The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

That's such a great game. Dropped ten pennies galore into that machine. Have always preferred it to the Wrestlefest game. Macho Mans' Hart Foundation clothesline was a great looking move and sold brilliantly by the receiving characters. I can still play it endlessly on emulators. So much fun.

• Paid Members

Does anyone remember the LucasArts/LucasFilm Games game "Afterlife"?

It was covered in this month's Retro Gamer, and I have zero memory of it at all, despite it being from a company I followed closely, in a genre I played the hell out of, thematically right up my street, and released right at the peak of my PC gaming. At a loss how I never encountered it, or did and have zero memory of it.

It's a comedic city-building thing set in the afterlife, where you build Heaven and/or Hell.

Anyone remember it, know if it's any good, worth tracking down?

All the Megadrive talk on here has had me pick one up on eBay with a stack of games. 

I want more though...got any third party games you’d recommend? Obviously I’m well aware of the Sega titles. The more obscure the better!

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Get a copy of Skitchin', it's Road Rash on skates and is about as "radical" as you can get.

Retro Gamer had a piece on that in the last issue, and I'm amazed I'd never heard of it before! 

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Retro Gamer had a piece on that in the last issue, and I'm amazed I'd never heard of it before! 

I don't think it was very well known when it came out, I just happened to swap something for it in the local market.

Looking back it's not all that great but there's a short amount of fun to be had with it before you've pretty much seen everything it can do, Road Rash is the better game for sure.

15 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

What games did you get with it? 

Sonic 1, 2, & Knuckles, Sensible Soccer, Quackshot, Fantasia, Mean Bean Machine, Golden Axe and a few sports games.

I’ve gone on to buy World of Illusion, Wiz ‘n’ Liz, Mega Bomberman, Theme Park and Mega-lo-Mania. I’ve got a few bids in on ebay for other games, we’ll see what happens there.

• Paid Members

Aladdin is very good. Try to find Desert/Jungle Strike. If you were a fan of the Turrican games on Amiga etc you should check out Universal Soldier because that's pretty much Turrican 2.

It almost goes without saying to try and hunt down the Streets Of Rage games. The third one gets a bad rep because of the changes made to it for the international release, but the first two are fantastic. If you only get one, I'd say to pick up Streets Of Rage 2 as it's one of the best games on the Megadrive, and one of the best beat 'em ups in general. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz