Richie Freebird

Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Andrade has been suspended for 30 days due to a wellness policy violation

Ah, that makes sense.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:57 AM, Egg Shen said:

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/chris-wilson-aka-justice-pain-passed-away-age-41?amp&__twitter_impression=true

41 he was. Sad news, i was all over that early 00's CZW-era and Justice Pain was a massive part of that. Only ever thing i see about him these days though is when the clip of Necro Butcher punching fuck out of him during Cage of Death gets shared about from time to time.

Did he have the incident with Messiah stemming from xpw?

Whatever happened to the messiah anyway? 

3 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Did he have the incident with Messiah stemming from xpw?

Whatever happened to the messiah anyway? 

He stumped his nose at wrestling and retired prior to 2019.

CyberAgent(Also own DDT) have bought out Pro Wresting NOAH and have put DDT president Sanshiro Takagi in charge.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

I haven't followed NOAH in a looong time but they always seemed to be the complete opposite of eachother so it'll be interesting to see if they interact.

NOAH's next show will be on DDT Universe, and stuff will be streaming fairly regularly from thereon in. Likely means greater commitment to translations and English language content, too. All good timing, as it seems like NOAH's really turned a corner in the last few months.

Makes perfect sense for CyberAgent too, to bring in a company that's largely the opposite of what DDT do - no sense in buying out similar companies and just replicating what DDT are already doing, but a lot of logic in bringing in more straight-laced wrestling that will appeal to people who don't "get" DDT. 

Interesting that NOAH were one of the first companies rumoured to be on the verge of collaborating with WWE, and are now the second Japanese company in that position in a short space of time to sell up to a larger Japanese conglomerate.

It also puts NOAH, or NOAH/DDT, in a better position to try and compete with NJPW.

Edited by BomberPat

Looks like Takagi will solely be a business manager and Cyber Agent will be hands off, so the wrestling side shouldn't change much.

The press conference suggested it'll be more a case of the odd guy doing occasional dates/tours with the other promotion rather than any full on interpromotional stuff.

Edited by JNLister

It really is an amazing thing that, from about 2000 to about 2007, NOAH was one of Japan's two biggest companies (arguably the biggest at the time), and now it seems to have gone the way of AJPW. I suppose the nearest challenger to NJPW now would be DragonGate? They've been very well run and managed since the re-branding in 2004.

DragonGate were definitely a de facto number two promotion for years, and maybe still are, though NOAH have been on the resurgence in recent months, and I wouldn't object to someone making the argument for DDT sitting above DG on the pecking order these days. I'm completely out of touch with Dragon Gate, AJPW, and up until recently with NOAH, though. 

NOAH seem to have turned a corner with some smart rebranding and scaling back, and then going hard on the promotion for their 20th anniversary this year. They drew upwards of 1500 to Korakuen Hall for their first two shows of this year, despite clashing with Wrestle Kingdom. 

7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

They drew upwards of 1500 to Korakuen Hall for their first two shows of this year, despite clashing with Wrestle Kingdom. 

That’s probably the reason they drew that number in the first place, with so many tourists travelling over to watch Wrestle Kingdom.

Stardom drew 1600 at Korakuen just last week.

that would make sense for night two, but on January 4th they ran head-to-head with Wrestle Kingdom, so any tourists in town for NJPW would have been at Wrestle Kingdom, surely? 

FREEDOMS drew over 1500 there on Christmas Day, although that generally seems to be their biggest show of the year. I only caught the main event but it was pretty nasty, funny seeing so many old women watching an absolute bloodbath on xmas day.