NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

It was a good show overall but there was discernible difference between hour one and hour two. Hour one on the USA Network felt fresh and exciting, whereas hour two on the WWE Network felt like the NXT of old, with average squashes and certain people (Aliyah) not looking at all ready for television. 

Still, glad to see they’re likely merging NXT with 205 Live and NXT UK. That was always the best way forward. 

That blistering opener was probably my favourite WWE women’s match all year. Super fun.

I enjoyed the big brawl at the end but surely I’m not the only one who thought it needed an exclamation point? As the show was going off the air I was convinced someone’s music was going to hit for a big pop, whether it be Ciampa returning or someone moving from Smackdown or Raw. As it was it just felt silly and awkward to go off the air with guys still scrapping without any definitive punctuation.

Definitely a thumbs up though. If the NXT guys are going to start getting similar pay to those on Raw and Smackdown I bet there’ll be a tonne of guys asking to be transferred over in the draft.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Xia Li/Aaliyah was hilariously bad

Aaliyah has been in NXT for what feels like 6 years and she didn’t seem to have a clue what she was doing during the match. 

It baffles me they still use Aliyah on tv. She’s awful and hasn’t improved at all. I still remember Regal giving her a bollocking on Breaking Ground. To think, they have Chelsea Green and Deonna Purrazzo who they aren’t using on tv at all, yet Aliyah gets used on most tapings.

32 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I enjoyed the big brawl at the end but surely I’m not the only one who thought it needed an exclamation point? As the show was going off the air I was convinced someone’s music was going to hit for a big pop, whether it be Ciampa returning or someone moving from Smackdown or Raw. As it was it just felt silly and awkward to go off the air with guys still scrapping without any definitive punctuation.

This. I was waiting for Kevin Owens music to hit but it never came and it just felt a bit flat.

Probably doesnt mean anything but Walters name graphic said NXT UK Champion instead of WWE UK Champion.

Imperium and Undisputed Era on the same show might be a bit overkill. 

Last time I saw Walter he was wearing a trenchcoat with Nazi overtones and looked like a badass.  Now he's wearing his tracky bums with his mates, they look like a National League coaching squad.  Awful look, just awful.

Aaliyah, to be fair I think she got her bell rung pretty early in that match, the ref was chatting with her quite a bit and talking to the back, they may have cut the thing short.  She's still no good but that might not have been her fault.

Apart from that, pretty good opening episode.  There's a LOT of depth in this roster in all divisions, and in a typical NXT move they've laid out exciting matches for the next few episodes.

One thing I noticed - USA seem to have asked them to turn the light up as the whole show was more brightly lit than it used to be.  On the one hand, that allows you to see the wrestlers better BUT it exposes the small venue a bit more.  I liked the dim NXT style, it felt old school and raw.  Also, you can now more clearly see Everton Fan guy - who had his stinky strip on this week presumably so he could get his character over to a new audience.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Loki said:

Aaliyah, to be fair I think she got her bell rung pretty early in that match, the ref was chatting with her quite a bit and talking to the back, they may have cut the thing short.  She's still no good but that might not have been her fault.

Great point to be made with the live nature of the shows. NXT have always had the luxury of editing to make sub-par matches and segments come across better, so I'm very curious to see who's flaws are flagged up in this new environment.

Edited by Accident Prone

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Last time I saw Walter he was wearing a trenchcoat with Nazi overtones and looked like a badass.  Now he's wearing his tracky bums with his mates, they look like a National League coaching squad.  Awful look, just awful.

He still wears the trench coat, it’s his ring gear, I don’t mind the tracky look, they’re a bunch of foreigners who probably meet up on the weekend to watch Rapid Vienna in the Austrian league, I’d rather that then Undisputed Era who come to the ring in matching vests and in their pants. 

Edited by TildeGuy~!