patiirc

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

Square seem pretty greedy anyway. You only have to look at their mobile games and the episodic nature of the FFVII remake to see that they're not averse to a cash grab.

That they've stuck this out with a translation of the third one while a remake of that game is in production rather than holding back and doing all 4 as one collection is pretty ballsy. What if people hate the third one and the remake tanks? Why not remake the others as well, or at least remaster them. It's a Gameboy ROM and two SNES ROMs isn't it?

Edited by jazzygeofferz

They’ve fucked themselves with the remake really, the first episode will only focus on the beginning of the game and it’s taken them 5 years to make and release it, they’ve already said they have no idea how they’re gonna make the rest of the game yet. 

Don't get me wrong the game looks great but I won’t be buying it as it’s literally chapter 1 of a story.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read Part 1 is just Midgar. Basically Disc 1 of the original game. I think part 2 and onwards will be vaporware I reckon.

11 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read Part 1 is just Midgar. Basically Disc 1 of the original game. I think part 2 and onwards will be vaporware I reckon.

Yeah I agree. And at the rate they’re going I just can’t see subsequent episodes make their way to the current generation of consoles. 

I’m also interested in the price point. The tendency to describe the Midgar episode as ‘the first game’ as opposed to ‘first episode’ has me thinking they’ll each be close to the price of a full release (£34.99 upwards) 

I hope I’m wrong, but I find the language choice curious.

I heard somewhere that it's not even the whole of the first disk as there's a heck of a lot more to the first disk than just Midgar? This thing might not even get finished. They could Peter Jackson this thing and shoehorn so much superfluous stuff in there. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I heard somewhere that it's not even the whole of the first disk as there's a heck of a lot more to the first disk than just Midgar? This thing might not even get finished. They could Peter Jackson this thing and shoehorn so much superfluous stuff in there. 

I had to check this as I was convinced Disc 1 ended when you left Midgar, and you’re right. I feel even more underwhelmed by this whole thing.

Perhaps they’ll add side quests and let you explore the city in a way you weren’t able to in the original...there has to be something, surely?

People reckon this could run to 9-10 parts, and that'd just be the main game if every episode was the same size. Adding in side-quests etc and drip feeding extra parts they could keep this going for ages. People have half joked that we'd be up to the PS6 by the time it's all done, and that's assuming it keeps making enough money to justify making it all. It stinks of Square trying to milk the cash cow that is Final Fantasy VII, which is ironic given the game's early anti-capitalist narrative. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Might as well pop it in here. 

As well as the retro wrestling game events we run, we also run Street Fighter 2 Turbo (original SNES version), along with with MK3 and Tekken 2 tournaments.

I’ve been positively surprised with the quality of players that have taken part in some of the events. We had an official SF Capcom player at the last tournament and he was knocked out in round 1. 

Anyway, here’s a short video highlighting the final of our SF2 Turbo 16 person tournament from Ryton Retro games Exhibition, from May. It features our reigning champion, Axon (Guile) vs new challenger Birkett (Ryu).

Little bump here for anyone that has missed the thread. 

Right, I’m absolutely chuffed to bollocks with this. Just confirmed we’re bringing 2 player Sega Rally up to NERG games convention next month. Get in.

55A73B49-9413-4352-B682-0FC418CDC35B.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Right, I’m absolutely chuffed to bollocks with this. Just confirmed we’re bringing 2 player Sega Rally up to NERG games convention next month. Get in.

55A73B49-9413-4352-B682-0FC418CDC35B.jpeg

Noice. 

Anyone got an Arcade1up?

Im planning on buying one with a riser included in the future as soon as an arcade game I’m interested in is being released, Kinda hoping for a third strike one really 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

The Raspberry Pi 4 is now out and it's a beast compared to the 3, especially the 4GB version.

I'mma give it a while for people to get all the emulators ready and hoping there's a chance for some decent Dreamcast emulation.

I was watching Dark on Netflix. A retro game appeared. 

I'm going to spoiler it as it hints at a minor plot detail that is revealed fairly early on. 

So they're back in 1986. A kid is playing Commando on his C64. And it's actually being played! You can hear the audio from the game / sound effects low in the mix under the dialogue. 

Now you're reacting exactly like Mrs Onyx did. But I fucking love that music, I must play it once a month. 

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

I was watching Dark on Netflix. A retro game appeared. 

I'm going to spoiler it as it hints at a minor plot detail that is revealed fairly early on. 

Reveal hidden contents

So they're back in 1986. A kid is playing Commando on his C64. And it's actually being played! You can hear the audio from the game / sound effects low in the mix under the dialogue. 

Now you're reacting exactly like Mrs Onyx did. But I fucking love that music, I must play it once a month. 

It was Rob Hubbard, wasn't it? You got some amazing music out of the SID chip. I had one of the Ocean Loaders by Jonathan Dunn as a ringtone on one of my old phones. 

Speaking of retro gaming music my Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify this week features Hard Times by the Jetzons which was adapted into the music for Ice Cap Zone in Sonic 3.