The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

EGGSONLEGS: Invincibility in Treasure Island Dizzy for the Amiga, where otherwise one misstep = game over.

But none of these are in the same league of fame as the Konami code mentioned, which appears in not only multiple Konami games but in others too (which one punishes you with death for attempting it?) and has been referenced in other media like the door lock combination in Wreck-It Ralph.

Cheat codes are a sorely missed element of general gaming nowadays, first moving behind a paywall with the increasing need for Gamesharks and Action Replays, and now largely unavailable at all, with microtransactions presenting some of the features you might've once gotten with cheat codes if you're lucky.

• Paid Members

A, B, B, A, A, B, B, A while the game is paused was the level skip in Megadrive. Essential. For getting back to where you last died. 

In a couple of Konami games they stuck the code in there with an adverse effect for shits and giggles. 

Remember those BASIC cheat listing in the old game magazines where you'd ostensibly be reprogramming the game before it loaded? There used to be loads in ZZAP and Commodore Format. 

23 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Remember those BASIC cheat listing in the old game magazines where you'd ostensibly be reprogramming the game before it loaded? There used to be loads in ZZAP and Commodore Format. 

I still remember reading the peeks and pokes pages in Crash and ZZAP, magazines.

Though if we're talking about the best way to get cheat codes it would have to be The Games Mistress on Sky's Games World.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think the feature was called Pig In A Poke in ZZAP. 

Yeah, half the time they didn't work as well. Some of them were huge things to type out as well, just so you could get an extra smart bomb in Defender or something.

43 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

What was the amazing Sonic cheat where you could turn in to anything in the game. It was something like up, C, down, C left, C, right,C.

Debug mode. The only way I could ever get any emeralds in that game.

Everyone knows the Master System version was better.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Debug mode. The only way I could ever get any emeralds in that game.

Everyone knows the Master System version was better.

That Master System version is good. Yuzo Koshiro did the music. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Around 2001 when I shared a house with my best mate, I remember one of those really crappy Channels that was basically someone broadcasting from a PC, up past the shopping channel on Sky. It was something like ‘Game Guru’ and you could text in questions about games for about a thousand quid a go.

The questions appeared on the right and the guy running the channel would answer them on the left. Hardly anyone sent stuff in and we had a piece of software on our PC that would send SMS message for free and it seemed to work with premium rate numbers.

We’d send stuff in like “How do you beat the end of level boss on stage 4 on Frosty the Magic Squirrel on the Xbox?” or “How can you get infinite fruit in Buster runs an Orangerie on the PS2?” or “What’s your fastest time on stage 8 of SpudGunner on the GameCube?” or “Who’s the best character in Plamp?”

Over the space of about 3 months, he never once hinted he realised it was a piss take and would just politely admit he didn’t know the game. We never didn’t find it hilarious.

I remember that. It was called Games World TV or something? Sometimes it'd just be streams of early MMOs, or random music over game cutscenes and the like. Almost a forerunner to Twitch. 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That Master System version is good. Yuzo Koshiro did the music. 

I swear to this day that Janet Jackson had been playing Sonic on the Master System when she wrote ‘Together Again’

Sonic - Bridge Zone - https://youtu.be/qYJkol00JCE 

Together Again (from 1:24) - 

https://youtu.be/vfK5QhZ9u7o