The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

Racking my brain trying to think what I used to have on my Nega Drive now.

Twin Hawk is a very underrated Vertical scrolling Shooter. As has been mentioned, Streets of Rage 2 is possibly the best game in its genre, so that’s a must have

Edited by WyattSheepMask

6 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I'd check CEX for some games too, they can often be cheaper than eBay for the more common carts.

I do miss the days when pawn shops didn’t quite realise the value of retro. I got Conker’s Bad Fur Day for a whopping £2 in Cash Converters 6 or 7 years ago. 

• Paid Members

Try and hunt down a copy of Sonic 3 AND a copy of Sonic & Knuckles, because the two games actually combine into a brilliant game hopefully the save battery still works as well so you can retain your progress. If you have Sonic & Knuckles you can also enjoy Knuckles in Sonic 2, which is a lot of fun. 

On 5/4/2019 at 6:13 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

Try and hunt down a copy of Sonic 3 AND a copy of Sonic & Knuckles, because the two games actually combine into a brilliant game hopefully the save battery still works as well so you can retain your progress. If you have Sonic & Knuckles you can also enjoy Knuckles in Sonic 2, which is a lot of fun. 

I got lucky, my Sonic 3 has a working save battery. I actually prefer Sonic 2 with Knuckles as the main character, am I alone in this?

I’m really enjoying Mercs. It’s definitely aged, but its still a lot of fun. 

Mega Bomberman is also brilliant. I’d love a remaster, with the option to play online.

• Paid Members

My top 3 mega drive games:

Kid Chameleon - Absolutely wonderful and is still very difficult to play today. Your character encounters an array of baddies, some solid levels and you also need to be strategic about when to use your masks. Much like how Mario & Sonic pick up special abilities during stages, so does your character in the form of masks and helmets, each providing a different power. Some of these are crucial in order to complete a level.

24903156-FA25-4BB4-870B-0C27D71BC031.jpeg.1fc8b8027a95a397b5756b61331d137d.jpeg

Skitchin - Under appreciated clone of Road Rash. And although I’m a BIG Road Rash 1 & 2 fan, Skitchin is arguably better. Very similar aesthetically, the courses have a similar look and your racing against competitors, on roads, with cars causing you grief. However, you’re on Roller Blades, you can grab hold of the back of cars for an advantage (skitch), you can fight competitors, the driver can pop their boot, some of he roads have ramps for bonus points and you can buy replacement gear from the back of a van. It’s excellent.

FAA98863-D783-4689-A765-D81AF34514FD.jpeg.e6847ebd77884050ffcec679a78e0c0e.jpeg

Alien Storm - I believe this is the most under appreciated side scroller in existence. Take streets of rage, but add aliens and laxer guns. Occasional levels turn to 1st person for bonus stages etc. It’s such a fun game.

2BEF718D-6E2C-4CED-BEC5-06DE77D55A6D.jpeg.c7b046c7a60707b4a6fcc4560e87760f.jpeg

• Awards Moderator

Sure, Revenge of Shinobi, Sonic 2, blah blah, they're a given. I'll pick three more slightly obscure games.

Rolling Thunder 2 was a Mega Drive only sequel to the great split-level shooter. Really good enemies, great power-ups, good soundtrack. Two players are great fun. Seek it out.

Runark / Growl is a great side scrolly beat 'em up with loads of weapons, scenery damage, cool music and hilariously bad dialogue.

Zero Tolerance is one of the only true Mega Drive FPS released right at the end of the console's lifecycle. It has obviously been utterly superceded as a time capsule it's well worth a look.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Alien Storm is excellent, and Aladdin.

2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Rolling Thunder 2 was a Mega Drive only sequel to the great split-level shooter.

It was arcade originally unless the Mega Drive version was completely different. But I've played it a lot on MAME, it's really good.

• Awards Moderator
31 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It was arcade originally unless the Mega Drive version was completely different. But I've played it a lot on MAME, it's really good.

I should've clarified it was one of those where the home version deviated quite a lot from the arcade, and the Mega Drive was the only one released.