The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

And now I need to get myself a Dreamcast again damnit. The hours that went into Virtua Striker 2, despite it being a generally terrible football game.. I was awesome at that. And Tennis remains one of my favourite arcade experiences.

My actual top arcade experience is Daytona multiplayer on the big ass ones with the cameras on you. Get the whole family on that shit and it was sheer joy. That would absolutely be top of my list if I was rich as fuck and had a mansion and money to burn.

• Paid Members

Picked mine up in 2004 for £45 in an independent games place in Blackburn. Also got Chu-Chu Rocket. I've got Power Stone, Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, WWF Royal Rumble, ECW Hardcore Revolution (The one that's a re-skinned WWF Attitude), Crazy Taxi, Sega Rally 2, Metropolis Street Racer, Sega GT, and Dynamite Deka. There are some pretty awesome games on it.

• Paid Members

My missus and I spent a load of time playing Crazy Taxi in the arcades when we were young and carefree so I discovered you could get it for the DC and went out and bought one just for that. It was ace. Remember selling the DC but keeping the Crazy Taxi game. Still don't know why. We had it for years and I kept saying I was gonna get another one but never did.

• Paid Members

I've also got Crazy Taxi on my Pc and XBox, but because they've lost the rights to the soundtrack it's not the same. I usually turn the in game music off and stick the soundtrack on Spotify instead. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I've also got Crazy Taxi on my Pc and XBox, but because they've lost the rights to the soundtrack it's not the same. I usually turn the in game music off and stick the soundtrack on Spotify instead. 

Those versions don't control right either, they're ports of the mobile game and for some reason don't have proper analogue steering so it feels awfully twitchy with no precision.

• Paid Members

Sega are pretty bad for that sometimes. A lot of the games on the last Megadrive compilation were lifted from dodgy mobile ports. I guess it was cost effective, plus it's a nice way to shift Megadrive minis with the nice M2 ports. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Picked mine up in 2004 for £45 in an independent games place in Blackburn. Also got Chu-Chu Rocket. I've got Power Stone, Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, WWF Royal Rumble, ECW Hardcore Revolution (The one that's a re-skinned WWF Attitude), Crazy Taxi, Sega Rally 2, Metropolis Street Racer, Sega GT, and Dynamite Deka. There are some pretty awesome games on it.

Great selection of games there. I've always wanted to but never had the chance to extensively play Powerstone. Always read great things about it. Is it as good as the hype?

• Paid Members

CEX's prices can be a bit all over the place in store, but are often a little more consistent (and lower) when you buy online through them. 

2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

So where would the best place be to buy a Dreamcast these days? eBay? I'm always a little wary of buying things second hand but obviously that's pretty much the only option now..

CEX seems to be a good option. If you buy a Dreamcast, I’d highly recommend picking up a CRT TV alongside it.

The Dreamcast looks like dog shit on modern televisions and it spoils the experience of playing it somewhat. 

3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

CEX seems to be a good option. If you buy a Dreamcast, I’d highly recommend picking up a CRT TV alongside it.

The Dreamcast looks like dog shit on modern televisions and it spoils the experience of playing it somewhat. 

Or buy a Pound Cable or similar, the Dreamcast runs at 480p in VGA mode and still looks nice on modern TV's that way.

Better yet, buy a CRT monitor not TV and play it that way with a proper VGA box.

Edited by Merzbow

20 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Or buy a Pound Cable or similar, the Dreamcast runs at 480p in VGA mode and still looks nice on modern TV's that way.

Better yet, buy a CRT monitor not TV and play it that way with a proper VGA box.

I tried the cable option, but it still looked pretty bad. Any recommendations for a good, reasonably priced one?

14 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I tried the cable option, but it still looked pretty bad. Any recommendations for a good, reasonably priced one?

None of the HDMI cables are perfect, sadly. DCHDMI is the perfect way to go but it's an internal mod and expensive.

There was a box called Gekko which was brilliant and not too expensive but it's been discontinued.