NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

I'm loving the Breakout Tournament so far, but why does everything these days have to be for a title opportunity of the winner's choosing?

It's a tournament for new faces, make it for the 'midcard' title. That should be incentive enough for those guys.

14 minutes ago, Statto said:

I'm loving the Breakout Tournament so far, but why does everything these days have to be for a title opportunity of the winner's choosing?

It's a tournament for new faces, make it for the 'midcard' title. That should be incentive enough for those guys.

It’s like when Low Ki won NXT Series 2 and decided to challenge Dolph Ziggler for the Intercontinental Title. He has a World title match on a plate, and decides to have a match with that gobshite.

Having said that, it did give us this which I could watch all day, so every cloud and all that

zbPeP5H.mp4

• Awards Moderator

If their aim with this Mia Yim thing is to make me think “you know what, Shayna’s actually the babyface in all this” - Shayna, the purest heel they’ve had in years - then they’re succeeding. If I’m supposed to like Mia Yim then what a fucking failure.

Bianca Belair was great this week. Io Shirai has properly clicked now she’s got some character beyond “look someone from Japan - like her because she’s good”.

Loved the reaction Pete Dunne got - really nice to see him back and he felt like a proper star with everyone jumping up and down in excitement. Well, almost everyone. Everton fan got so excited he made no reaction and immediately got his phone out. Kind of contrast to him hamming it up during Velveteen’s entrance. I try not to notice these fans anymore but this one is so distracting.

That dive catch is probably the best thing Keith Lee has done in NXT, but I’m out. It’s been a year and I still don’t get it, I’ve got no interest or investment in him. Even that rematch with Dijakovic probably wouldn't have been as good as the six months of build so far, including this weekend hints that the Priest match might have gone to a similar double count out, suggest.  

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

If their aim with this Mia Yim thing is to make me think “you know what, Shayna’s actually the babyface in all this” - Shayna, the purest heel they’ve had in years - then they’re succeeding. If I’m supposed to like Mia Yim then what a fucking failure.

Bianca Belair was great this week.

Loved the reaction Pete Dunne got - really nice to see him back and he felt like a proper star with everyone jumping up and down in excitement. Well, almost everyone. Everton fan got so excited he made no reaction and immediately got his phone out. Kind of contrast to him hamming it up during Velveteen’s entrance. I try not to notice these fans anymore but this one is so distracting.

That dive catch is probably the best thing Keith Lee has done in NXT, but I’m out. It’s been a year and I still don’t get it, I’ve got no interest or investment in him. Even that rematch with Dijakovic probably wouldn't have been as good as the six months of build so far, including this weekend hints that the Priest match might have gone to a similar double count out, suggest.  

He’s been at the last two AEW shows too, although saying that they have both been in Florida. I know someone on here went to one of the NXT tapings earlier this year and said that he’s ok, but on AEW’s Fight For The Fallen, the microphone picked up two odd bits from him, and it was definitely him because he’s that bloody loud. The first was in Brandi Rhodes v Allie match where he says to Brandi (as she’s getting back in the ring) “you’re going to choke on my fingers later”, and later during Cody & Dustin v Young Bucks, he says something to Cody Rhodes about “showing his butthole”

Edited by WyattSheepMask

He's absolutely insufferable, that fan.  If he really said that to Brandi he should get slung out of any AWE shows from now on.

It's great when the crowd participate but not when they start to think of themselves as a character on the show, which he does.  I prefer Old Hogan Guy, another regular who was also at Raw on Monday.

Human slug aside, it was a good show this week.  

Bianca Belair is a star, and shouldn't take any more losses before taking the title from Shayna.  

Dream and Dunne have great chemistry, and that 3 way will be good.  Poor Roddy though - as good as he is in ring, he's pretty awful on the mic.

I should totally love Keith Lee - big hoss working a big man style.  But that match with Priest was just so lacklustre in terms of genuine energy.  Obviously Damien Priest is still really green, but still.

I wonder if they should just move Lee straight up to Smackdown or something.  I have a suspicion he might actually do better up against bigger guys in front of larger audiences.  He's not working in NXT, and it's weird to see that his storyline is basically about how he doesn't fit in.

I too am interested in what will happen to NXT if it does get a proper tv deal.  The developmental feeling is actually great, and a big part of the appeal, but it's something they may have to drop once they're expected to compete in tv ratings.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

He's absolutely insufferable, that fan.  If he really said that to Brandi he should get slung out of any AWE shows from now on.

Here’s the bit, forgive the crude recording on my phone of the TV.

for point of reference, you hear him say “you suck Brandi” towards the beginning, and the choke line comes as she gets into the ring towards the end

————————

As for this week, decent episode and great pop for Pete Dunne.

Johnny Gargano is a great wrestler, but he’s a fucking shite promo. His 5 second dramatic pauses, his looks off camera, all of it just awful

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Just now, adequate8 said:

What was this? Intrigued

Garza's on the floor, opponent steps out of the ring, places a foot on the edge of the ring apron, Garza whips it away causing opponent to bump spectacularly on the edge of the ring, which, I believe the commentators have mentioned once or twice, is the hardest part of the ring.