The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

I discovered from a YouTube video the other day that if you change the language settings on the Megadrive Mini to Japanese it allows you to play the Japanese versions of the games. Rumour has it that the American ROMS are in there somewhere, as if you set the American Megadrive Mini to a European language it'll let you play the PAL versions, while English defaults to the North American version. I wonder how much it'd be to import one from North America to be able to play all three sets of ROMs. I guess you've then got the issue of power converters and the like, though.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Yep, NPS is freakishly easy to use and baffles me somewhat. I keep expecting it to stop working once “Sony find out”.

Glad you’re enjoying the Vita awesomeness 👍

A game I downloaded last night updated this morning, and I for sure thought I was fucked and found out, but it just started working as it should. So perplexing. It was your initial post that started this!

Edited by Accident Prone

• 2 months later...

My cheap PS2 I bought a few months back has stopped playing certain games/discs. I really can't be arsed to take it back to the shop as to be honest if they replace it, it'll only be another second hand one. Is there anything I can do myself? It seems to be discs with blue bottoms that don't work. No idea if this is because they're newer or something? TIA

It's something to do with blue discs being CD-ROMs which require a faster read speed, rather than the slower DVD discs that the majority of games use. Go into the console options (press triangle on the home screen), go into the driver settings and change the disk speed to fast and make sure text mapping is set to smooth. Might work.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I like the look of the Dizzy one and the Lemmings one. They're all nice, but those two are the ones that strike a chord with me. 

Played some Mighty Bomb Jack as part of my Switch Online membership the other night. Its an odd one. There are traditional platform stages where you have to get from A to B with bombs to pick up, enemies to avoid etc, then where I'd imagine there to be a boss fight it chucks you into a level from Bomb Jack, but rather than spawning in the middle of the screen like in the original you walk into the stage from the exit of the previous one. It's a bit disorientating. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Double Dragon/Kunio Kun collection for PS4 & Switch looks interesting, especially if you're a fan of beat 'em ups. 

https://arcsystemworks.com/double-dragon-kunio-kun-retro-brawler-bundle-brings-18-classic-games-to-the-west-later-this-month/

• Paid Members

Impulse bought myself a Mega Drive Classic, which should be arriving tomorrow.

I've also picked up a USB doohickey that, if it works, should add an additional 800+ games, so that's me not leaving the flat for the rest of the year.