The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

I'd be surprised if they weren't holding Rondo Of Blood back for the upcoming Castlevania collection. I wonder how many and what games will be on there. I'd assume something from the Bonk series, as he was ostensibly the PC Engine mascot. I can't imagine they'd be able to secure the licence for the Batman game, which is a shame as it's such an interesting game. Hopefully Gekija Boy finds its way on there, and Cratermaze. I think it mentioned the Ys series, and some of the Adventure Island games in the article above. 

The Castlevania collection's been out for a few weeks already.

Castlevania
Castlevania II Simon's Quest
Castlevania III Dracula's Curse
Super Castlevania IV
Castlevania The Adventure
Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge
Castlevania Bloodlines
Kid Dracula

The Mana collection on Switch is pretty much what you'd expect. They play exactly like they always did, slightly dated by today's standards but still fun to play. Nice to have an official English version of 3, too.

That English ROM of 3 has already been ripped from the collection plus it works on original hardware.

Oh and Revival is on this weekend at Walsall's stadium, I'm not going this year as my mate can't make it but it's a decent enough time with a fair few freeplay arcades and old computers and consoles. There are panel's from Sensible Software, Bullfrog and The Oliver Twins too.

Edited by Merzbow

On 6/13/2019 at 3:16 PM, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Looks like Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is on the PC Engine but not yet on the Turbo. I would quite like an official way to play this. This also means it will have PC Engine as well as PC Engine CD games which is pretty cool.

Anyone tried the Mana games out on switch e-shop yet? Thoughts etc?

My thoughts are that it’s totally overpriced for what you actually get, especially considering the collections with more/better games are much cheaper (eg. Megaman, Castlevania)

Choosing the same price point, more or less, as the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro remasters is a bit greedy of Square.

If you’re interested in the collection, wait until it’s on sale would be my advice. Don’t make the same mistake I did.

• Paid Members

Square seem pretty greedy anyway. You only have to look at their mobile games and the episodic nature of the FFVII remake to see that they're not averse to a cash grab.

That they've stuck this out with a translation of the third one while a remake of that game is in production rather than holding back and doing all 4 as one collection is pretty ballsy. What if people hate the third one and the remake tanks? Why not remake the others as well, or at least remaster them. It's a Gameboy ROM and two SNES ROMs isn't it?

Edited by jazzygeofferz

They’ve fucked themselves with the remake really, the first episode will only focus on the beginning of the game and it’s taken them 5 years to make and release it, they’ve already said they have no idea how they’re gonna make the rest of the game yet. 

Don't get me wrong the game looks great but I won’t be buying it as it’s literally chapter 1 of a story.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

11 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read Part 1 is just Midgar. Basically Disc 1 of the original game. I think part 2 and onwards will be vaporware I reckon.

Yeah I agree. And at the rate they’re going I just can’t see subsequent episodes make their way to the current generation of consoles. 

I’m also interested in the price point. The tendency to describe the Midgar episode as ‘the first game’ as opposed to ‘first episode’ has me thinking they’ll each be close to the price of a full release (£34.99 upwards) 

I hope I’m wrong, but I find the language choice curious.

• Paid Members

I heard somewhere that it's not even the whole of the first disk as there's a heck of a lot more to the first disk than just Midgar? This thing might not even get finished. They could Peter Jackson this thing and shoehorn so much superfluous stuff in there. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I heard somewhere that it's not even the whole of the first disk as there's a heck of a lot more to the first disk than just Midgar? This thing might not even get finished. They could Peter Jackson this thing and shoehorn so much superfluous stuff in there. 

I had to check this as I was convinced Disc 1 ended when you left Midgar, and you’re right. I feel even more underwhelmed by this whole thing.

Perhaps they’ll add side quests and let you explore the city in a way you weren’t able to in the original...there has to be something, surely?

• Paid Members

People reckon this could run to 9-10 parts, and that'd just be the main game if every episode was the same size. Adding in side-quests etc and drip feeding extra parts they could keep this going for ages. People have half joked that we'd be up to the PS6 by the time it's all done, and that's assuming it keeps making enough money to justify making it all. It stinks of Square trying to milk the cash cow that is Final Fantasy VII, which is ironic given the game's early anti-capitalist narrative. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Might as well pop it in here. 

As well as the retro wrestling game events we run, we also run Street Fighter 2 Turbo (original SNES version), along with with MK3 and Tekken 2 tournaments.

I’ve been positively surprised with the quality of players that have taken part in some of the events. We had an official SF Capcom player at the last tournament and he was knocked out in round 1. 

Anyway, here’s a short video highlighting the final of our SF2 Turbo 16 person tournament from Ryton Retro games Exhibition, from May. It features our reigning champion, Axon (Guile) vs new challenger Birkett (Ryu).