The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Some kind of Sega arcade collection featuring a very carefully curated list of their older stuff would be interesting. Kim Justice has been doing some really good videos on her YouTube running down titles released on old hardware while the lockdown has been going on. I particularly enjoyed the ones about the CPS1 & CPS2, but there were also videos about the old Sega arcade boards. It'd be good rather than being the usual Megadrive compilation. 

The other thing I think could be interesting is a Sega channel type affair where you could "do a gamepass" and for a monthly subscription be able to download and play anything from their whole back catalogue (that they still own the licence to). I'd be all over that. Heck sell a box with a couple of controllers for a ton with a free 6 month subscription. Ask for a fiver a month? It could work. Downloads though, not streaming as that could be a bit awkward. Some online multiplayer? Winner. 

1 minute ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Some kind of Sega arcade collection featuring a very carefully curated list of their older stuff would be interesting. Kim Justice has been doing some really good videos on her YouTube running down titles released on old hardware while the lockdown has been going on. I particularly enjoyed the ones about the CPS1 & CPS2, but there were also videos about the old Sega arcade boards. It'd be good rather than being the usual Megadrive compilation. 

The other thing I think could be interesting is a Sega channel type affair where you could "do a gamepass" and for a monthly subscription be able to download and play anything from their whole back catalogue (that they still own the licence to). I'd be all over that. Heck sell a box with a couple of controllers for a ton with a free 6 month subscription. Ask for a fiver a month? It could work. Downloads though, not streaming as that could be a bit awkward. Some online multiplayer? Winner. 

Yeah, the last bit is kinda what was on about with the mini thing. 

Sega on Demand ala a WWE Network thing and not just crappy ports ala the Xbox Live thing, would be heaven. 

• Paid Members

I've just seen a Sega Saturn mini mock up on Twitter. Pretty sure it's fan made. That would be cool though. Plenty of games on that platform that deserve to have more exposure. Sega Rally, Nights, Burning Rangers to name a few.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BigJag said:

I've just seen a Sega Saturn mini mock up on Twitter. Pretty sure it's fan made. That would be cool though. Plenty of games on that platform that deserve to have more exposure. Sega Rally, Nights, Burning Rangers to name a few

Could be pricey to release it with an analogue controller for NiGHTS. Stick Fighters Megamix on it? 

• Paid Members

Word is the Sega announcement is that Microsoft are bunging them some money to push the XBox Series X in Japan as the Sega Series X, like when Nintendo got Mattel to put the NES out in America to try and avoid it being pushed as a games console following the crash of '83. They're hoping the Sega name will generate buzz and help them break a market that they've always struggled with. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It's worth a try but is the Sega name still that much of a big deal even in Japan? The Sega of today is more like a western publisher with games like Total War and Footbal Manager.

Can't do any worse than Microsoft over there. Hopefully it doesn't mean Sega IPs become exclusive to XBox consoles. 

30 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Can't do any worse than Microsoft over there. Hopefully it doesn't mean Sega IPs become exclusive to XBox consoles. 

Hardly industry shaking news though, more like going out on a whimper

Not a 60th Birthday goal. 

Thinking about it, it's making sense as Sega and MS have been making a huge thing about Yakuza games coming to the Xbox One and Sexbox or whatever it's called. They were some of the biggest exclusives for Sony since the PS2 days. There's a partnership there for sure, I do hope they don't move exclusives like that solely on to the XBox tho.. I might just end up ditching consoles for a while.

Edited by Merzbow

19 minutes ago, patiirc said:

Hardly industry shaking news though, more like going out on a whimper

Not a 60th Birthday goal. 

I don’t think Sega announcing anything is going to be industry shaking to be honest.

Any first hand impressions on the Console Wars book on here? I was thinking about adding it to my Audible list.