The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The quality of the pads with the last SNK retro machines have all been awful.

The price will hopefully give some indication of the quality of the stick. I don't get why they didn't do this for the actual NeoGeo Mini rather than that ridiculously small screen. Hopefully the stick has microswitches. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

@scratchdj's adventures with his Vita inspired me to do the exact same!

I've spent the last couple of evenings modding my old Vita. I found an incredibly useful guide online which made the whole experience rather enjoyable and less daunting than when I (unsuccessfully) tried modding my Kindle Fire.

I added the essentials such as Vita Shell and downgraded to 3.68 using other apps. This involves transferring files and executables across to specific folders within the Vita, which took me a while to get working because I missed the point where you had to press 'select' for the computer to recognize the Vita as a device.

Then I added Retro Arch and Adrenaline, and a few roms to go with them. I'm not going for a proper library yet as I want to get a decent memory card with sd2Vita first, but I've got my essentials; Mario World, Super Metroid and Plok for the SNES. Streets Of Rage 2, Castle Of Illusion and Revenge Of Shinobi for the Megadrive. Rastan and R-Type for the Master Sytstem. Castlevania for the PSP and Smackdown 2 on the PSX. (Which are all back-ups of existing games that I own...)

Getting the PSX to work was a bit of a ball ache, as you have to convert and compress files, but I had the biggest fuck-off smile when I finally booted SD2, and the PlayStation logo appeared and then Jim Ross's voice smoothly spread over the opening small print, followed by a quick session of The Rock vs The Undertaker. Fucking lovely.

So once I get the memory card, the plans are; more roms (which are all back-ups of existing games that I own...), experimenting with the N64, PSX, Saturn and Dreamcast emulators, and having a gander at NPS.

I also downloaded Moonlight, as I was led to believe I could stream games from my laptop, but it turns out you need a GeForce graphics card above a certain level which is a slight bummer. Surely there's a way of streaming games, from Steam for example, from my laptop to a Vita without having a particular graphics card?

So last year I bought a PS2 to relive my youth. Buying games however seems to be a minefield  as it seems any copies I've purchasee usually come with a whack of scratches and/or a box that is pretty grim. Musicmagpie are the worst for this but even items from eBay are often not in 'very good' condition despite being described as such. Does anybody know of any decent places to buy from? Or am I clutching at straws trying to find items that are close to 20 years old in decent knick?

1 hour ago, iMPACt! said:

So last year I bought a PS2 to relive my youth. Buying games however seems to be a minefield  as it seems any copies I've purchasee usually come with a whack of scratches and/or a box that is pretty grim. Musicmagpie are the worst for this but even items from eBay are often not in 'very good' condition despite being described as such. Does anybody know of any decent places to buy from? Or am I clutching at straws trying to find items that are close to 20 years old in decent knick?

CEX carry most PS2 games.

• Paid Members

Agreed. You can find some hidden gems on ebay. Amazon can be alright for them as well.

King Of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match is £3.99 on PSN at the moment. May have to pick that up this weekend. For some reason 2002UM isn't available though. I also discovered I have KOF 95 on my XBox One as well. Must be nostalgia from when I used to play it on my lunch break from work when I was 17. There's a really cool stage where you're on what seems to be a goods lift and there's not a lot of room to fight until it gets to the bottom and the doors open, giving you a lot more space. SNK have so many great little touches like that. The stage on the moving train from one of the Fatal Fury games is pretty awesome as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

In a continuation of my Vita homebrew journey, my sd2Vita arrived yesterday, along with a 128gb microSD. I think this may be the handheld I retire to my grave with. NPS was scarily easy to work.

I've got an R3 card somewhere, so I'm going to turn my DS Lite into a main GBA/DS emulator and that'll be it. I'll be set for life.