Jump to content

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It's going to be all NES versions, isn't it? Might have to pass then.

I think apart from the Double Dragon series & Renegade they were pretty much all NES games anyway?

  • Paid Members
Posted

A pal of mine and has just released the first book of a new series. Dreamcast: Year One.

Full of stars details and general info on the build up to and throughout the 1st year of Dreamcasts life.

You can probably guess how the series will pan out. Not just shilling for a pal here, as I must say, it looks a like a really fun read from the glances I’ve had. Mine came in the post today, the next week of commuting will be pleasant.

A83DCD2E-B1EF-447D-B3B4-79DA5BFDB5E8.jpeg

Posted
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

A pal of mine and has just released the first book of a new series. Dreamcast: Year One.

Full of stars details and general info on the build up to and throughout the 1st year of Dreamcasts life.

You can probably guess how the series will pan out. Not just shilling for a pal here, as I must say, it looks a like a really fun read from the glances I’ve had. Mine came in the post today, the next week of commuting will be pleasant.

A83DCD2E-B1EF-447D-B3B4-79DA5BFDB5E8.jpeg

I’ll definitely be picking up a copy of this. I bought a Dreamcast and CRT TV at a retro gaming market last year, and it’s been an absolute blast to play. Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Power Stone and Skies of Arcadia have aged really well.

I couldn’t get into Shenmue or Sonic Adventure and I really wish I had been able to play them when they first came out, I really do think they would have been my cup of tea.

Thanks for flagging this up, @Kaz Hayashi!

  • Paid Members
Posted
27 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

@Kaz Hayashi That looks awesome. I see it was a Kickstarter thing so wondered if it’s now too late to get hold of it?

Here you go, if you check this tweet out, you’ll see a comment from the author ‘Andrew’. Feel free to ask him as I believe he had a very limited run, but may have some extras mate

https://mobile.twitter.com/grapplearcade/status/1228652208151027713 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I only played the Dreamcast properly - i.e. outside of a demo machine in Argos - for the first time about 5-7 years ago, when I bought one on a whim. I was surprised by quite how well a lot of it had aged, and by how mad and ambitious so many of the games were. Lovely console. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
50 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Me and my best mate turn 40 within 2 months of each other so we're going to Retro Replay in Norwich one day inbetween our birthdays. Anyone been before?

https://www.retro-replay.games

I went to something similar in Stratford for my birthday two years ago (Four Quarters East):

 

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

The Dreamcast is a great machine. It's such a shame it was rushed out to try  and steal a march on the PS2.

  • Paid Members
Posted

They've got a third floor at the Manchester location now. I don't k ow whether they have anything extra or whether they've just spread things out so it's a little less crowded in places. Still need to try and get up there for a proper look. There's one opening in Blackpool soon as well. 

Posted

Dreamcast remains my all-time favourite console. With a mum that wouldn't fly and a dad that hated boats, my childhood was very much limited to UK holidays, so I was a huge fan of arcade games. To be able to play some of those games replicated so well on Dreamcast was an absolute dream come true.

Posted

The Dreamcast had lots of arcade ports and they stand up so well today because you can just pick up and play, they were rarely ever clunky either.

I think the main thing that keeps the console from aging is just how clear the image is, the PS2 could obviously do more graphically but it often looks so muddy in comparison. Get a VGA box or a good HDMI cable mod and it's beautiful.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...