Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Boy said:

What do people think is gonna come out of this doc? There is a pic of Austin there too, and he’s hinted cena is involved. 

Fuck all, it's 25 minutes long so I don't think it's John Pilger level journalism.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

I'm gonna #start hashtagging random words from now on _!_

#I #bet #you #will.

I clicked on #his (in between sucking and cock) nothing special. I’m unfamiliar with Instagram and maybe I don’t understand hashtags. I thought it was supposed to link you to a specific thing/object/person (in this case Roman Reigns) not 80,000 images associated to ‘his’.

If it’s just the latter, what’s the fucking point?  

• Paid Members

Hashtags started just over 10 years ago on Twitter: https://www.geeksaresexy.net/2017/08/23/hashtagturns10/

Long story short, a user came up with the idea of putting the hash symbol in front of a word so that you could have a virtual group discussion. By having the hash symbol, you could search for people specifically wanting to be part of that group discussion rather than people who just happened to be using that word.

Originally you had to manually search for the term (including the symbol.) Eventually it caught on enough that Twitter changed its code so that anything with the hash symbol becomes a clickable link (which effectively searches for the hashtag.) The 140 character limit (as was) meant people didn't have room to over do it, so in most cases it was used as originally designed with people adding one relevant hashtag where relevant.

However, Instagram added the feature and lets you add up to 30 hashtags to a single post, so marketers and spammers started adding as many as they could think of, which ordinary users started copying. That pretty much makes them useless for actually finding relevant results.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, JNLister said:

90% of it would be me pointing out that the hashtag is the whole thing (the # symbol and then the word) so saying "hashtag" followed by the word is wrong.

I have the same sentiment whenever I hear someone say “PIN number”.