patiirc

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

My top 3 mega drive games:

Kid Chameleon - Absolutely wonderful and is still very difficult to play today. Your character encounters an array of baddies, some solid levels and you also need to be strategic about when to use your masks. Much like how Mario & Sonic pick up special abilities during stages, so does your character in the form of masks and helmets, each providing a different power. Some of these are crucial in order to complete a level.

24903156-FA25-4BB4-870B-0C27D71BC031.jpeg.1fc8b8027a95a397b5756b61331d137d.jpeg

Skitchin - Under appreciated clone of Road Rash. And although I’m a BIG Road Rash 1 & 2 fan, Skitchin is arguably better. Very similar aesthetically, the courses have a similar look and your racing against competitors, on roads, with cars causing you grief. However, you’re on Roller Blades, you can grab hold of the back of cars for an advantage (skitch), you can fight competitors, the driver can pop their boot, some of he roads have ramps for bonus points and you can buy replacement gear from the back of a van. It’s excellent.

FAA98863-D783-4689-A765-D81AF34514FD.jpeg.e6847ebd77884050ffcec679a78e0c0e.jpeg

Alien Storm - I believe this is the most under appreciated side scroller in existence. Take streets of rage, but add aliens and laxer guns. Occasional levels turn to 1st person for bonus stages etc. It’s such a fun game.

2BEF718D-6E2C-4CED-BEC5-06DE77D55A6D.jpeg.c7b046c7a60707b4a6fcc4560e87760f.jpeg

Sure, Revenge of Shinobi, Sonic 2, blah blah, they're a given. I'll pick three more slightly obscure games.

Rolling Thunder 2 was a Mega Drive only sequel to the great split-level shooter. Really good enemies, great power-ups, good soundtrack. Two players are great fun. Seek it out.

Runark / Growl is a great side scrolly beat 'em up with loads of weapons, scenery damage, cool music and hilariously bad dialogue.

Zero Tolerance is one of the only true Mega Drive FPS released right at the end of the console's lifecycle. It has obviously been utterly superceded as a time capsule it's well worth a look.

Yeah, Alien Storm is excellent, and Aladdin.

2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Rolling Thunder 2 was a Mega Drive only sequel to the great split-level shooter.

It was arcade originally unless the Mega Drive version was completely different. But I've played it a lot on MAME, it's really good.

31 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It was arcade originally unless the Mega Drive version was completely different. But I've played it a lot on MAME, it's really good.

I should've clarified it was one of those where the home version deviated quite a lot from the arcade, and the Mega Drive was the only one released. 

54 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I should've clarified it was one of those where the home version deviated quite a lot from the arcade, and the Mega Drive was the only one released. 

Yeah, I wasn't sure if that was the case or not. Always fascinated me when that happened. I should seek that out actually.

Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder is such an amazing beat 'em up, it was never going to be able to run on a Mega Drive but did Sega really have to give us the piss poor 3 (that we didn't even get here) instead?

Revenge Of Death=Adder was arcade only I think, although there may be a Japanese Saturn version. Golden Axe 3 on Megadrive is a bit of a stinker. Golden Axe 2 is a refined version of the first. 

I think I need to check Growl out. It sounds like it'd be up my alley. 

I played Alien Storm to death when I first got my Megadrive. It sits between Golden Axe and Streets Of Rage in terms of gameplay. Its got a heck of a challenge. One day I'll finish it. 

Aladdin on Megadrive is a brilliant game. We used to rent it from our local shop almost every weekend as it was so much fun. The Lion King is similar, but not quite as good. Still worth a look though. 

I probably played Sonic Spinball more than any other game on the Mega Drive and I have no idea why because I fucking hated it. I just wanted to beat it with all rings collected.

Castle of Illusion, Revenge of Shinobi and NHL 94 were probably my favourites. I rented the latter out from Blockbuster about 109 times in a row instead of buying it, like a tit. Ice hockey is shit but that was a great game.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

M2 who are making the Mega Drive Mini have released an awesome conversion of Vitua Racing on the Switch. It’s currently only available on the Japanese eShop but it’s easy enough to get hold of a download here in the UK.

Digital Foundry, as always, have made a top video looking at the Switch version and also every home release of the game. I hadn’t realised how each version varied so much, and even though the PS2 had a decent enough port, until now, there hasn’t been a faithful home release of the Model 1 original.

The Switch game looks and plays beautifully. It’s so crisp, smooth and colourful on a big TV and plays just as I remember the arcade version playing. Running at 1080p when docked and 720p in handheld, the game is locked to 60fps and is buttery smooth.

Virtua Racing was an important game for me growing up. When the arcade was very much the place to go for games that blew away what you had at home, Virtua Racing still stood out and made me believe I was looking into the future. As well as being a brilliant arcade racer, the full size cabinet was just awesome to look at. Who wouldn’t want to play a game whilst sitting in something that actually resembled a racing car?!

Rumours suggest this’ll be on the UK store in a few months, but if, like me, you can’t wait, it’s easy enough to get hold of and well worth the bother.

Let's hope they follow up with Sega Rally somewhere down the line.

I've also just found out that Sega Rally 2 and the 2007 reboot are both on PC, gonna be trying those this weekend.

3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Let's hope they follow up with Sega Rally somewhere down the line.

I've also just found out that Sega Rally 2 and the 2007 reboot are both on PC, gonna be trying those this weekend.

I’d love a Sega arcade racer bundle. Imagine being able to play Daytona USA (1 and 2), Sega Rally and possibly Scud race on the bus. 

15 hours ago, Merzbow said:

That'd be great, throw in Outrun 2 or even Coast 2 Coast.

Outrun Coast 2 Coast 2006 is brilliant. It has cross play between PS2 and PSP. Yes, you need a USB to do so, but it's brilliant. Same with Smackdown Vs Raw 2006.

Daytona Championship edition is fantastic. I've got the original Daytona on my Saturn, and it plays well. I like unlocking the horse. 

Manx TT is an overlooked gem. They got a Manx TT machine in to replace the knackered old Super Hang-On in our local arcade when I was failing my A-levels because I was either pissing about on the Internet in the library or in the arcade playing Waku Waku 7 and Darkstalkers. 

I presume a port of Sega Rally would be dependent on whether they could get the rights to use the cars. I guess they could always go for generic lookalikes. Sega Rally 2 with the Impreza was good. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

What monitor/TV do people use for their retro gaming? I've got a wall mounted LCD screen and a ginormous 36inch CRT Toshiba TV. The Toshiba is going to have to go. It just takes up too much room. I can't bring myself to just drop it off at the tip. I'd like it to go to a good home. Maybe a retro gamer would want it?