title shot? In a cage match? I liked the match, the run-ins and stuff built the drama well, Sharai's moonsault was amazing and should be running on the opening highlight reels.  Happy to see her turn bad too, the cutesy Rey Mysterio tribute thing wasn't clicking and turning heel seems like a push in the right direction character-wise.

Io turning does have me worried they're planning to put Shayna down onto the main roster though. She's the best heel on the planet and I think there's still plenty left in the tank for this run. If it were me I'd have her steamroll through everyone else in the division cos, honestly, I don't see anybody that's worthy of putting her down. Then just as it seems like there's no hope - BOOM! - Sara Amato appears and completely destroys her. Baszler uses some excuse about not being prepared for the unknown fighter, calls it a fluke and ta-da!, we have a proper main event women's rivalry. Book it Paul!

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Are they waiting on Dijakovic to return for Keith Lee?  Seems odd that Lee is still only in squash matches.

I was thinking this. Lee's been there, what, a year now? And he's still in the "look, a new guy you know from the indies" stage. Feels strange watching somebody tread water for this long, and presumably continuing to do so until the Chinese Democracy rematch with Dijakovic.

3 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I’ve always preferred Io Shirai as a heel, I look forward to her destroying Candice Le Rae and then getting the belt put on her. 

She definitely needed something. Her talent wasn't in doubt but we've never really been given a reason to care beyond her being Kairi's mate. That was never enough to make her into a legit NXT champion. Now this has happened I hope it's the edge to push her right to the top.