The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

It's also the theme from full house. 

Sorry, this video is awful. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Came across this cool mashup today. They've somehow combined the Hulk Hogan Sprite from WWF Superstars with Double Dragon.  Now both games were made by the same company. Even then they've done a great job here. Hogans move set has been carried over into Double Dragon. How difficult would something like this be? A modded version that let's you play two players with the other characters out of WWF Superstars would be pretty impressive. 

Edited by BigJag

6 hours ago, scratchdj said:

That’s beyond superb. I’ve been a software developer for 20 years and wouldn’t have a clue how you’d go about doing that.

It's on an engine called OpenBOR, it's most known for cool Streets of Rage mods where people have mashed up all different games. It's not too different to Mugen.

2 hours ago, BigJag said:

How easy is it to get up and running? I'd never heard of OpenBor before I came across this mod. I'm mostly familiar with MAME.

Most mods are self contained downloads, everything's included and you run it like any normal game just like the Double Dragon/WWF one posted above. If you mean using OpenBOR to make mods? I couldn't say, I've never tried that myself.

• Paid Members

Not sure if this qualifies as retro gaming but I hadn't played a Wii for at least ten years last weekend and had such a laugh I jumped on ebay and got one. It should arrive today.

Fifty quid for a Wii with two controllers, steering wheel, Wii fit pad thingy w/ game, Mario Kart, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Carnival Mini Golf, Tiger Woods Golf 09, EA Grand Slam Tennis, F1 2009, Legend of the Guardians and the all important Wii Sports. 

I'm going to pick up a Guitar Hero from CEX tomorrow and a few games. Any recommendations? My daughter is the perfect age for this now and has been bugging me for months to get Mario Kart on something so I'm pretty psyched.

• Paid Members

Mad World, No More Heroes, Muramasa. Mario Galaxy. They still release the Just Dance games on Wii. Your daughter might enjoy that. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

If you want a Wii game that'll drive you mad playing it but to hysterics watching someone else, try Mercury Meltdown Revolution.

I had one of those Mercury games on the PSP and they were fucking infuriating, but insanely addictive.

• Paid Members

If you enjoy fighting games you owe it to yourself to find a copy of Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and hope it isn't too expensive.

Theres a version of Okami, but the motion controls are terrible and there's no classic controller support, which is a shame. I just realised I own 4 copies of that game on various platforms. 

The Bit.Trip collection can be fun as well. The closest game to it I can think of is Vib Ribbon, but there are some other mini games packed on there as well. There are also some compilations. I don't think any of the Capcom Collections came out for it, but there's an SNK one with about 16 games.

Wario Ware Smooth Moves. 

You and your daughter may enjoy Animal Crossing: Let's Go To The City. I still find it sad that the only "proper" Animal Crossing game on Wii U was Wild World through the virtual console. It's not that it's a bad game, but being able to use the game pad foranaging inventory etc while still being able to play the game on screen, or even somebody playing on the TV and another playing on game pad could have been great. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz
More banging on about Animal Crossing

2 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

If you want a Wii game that'll drive you mad playing it but to hysterics watching someone else, try Mercury Meltdown Revolution.

Great shout! I’d forgotten how fun this is. God, I really need to set my Wii up again. People really overlook how many great games there are on that system. It’s often very unfairly dismissed.