Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

The big winners in the streaming market will be someone who buys subscriptions to the big players wholesale and offers them all in one place. Sky and Virgin have already started doing it(Sky with Spotify and Netflix in adition to their own OD stuff and Virgin with Netflix and Prime Video), and both are offering NF and Prime cheaper than they would be seperatly. On Sky, Netflix is only £5.99 a month for the sub with UHD and 4 log ins. Half of what it is direct.

As for the WWE Network, my subscription is well worth the tenner. I watch almost exclusivly old WCW and WWF, my eldest watches a good mix of current stuff and mid-2000 content and my youngest only watches the current womans division stuff. I certainly wouldn't complain if Prime(for example) got all the content if it's included in the normal payment, but I can't see me or anyone in my family ever going back to paying for shows on a pay-per-view basis.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:17 AM, The King Of Swing said:

Imo £9.99 for such an expansive catalogue of classic content is a fucking bargain. If I remember correctly some were actually saying that WWE undervalued wrestling content online.

Wrestling wise the majority of promotions streaming services are cheaper but have nowhere near the amount of content.

A bargain... Yes.. But we are also in an economic time where people haven't got the money to burn on content. I personally wouldd ditch it if they moved ppvs to other providers. Not because I'm watching ever ppv but take something I have now and don't drop the price and I'll walk. 

It's part of the reason my fandom dropped off in 2002 ish when they put a price on UK fans for the ppvs. 

• Paid Members

I'm close to reconsidering my Network subscription for the first time since it launched. 

I watched the Royal Rumble, but didn't watch TLC or When Worlds Collide, and I can't remember if I watched all of Survivor Series. I've barely watched NXT since it was uploaded on a delay as it threw out my schedule of when to watch it, and then just fell out of the habit. The app stopped working on my PS4, so it fell out of my set of things to throw on if I've got time to kill. I got the app up and running again last night, scrolled through recently added, and there just seemed to be an absolute dearth of content. No more Hidden Gems, but more god-awful WWE studio discussion shows. 

• Paid Members

I haven't had the network for around 18 months until signing up again under a new email address to get a free month two weeks ago.

TBH at the moment I'm enjoying the documentaries on the old stuff so that should keep me going a while as the Tom Magee/Bret match, Lex Express 3 hour documentary etc weren't there last time, and some of the Table for Three's are ok.

I have zero interest in the new stuff, the closest thing to the current product I've watched is the documentary on Seth Rollins fucking up Sting's neck (which shockingly is 5 years ago now!)

But I may keep it going for a few months as a change in circumstances means my and the Mrs' work patters don't align like they did, giving me more time on my own to watch socially unacceptable stuff like 1996 episodes of Raw.

There's always enough original content on there to keep me going, plus the specials/PPVs. Even if the current product isn't fantastic, their backstage stuff is arguably the best it ever has been, although a lot of that is just on Youtube anyway. It does make it all the more frustrating when their TV product is shite.

• Awards Moderator

@BomberPat makes a very important point with NXT. It's only a day or two later than it used to be, but that rescheduling has had a domino effect on when, how much and what I watch on the Network. I used to have a fairly solid routine of NXT, UK and 205 each week. I'd usually get through the latter two in about 45 minutes on a Thursday night with time to spare for NXT proper. Now I can't see NXT until Friday, it's thrown it all off and I haven't bothered with UK since Takeover or 205 since before Christmas. I only just find the time for NXT itself alongside Dynamite on a Saturday now.

I still try to watch all the PPVs, but change in personal circumstances means I cook far less than I used to, and cooking was when I'd have the classic footage on in the background. When I was making the tea 3 or 4 times a week I'd get through a decent number of old PPVs. I'm only able to do that once a week now. I managed to get through my traditional 'two or three old Royal Rumbles to get me in the mood' and a couple of Jushin Liger matches around his retirement. That's been it for me this year on the vintage stuff.

Closest I've been to dropping the Network entirely was the very early days of Dynamite and NWA Powerrrrrrr. Free alternatives! But I never really got into NWA, and it's still rare I enjoy Dynamite more than NXT in the same week, so it's hanging on by a whisker. Will reevaluate after WrestleMania.

• Paid Members

If they took the PPVs off, my hope would be that they'd feel the pressure to add something whether it's more "indy shows", a faster paced upload of vintage shows or whatever, rather than literally just say "the main attraction has gone but it's still a tenner."