Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Nikki and Brie Bella have announced that they are both pregnant. 

Countdown begins to "Wrestling Facts That Make You Feel Old 2040" thread, when those two kids make their debuts.

Edited by Carbomb

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

It really is an amazing thing that, from about 2000 to about 2007, NOAH was one of Japan's two biggest companies (arguably the biggest at the time), and now it seems to have gone the way of AJPW. I suppose the nearest challenger to NJPW now would be DragonGate? They've been very well run and managed since the re-branding in 2004.

Their Yakuza links, once exposed, probably didn't help matters. Misawa's death, top guys like Morishima & Rikio retiring, Kobashi's various health issues & a resurgent NJPW eventually made NOAH something of an irrelevance. I continued to watch until 2012/13 or thereabouts, but it was struggling. Slightly surprised that NJPW have just let it go. They could have at least rescued Nakajima. Incidentally, I was communicating with a Japanese guy for quite some months & the Yak's were brought up in conversation. He claims that roughly 70-80% of Yakuza membership is/was of South Korean origin. Apparently, according to him, South Koreans are bastards and take great pleasure from mocking the Japanese. Not a perception we tend to have of them.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

Their Yakuza links, once exposed, probably didn't help matters. Misawa's death, top guys like Morishima & Rikio retiring, Kobashi's various health issues & a resurgent NJPW eventually made NOAH something of an irrelevance. I continued to watch until 2012/13 or thereabouts, but it was struggling. Slightly surprised that NJPW have just let it go. They could have at least rescued Nakajima. Incidentally, I was communicating with a Japanese guy for quite some months & the Yak's were brought up in conversation. He claims that roughly 70-80% of Yakuza membership is/was of South Korean origin. Apparently, according to him, South Koreans are bastards and take great pleasure from mocking the Japanese. Not a perception we tend to have of them.

Yeah, I can imagine that - we only need to see what happened to PRIDE to know. 

Not surprised about what that guy was saying; Japan is fairly xenophobic even when things are good, so now the world economy is shit, it's hideously nationalistic like everywhere else at the moment, especially with a reactionary prick like Abe in power, backed by racist cunts like Ishihara.

They always blame the Koreans. I often say Japan is the UK of Asia because of so many parallels, and with that analogy, I'd say that makes Korea their Ireland - the way they've treated Koreans and Korean-Japanese in the past, and the way they talk about them now, is utterly shameful.

Edited by Carbomb

Wouldn't bank on English language support for NOAH.

ddtuniverse is probably one of the least English friendly Japanese wrestling streaming services out there, they experimented with English recaps for a while but gave up on them.

Think some of the recaps are on their YouTube channel.

It's thanks to Reddit that I was able to learn anything about the TJPW roster.

• Awards Moderator

George Barrios and Michelle Williams* have "left" WWE board with immediate effect. Stock price dropped $10 straight away. 

Barrios has been the mastermind behind their international expansion. They have been kicked out unceremoniously just before an earnings report and Vince knuckles down to XFL. Strange things are going on. 

Edited by Onyx2
*Wilson. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

George Barrios and Michelle Williams have "left" WWE board with immediate effect. Stock price dropped $10 straight away. 

Barrios has been the mastermind behind their international expansion. They have been kicked out unceremoniously just before an earnings report and Vince knuckles down to XFL. Strange things are going on. 

Maybe George has managed to convince Destiny’s Child to go back out on tour and he’ll be their new tour manager?

But yeah, I thought he was doing a great job and was well liked. I saw mention of having different visions so I wonder what they were. Maybe that’s why the Network Tiers have been delayed?

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

George Barrios and Michelle Williams* have "left" WWE board with immediate effect. Stock price dropped $10 straight away. 

There's also a few rumblings that USA have paid precisely $0 for NXT.

The general consensus that I've seen is that Barrios and Williams wanted to run WWE like a proper business and not make rash moves against any alleged competition, whereas McMahon wants a war with his main rivals, AEW (hence why McMahon says they left due to strategic differences in the press release).

It's all very, very interesting whatever way you slice it.

9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Maybe George has managed to convince Destiny’s Child to go back out on tour and he’ll be their new tour manager?

My hopes have been raised for a Dawson's Creek reunion.

16 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

Jesus that bloke has no luck. 

All things considered he sounds pretty chipper about it in his Instagram post, so hopefully they're confident they've caught it soon enough.

• Paid Members

I think Nikki's engaged to the guy that was her dance partner when she was on whatever the Americans call Strictly. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

“And the skin cancer turned to me and said, with a tear in its eye, thanks for the best match I’ve ever had”

I love Bret. Hope he beats this.

This made me laugh far more than it should have.