The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

4 hours ago, scratchdj said:

@RedRoosterI bought a cheap VGA-to-HDMI box off eBay a few years back and the DC looks superb on my 55" TV.

The listing has since disappeared off eBay, but this is the picture.

171338561467_1.jpg

Thanks for this. I got my CRT TV for £10, and while it’s the best option I have available to me right now, it looks bloody weird having something that old set up in the guest bedroom. I’d love to find a good alternative, but as of yet I’ve not been able to find it. I’ll keep an eye out for this, though.

• Paid Members
On 2/1/2020 at 4:29 PM, Merzbow said:

Birmingham now had a barcade in the custard factory, 6 quid for 15 tokens and most games are 1 or 2 a go. There's a decent selection too with a bunch of fighters, nba jam and lightgun games, free consoles too.

I went to this place today. I'd have preferred it to be brighter in the venue. It's decorated in a graffiti style.

Around 20 varied machines and around 5 consoles.

Worth a visit.

https://nq64.co.uk/

They have 2 other locations in Manchester and Liverpool. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Any reccos for a retro arcade type thing around central London? 

Four Quarters in Peckham is a bar with a bunch of classic arcade cabinets - Street Fighter 2, Ms Pac-Man, House Of The Dead, Time Crisis, TNMT, and so on, plus a SNES and an N64, and WWF Pinball. 

Las Vegas Arcade in Soho is a little less retro, but has Bishi Bashi HD, which is superb, and a couple of those arcade cabinets fitted with hundreds of games.

42 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Four Quarters in Peckham is a bar with a bunch of classic arcade cabinets - Street Fighter 2, Ms Pac-Man, House Of The Dead, Time Crisis, TNMT, and so on, plus a SNES and an N64, and WWF Pinball. 

Las Vegas Arcade in Soho is a little less retro, but has Bishi Bashi HD, which is superb, and a couple of those arcade cabinets fitted with hundreds of games.

Great, thanks. I've been meaning to go to that Las Vegas one for a while. 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, BigJag said:

I went to this place today. I'd have preferred it to be brighter in the venue. It's decorated in a graffiti style.

Around 20 varied machines and around 5 consoles.

Worth a visit.

https://nq64.co.uk/

There isn’t really a dress code, just no tracksuits or chavs!

Yeah, they can piss off.

• Paid Members

Looks like the next Sega Ages releases on Switch are a version of Puyo Puyo/Doctor Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, and a port of Sonic 2, but you can pick Knuckles as well. Hopefully they're not ports of mobile versions. What we really need is the port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, handled by M2. I guess the music rights could be tricky to work out, though. 

Has anyone been following the Laird/ Kieren Hawken saga?

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/300891-the-review-of-a-z-of-atari-st-games-volume-3-book-retrolaird-is-trying-to-delete/#comments

Imagine Adam Bowler, but with Retrogames.

Quite simply the most batshit thing I've seen for ages including a 15 page apology which was anything but... 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Looks like the next Sega Ages releases on Switch are a version of Puyo Puyo/Doctor Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, and a port of Sonic 2, but you can pick Knuckles as well. Hopefully they're not ports of mobile versions. What we really need is the port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, handled by M2. I guess the music rights could be tricky to work out, though. 

I think most people wanted the mobile port of Sonic 2 because Christian Whitehead did it and it apparently vastly improved it and had a proper Hidden Palace Zone in.

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

What we really need is the port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, handled by M2. I guess the music rights could be tricky to work out, though. 

This one's been conspicuously absent from any re-release line-up for years now, and while it's not been confirmed, the music rights are commonly believed to be the reason why.

I'd like to think that at least now, in the modern age when re-releases and upgraded ports and remasters and remakes have become such a standard part of the business model, companies would take care to ensure that any new game has the rights to its content sewn up for any future versions. But I've seen no evidence of it happening so far, with them still appearing to choose the quick-buck option of licenced material that's going to have to be renegotiated each time they try and take it back to market, setting fans up for disappointment despite everyone seeing it coming from day one now.