The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

Might be worth considering getting one of these to make it easier to connect to a modern TV, it won't upscale to full HD but will give a sharper 480p picture than the composite cables.

Wii to HDMI Adapter, GANA Wii to HDMI Converter Connector with 1080p/720p Video Output and 3.5mm Audio - Supports All Wii Display Modes (wii to hdmi black) (wii to hdmi white) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078Y58RN9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TzLyEbBM1NVYN

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Cutting Edge of Bluntness said:

Might be worth considering getting one of these to make it easier to connect to a modern TV, it won't upscale to full HD but will give a sharper 480p picture than the composite cables.

Wii to HDMI Adapter, GANA Wii to HDMI Converter Connector with 1080p/720p Video Output and 3.5mm Audio - Supports All Wii Display Modes (wii to hdmi black) (wii to hdmi white) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078Y58RN9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TzLyEbBM1NVYN

Great minds think alike. I've just ordered one ten minutes ago. The Wii and stuff arrived and it absolutely needs the HDMI adapter asap.

The good news is that the Wii is in full working order. The bad is the games a) suck hard bar Wii sports and b) look like they were scrapped across sandpaper every day for years. The really bad is that Mario Kart doesn't even fucking work. For obvious reasons I'm pretty miffed about that. Will take it to CEX tomorrow and see if they can salvage it.

Will most likely pick up a couple of light guns and house of the dead 2&3 maybe Overkill too. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Only just found out DOOM 64 isn't just a port of DOOM to the N64, it's actually pretty much DOOM 3. What a stupid idiot! Will correct this after Eternal.

Yeah, it's almost like the forgotten Doom game in a way. It's great though. It's a bit more puzzle and strategy based than the preceding Doom games and a couple of levels are pretty stupid in how obscure the puzzles are. But it's still a superb game and it features possibly my favourite Doom level in any game, Watch Your Step.

5 hours ago, DEF said:

Great minds think alike. I've just ordered one ten minutes ago. The Wii and stuff arrived and it absolutely needs the HDMI adapter asap.

The good news is that the Wii is in full working order. The bad is the games a) suck hard bar Wii sports and b) look like they were scrapped across sandpaper every day for years. The really bad is that Mario Kart doesn't even fucking work. For obvious reasons I'm pretty miffed about that. Will take it to CEX tomorrow and see if they can salvage it.

Will most likely pick up a couple of light guns and house of the dead 2&3 maybe Overkill too. 

I've also had issues buying from eBay. I've bought a few PS2 and PS3 games that are advertised as like new or very good and they've been pretty scratched up with a sticky case. All from sellers with decent ratings. 

Do Cex do disc repairs? Might need to take a few that I've kept to iron out the scratches that mess with my OCD!

Edited by iMPACt!

1 hour ago, iMPACt! said:

I've also had issues buying from eBay. I've bought a few PS2 and PS3 games that are advertised as like new or very good and they've been pretty scratched up with a sticky case. All from sellers with decent ratings. 

Do Cex do disc repairs? Might need to take a few that I've kept to iron out the scratches that mess with my OCD!

They certainly used to, as did Game. I’ve no idea if it’s a service they still offer though.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

The “Nintendo Playstation” sold at auction yesterday for $300,000 ($360,000 including fees).

https://www.engadget.com/2020/03/06/nintendo-playstation-auction-done/

Many were expecting for it to sell for a far higher price than that, with the owner previously claiming to have been offered $1.2m.

They were trying to get $3m for it at one point. Some games and the like are changing hands for ludicrous money nowadays. It's even worse now that you can get your game graded by WADA. 

Glad I didn't bother nicking it when I had the chance.

Imagine turning down over a million for a box of plastic and wires. Worst round of Deal or No Deal ever.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Glad I didn't bother nicking it when I had the chance.

Imagine turning down over a million for a box of plastic and wires. Worst round of Deal or No Deal ever.

I think they were claiming that offer in the hope that it'd inflate the price when it went to auction. 

• Paid Members
On 3/6/2020 at 8:34 PM, iMPACt! said:

Yep popped in to CEX and they tried to repair the disc for me. No luck unfortunately, still dead as a dodo.

Got House of the Dead 2 & 3 and a light gun whilst I was there. Absolutely awesome fun especially playing it with my little person. She loves it big time. They only had one in stock so I've ordered a 2nd gun online.

Definitely going to get as many rail shooters as I can find. Apparently the two Resident Evil Wii rail shooters are great so they are definitely on my radar. Crying shame Point Blank never made it to the Wii.

What a tremendous game the Streets of Rage remake is. Combines the best of all 3 mega drive originals into one absolute beast. I know it's been talked about before but it's been a while since it came up. I played it all the way through for the first time in years (maybe ever - don't think I got to the final stage before) over the past week. Lovely stuff.