Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

The general consensus that I've seen is that Barrios and Williams wanted to run WWE like a proper business and not make rash moves against any alleged competition, whereas McMahon wants a war with his main rivals, AEW (hence why McMahon says they left due to strategic differences in the press release).

I know it's McMahon, but that's still insane. The gulf between WWE and AEW is galactic. That Dynamite is competing with NXT and not RAW or SmackDown should be evidence enough. What's to go to war with? 

It also highlights why any new promotion trying to promote some kind of war with WWE is fucking stupid too. It'd be fine if WWE was indeed 100% run like a corporate, because then they would just ignore any upstarts carrying on, and just get on with their business. But they're run by a guy who just can't let sort of thing slide in any way, even if it costs him, and AEW are being booked by guys who know this. It's strategically idiotic.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I know it's McMahon, but that's still insane. The gulf between WWE and AEW is galactic. That Dynamite is competing with NXT and not RAW or SmackDown should be evidence enough. What's to go to war with?

Well, that’s the point. Snuff any competition before it gets too big. That’s how you maintain a monopoly. Why let AEW get bigger and then start competing with them…?

It’s not Vince being Vince, it’s just a company doing everything in its power to maintain its market share. They’re competing for customers’ dollars. They’re not going to want to share that.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Well, that’s the point. Snuff any competition before it gets too big. That’s how you maintain a monopoly. Why let AEW get bigger and then start competing with them…?

It’s not Vince being Vince, it’s just a company doing everything in its power to maintain its market share. They’re competing for customers’ dollars. They’re not going to want to share that.

I get that, but AEW aren't anywhere near in real terms. They're closer to RoH than they are to WWE. TNA came closer a few years ago, and I don't remember Vince pulling out any particular stops to fuck them up either (although one could argue he didn't have to).

• Paid Members

Internationalisation seems to have been Barrios' major project, I wonder how much of this has been a result of NXT Japan and the Indian project being a complete non-starter, and him having to fall on his sword for it.

That it's two high ranking execs, and with this timing, makes me think it's something far bigger/more complex than "Vince is angry at Cody Rhodes".

Having both Stardom and NOAH bought out right from under them probably at least played a part in his departure imo.

I suspect that both promotions owners were probably using WWE as leverage to get better deals in Japan.

WWE was always going to struggle to get a real foothold over there imo.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Internationalisation seems to have been Barrios' major project, I wonder how much of this has been a result of NXT Japan and the Indian project being a complete non-starter, and him having to fall on his sword for it.

That it's two high ranking execs, and with this timing, makes me think it's something far bigger/more complex than "Vince is angry at Cody Rhodes".

I don't think it's solely AEW that caused this massive departure, but AEW securing at least four more years of TV time along with WWE battling for and locking down talent probably didn't help matters.

House show business is down, merch is down, the WWE Network subscriber number seems to have plateaued a long while back, and as you pointed out, the NXT entities in Japan and India have seemingly gone nowhere.

It's a giant mix of reasons, but I would put safe money on the difference in strategic philosophies comes down to Barrios and Williams seeing all these falling numbers and putting forward a safer strategy whereas Vinne wants to carry on, full steam ahead and business as usual.

What with the rumbling about next week's quarterly report being real bad, there's also the possibility that they were scapegoats for the investors. They're both out, effective immediately. No sideways moves, no promotions, no demotions. Just gone, fucked off. Them being fired and given a nice tidy to sum to add to their already huge bank accounts is probably the best for all involved; Vince gets what he wants, and the two people taking the fall are going away with some extra cash and an easy to ride to another executive role at some other big company.

6 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think Nikki's engaged to the guy that was her dance partner when she was on whatever the Americans call Strictly. 

Artem Chigvintsev. He was on strictly for a while a few years ago. Wife reckons he might be angling to get into WWE. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Artem Chigvintsev. He was on strictly for a while a few years ago. Wife reckons he might be angling to get into WWE. 

Fandango returns!

12 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I get that, but AEW aren't anywhere near in real terms. They're closer to RoH than they are to WWE. TNA came closer a few years ago, and I don't remember Vince pulling out any particular stops to fuck them up either (although one could argue he didn't have to).

TNA moved to the same night and Vince put potentially the most exciting and unexpected return people could imagine at the time up against its first episode. 

I get why the timing was a bit too convenient for some people, but I do believe the version of events that Jim Ross, Bruce Prichard, and Bret himself have said over the years - that him returning on that particular show was just a happy coincidence.

WWE had offered Bret various scenarios for years but it was only December 2009 that he took the offer and signed up, then they put him straight on TV on January 4th to start the build to WrestleMania.