The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• 4 weeks later...

Got an old Saturn and Dreamcast lying around? There's now a device that replaces their drives with an SSD and is 100% compatible with all game roms/isos.

180 fucking Euros tho.. The idea is great as both consoles have dogshit drives that die and burning copies of games is annoying as hell but damn that's expensive.

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/17-Terraonion_MODE_Dreamcast_Saturn_ODE.html

Yeah I brought up SSD specifically because that's a pretty big deal, depending on how it works it could make games load in an instant. And it's pretty cool to see such modern tech in an old console, if you've got the money to buy one of these devices why use anything else?

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

@RancidPunx you may find this of interest.

I'm pretty sure someone else in this topic will be able to answer your PSX question.

I'm going to fire up my MAME xbox today. I need relief from having to live with two women at the moment. 

With any luck there's a working version of Powerstone on the various emulators I have on the xbox.

• Paid Members

https://www.netflix.com/title/80997338?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

Has anyone been watching Hi Score girl on Netflix.  I wasn't expecting much from it. Surprisingly episode 1 is quite enjoyable. There are a lot of retro games governed in the narrative of the story. Plus they actually provide game tips throughout the episode. I've been pleasently suprised by it so far. Worth a watch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've been playing NBA Jam Tournament Edition on the Mame xbox. After getting a bit addicted to basketball from watching Last Dance and a bunch of other BBall docs.

Is there a skill to defending in this game? It seems totally random. I find it quite difficult to keep up with the pace of the game. The amount of times I press the wrong button is ridiculous. Jumping when I shoud be doing that weird hand swipe thing. Shooting when I should be passing. The game is still loads of fun despite my lack of skill. 

Does anyone have any tips?

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

I used to try and get onto whoever looked like they were going to be shooting and give them a shove whenever they started to jump for a shot, then hope you can get to the rebound first. I'd imagine the arcade version is trickier as it doesn't have the tag mechanic, so it's all depending on what happens when your AI team mate has the ball, which would probably have some degree of rubberbanding involved to try and milk a few extra credits out of you. The home console versions are more balanced, and have the optional tag function so you can control whoever on your team has the ball. 

• Paid Members

Would you reccomend a particular home version? There are a couple on the emulator. I haven't tried them yet.

Does anyone else go for a three point shot and then just watch it? The logical thing would be to follow the shot in incase it rebounds. For some reason I get mesmerised by the shot.  

• Paid Members

I've been playing season mode on Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain as Brock Lesnar, making all decisions as if it was a shoot (meaning wrestling is a work.)

"Would you like to work an optional tour of the UK?"

"No. No, I would not."

"How about a manager? You can have anyone you like?"

"That Sable woman looks nice."

• 2 weeks later...

What do people think that the Sega announcement will be next week? for their 60th Birthday?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/28/fans-think-sega-making-new-console-60th-anniversary-dreamcast-2-12769757/

I am hoping for a 'mini' that covers their entire history, arcades too. Certainly something I'd be interested in rather than just Megadrive rehashes.

Dreamcast 2/ Microsoft acquisition seem to be the other things that are floated about. Anyone for any more?

In other news has anyone been following the Arcade Club Best Arcade Game Ever Tournament? There's been quite a few shocks to date and today's battle is SF2 vs Robocop til Midday ish

100851847_2569268673338402_3976473867316