Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It makes me wonder how much merit there is in WWE's apparent strategy of appealing to emergent markets by giving them a "national hero" type - Jinder for India, the Chinese signings they've made, and so on. It makes sense on paper, but do audiences in these countries want or need someone purpose-built to appeal to them, or do they just want to see the big stars they're watching on TV? Is it a bit backwards these days to assume that the way to appeal to a new audience is to give them someone who looks like them, or is there still merit in that?

While I'd have still been hooked anyway on the likes of Hogan, Taker, and Bret, it meant a lot to me - and I think my friends too - that we had a homegrown hero in the WWF, with the British Bulldog wearing the Union Jack and coming out to Rule Britannia, looking every bit the equal of the top American stars. It gave us another level of connection, a belief that we too could be a part of this far off fantasy world if Davey Boy could do it.

So perhaps it's the same for new fans around the world today when they're given a national representative they can identify with in a different way to Cena, Styles, etc.

I hope its over. I just loathe that Nakamura was sacrificed for it.

There was an interesting google search analysis done a while back that showed that, with the exception of the day he won the title, Jinder was getting wayyy less google searches in India than Cena and Reigns. Not even in the same ballpark.

• Paid Members

Reigns apparently got a monster pop on the India show, too.

Nakamura being sacrificed to Jinder was bonkers, and he's not recovered at all. I assumed it would go to a screwy finish - something moreso than just another Singh Brothers run-in - to protect him, but they didn't bother at all.

It just didn't make sense either - Nakamura shouldn't have been rushed into a title match so soon, especially not against that lug, he shouldn't have been losing high profile matches that soon, and wasn't yet established enough that Jinder would even get a rub from beating him in the first place. On top of that, you're killing whatever worth Jinder has a foreign heel for the American market by booking him against another foreigner so you don't even get a lazy patriotism angle, and throwing in a bunch of hideously dated "flied lice" promos from Jinder - which, I guess, in more nuanced hands could have been used to paint Jinder as a hypocrite for throwing racially motivated abuse at Nakamura while complaining of racism himself, but from WWE, just came across as utterly tone-deaf.

• Paid Members

Wasn't the other issue with Jinder in India that not only was he not actually from India, ethnically his family background is actually a minority group in India. He does't even speak the same dialect as most of India. More than anything though I think WWE just don't get that most countries don't have the same level of blind patriotism as the US. Most countries aren't going to cheer, go mental and spend loads of money on someone just because someone is from the same country as them.

21 minutes ago, D@mm said:

Brock Vs Rocky would be awesome, would they do it as a prequel to one of the other Rocky's as surely they can't have Rocky Balboa the age they have had him in the last film on the franchise.

Lesnar could be playing the part of Victor Drago in Creed 2.

Seeing Brock in a movie opposite Sly is just surreal if it turns out to be the case.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I’d wager that it’s Dolph Lundgren’s arm you can see in the half a poster Sly posted on Instagram after the Brock photo..

Not Shawn Michaels' chin?