The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The Double Dragon/Kunio Kun collection for PS4 & Switch looks interesting, especially if you're a fan of beat 'em ups. 

https://arcsystemworks.com/double-dragon-kunio-kun-retro-brawler-bundle-brings-18-classic-games-to-the-west-later-this-month/

Renegade? Fuck it, I'm in.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It's going to be all NES versions, isn't it? Might have to pass then.

I think apart from the Double Dragon series & Renegade they were pretty much all NES games anyway?

• Paid Members

A pal of mine and has just released the first book of a new series. Dreamcast: Year One.

Full of stars details and general info on the build up to and throughout the 1st year of Dreamcasts life.

You can probably guess how the series will pan out. Not just shilling for a pal here, as I must say, it looks a like a really fun read from the glances I’ve had. Mine came in the post today, the next week of commuting will be pleasant.

A83DCD2E-B1EF-447D-B3B4-79DA5BFDB5E8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

A pal of mine and has just released the first book of a new series. Dreamcast: Year One.

Full of stars details and general info on the build up to and throughout the 1st year of Dreamcasts life.

You can probably guess how the series will pan out. Not just shilling for a pal here, as I must say, it looks a like a really fun read from the glances I’ve had. Mine came in the post today, the next week of commuting will be pleasant.

A83DCD2E-B1EF-447D-B3B4-79DA5BFDB5E8.jpeg

I’ll definitely be picking up a copy of this. I bought a Dreamcast and CRT TV at a retro gaming market last year, and it’s been an absolute blast to play. Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Power Stone and Skies of Arcadia have aged really well.

I couldn’t get into Shenmue or Sonic Adventure and I really wish I had been able to play them when they first came out, I really do think they would have been my cup of tea.

Thanks for flagging this up, @Kaz Hayashi!

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

@Kaz Hayashi That looks awesome. I see it was a Kickstarter thing so wondered if it’s now too late to get hold of it?

Here you go, if you check this tweet out, you’ll see a comment from the author ‘Andrew’. Feel free to ask him as I believe he had a very limited run, but may have some extras mate

https://mobile.twitter.com/grapplearcade/status/1228652208151027713 

• Paid Members

I only played the Dreamcast properly - i.e. outside of a demo machine in Argos - for the first time about 5-7 years ago, when I bought one on a whim. I was surprised by quite how well a lot of it had aged, and by how mad and ambitious so many of the games were. Lovely console. 

• Awards Moderator
50 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Me and my best mate turn 40 within 2 months of each other so we're going to Retro Replay in Norwich one day inbetween our birthdays. Anyone been before?

https://www.retro-replay.games

I went to something similar in Stratford for my birthday two years ago (Four Quarters East):

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Me and my best mate turn 40 within 2 months of each other so we're going to Retro Replay in Norwich one day inbetween our birthdays. Anyone been before?

https://www.retro-replay.games

Looks very Similar to https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/. I've been to their Leeds venue.  Would highly reccomend it.

• Paid Members

They've got a third floor at the Manchester location now. I don't k ow whether they have anything extra or whether they've just spread things out so it's a little less crowded in places. Still need to try and get up there for a proper look. There's one opening in Blackpool soon as well. 

The Dreamcast had lots of arcade ports and they stand up so well today because you can just pick up and play, they were rarely ever clunky either.

I think the main thing that keeps the console from aging is just how clear the image is, the PS2 could obviously do more graphically but it often looks so muddy in comparison. Get a VGA box or a good HDMI cable mod and it's beautiful.