The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

Surprised they spaffed their load with Mario World, Link to the Past and Super Metroid in one go.

Demons Crest is the one that stands out to me so far. Really awesome game that's lesser known and quite dear to track down an original copy.

I have a shameful backlog of PS4 and Switch games that I haven't even opened yet but I bet I end up playing Super Metroid again ffs.

• Paid Members

Anybody seen the news about the Aladdin/Lion King collection coming to consoles soon? Looks pretty nifty.

EDIT: Here's the link. I don't get why it has the Game Boy version of Aladdin when it's just a bad port of the Megadrive version. People have complained that the SNES Aladdin isn't there, but I'd imagine that'd be to do with Capcom. 

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/28/20836537/aladdin-lion-king-release-date-pc-ps4-switch-xbox-one-disney-classic-games-collection

Edited by jazzygeofferz
Added link.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Anybody seen the news about the Aladdin/Lion King collection coming to consoles soon? Looks pretty nifty.

EDIT: Here's the link. I don't get why it has the Game Boy version of Aladdin when it's just a bad port of the Megadrive version. People have complained that the SNES Aladdin isn't there, but I'd imagine that'd be to do with Capcom. 

I'd imagine it's due to the Megadrive version being far superior.

• Paid Members

Lion Kid on the SNES should bring back great memories for myself, happy to see it included in the bundle.

Here's the full list, courtesy of IGN;

Disney’s Aladdin - SEGA Genesis version
Disney’s Aladdin - Game Boy version (includes “Super Game Boy version,”)
Disney’s Aladdin Final Cut - We don’t know what this is but asked (we haven’t heard back)
Disney’s Aladdin Trade Show Demo - A demo version “that has not been publicly available since 1993,” according to the press release
The Lion King - SEGA Genesis version
The Lion King - Super Nintendo version
The Lion King - Game Boy version (also includes “Super Game Boy" version)

• Paid Members

I'm surprised they didn't stick the Master System version on. That's a different game again, it's almost like a runner game, but a fun distraction. Although I think it may have been Japan only. 

I'd want to guess the director's cut of the Aladdin game is remade to fit in with the live action version. 

As @WyattSheepMask said the SNES Aladdin isn't a bad game by any stretch, but the Megadrive version is one of the best and biggest selling games on the console, so the SNES version looks worse by comparison.

I thought the SNES & Megadrive versions of the Lion King were the same as well.

• Paid Members

There was a piece in Retro Gamer a few months back comparing the SNES and Mega Drive Aladdins, and explaining the difference.

The Mega Drive version had access to Disney animation cels, meaning that the artwork is all hand drawn, and looks much closer to the movie, whereas the SNES version looks a lot clunkier and more like a stock platformer.

As a kid, it never occurred to me that people might want video games to look photo-realistic - I thought they'd end up looking like cartoons you could control, so Aladdin was perfection.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

There was a piece in Retro Gamer a few months back comparing the SNES and Mega Drive Aladdins, and explaining the difference.

The Mega Drive version had access to Disney animation cels, meaning that the artwork is all hand drawn, and looks much closer to the movie, whereas the SNES version looks a lot clunkier and more like a stock platformer.

As a kid, it never occurred to me that people might want video games to look photo-realistic - I thought they'd end up looking like cartoons you could control, so Aladdin was perfection.

There's a series on YouTube called Same Name, Different Game which covers things like this. Some of them do descend into "which port is the best?", but there are some like the Batman episode where you've got an entirely different game on each platform. Worth a look if that kind of thing interests you. The "Let's Compare" series by Gaming History Source is similar, but is more about just showing the ports than any critical content. 

• Paid Members

This looks interesting. 

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/press/2019/091003/

Basically SNK are bringing out a fightstick you can plug into your PC or your NeoGeo mini (that one that looks like a tiny arcade cabinet) to use as a fightstick/second controller, but it also has an Hdmi out and 20 games installed on it, as well as a USB in for if you want to connect another controller to it and have multiplayer. I guess it's to rival that Capcom monstrosity that's coming out (it actually sounds like a great bit of kit, but looks a bit ungainly). The stick is modelled off the NeoGeo CD stick. Presumably it'll be World Heroes Perfect, a couple of Fatal Fury games, at least one Art Of Fighting game, some King Of Fighters, King Of The Monsters and maybe some Metal Slug etc. Be nice if they stuck Sengoku 3 on there. 

The biggest question would probably be about the quality of the stick.