Sign in to follow this  
patiirc

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

49 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Any retro titles available for the DS ?

Not a retro title as such, but New Super Mario Bros on the original DS was outstanding and as faithful to the classic Mario gameplay as you could want.

Had a cracking trip to Arcade Club in Bury today. Went on the VR and some crazy Japanese games involving drums and tables and strange control methods. Also played some lovely classic coin-ops. Blast on Bombjack where I got up to second on the high scores. I'm not beating BEZ who sat atop the table with his million. I can't even break 100,000. Trotted through Sunset Riders, Bit of Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart's Super Off-Road, 18 Wheeler Big Rig racing etc. It's gone up by  a quid, but the stuff on the middle floor would probably be a quid a go in your traditional arcade, plus the stuff upstairs it's well worth it. Reasonably priced food and drink as well. Always a good day out. I really want to try and get over to the new one that's opened in Sheffield for a look at that one sometime, probably in the new year..

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Spotted the following advert in Leicester the other day. Has anyone been to a similar event. I'm going to do my best to pop down to it.

IMG-20181201-WA0018.jpeg

Trying to get his scores back, I guess. He was shamed because it'd come out that his records were achieved using emulators and editing, which is against Twin Galaxies rules.

That’s beautiful @Onyx2 

It’s s cracking arcade game. A lot of love tends to go to Wrestlefest, but this is arguable on par in my opinion.

I bloody love wrestling and game cross over posters. Really hard to come by originals these days. This being one of my favourites. Can’t remember if it’s been shared on here before or not?

8B177B20-03F0-4FEA-A5F2-14FC14FC3D0D.jpeg

This was always one of my faves. Trippy.

Image result for amiga microleague wrestling

Lot of love for SuperStars. Poured fortunes into it at Parkins Palace, Canvey Island. I wrote this FAQ on it nearly twenty years ago.

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

One for @Kaz Hayashi

34p2c91bio221.jpg

What a wonderful game. Thanks for posting. I'm off to Ebay to see if I can get myself an early Christmas present. Eventhough I have it on my MAME Xbox. Does anyone remember the version that Ocean released? It had Bulldog in it. I eagerly bought it for the Amiga. From WH Smith. Sadly it was very buggy and went back to the shop. I exchanged it for SWOS. '

It was this one @Bicurious Dad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWF_WrestleMania_(1991_video_game

Edited by BigJag

It was nigh-impossible to win the lock ups in the first home WWF game, with that joystick waggling. I hear European Rampage only really had punches and kicks. The Megadrive/SNES ones were a little better, but still pretty awful. I don't think I put as much time into a WWF/E game as I did Smackdown Vs Raw 2006. It's still my go to.

The Superstars arcade game is an odd one, as you'd pick your first guy and then the CPU would randomly pick your partner if I recall correctly. Or it was predetermined based on who you picked. I would end up picking DiBiase and Perfect in Wrestlefest.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Royal Rumble on the SNES was a standout WWF game and it’s still one of my go-to games when I turn an emulator on. 

It could be argued the MegaDrive version had the better roster, though.

RAW was technically superior, but just wasn’t quite as fun.

I remember completing Wrestlefest on my little Dingoo console on a flight to the Czech Republic, much to the bemusement of the man next to me.

11 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

That’s beautiful @Onyx2 

It’s s cracking arcade game. A lot of love tends to go to Wrestlefest, but this is arguable on par in my opinion.

I bloody love wrestling and game cross over posters. Really hard to come by originals these days. This being one of my favourites. Can’t remember if it’s been shared on here before or not?

8B177B20-03F0-4FEA-A5F2-14FC14FC3D0D.jpeg

Ha! I just seen that for the first time the other day when flicking through an old copy of Retro Gamer which detailed the top 20 consoles! I remember the game well, but had never seen that poster before.

Wrestlefest ruined all WWF console games for me until Wrestlemania The Arcade came out on PS1, I can't remember enjoying any of them too much. Wrestle War on the Megadrive was pretty decent even if it was basic as hell, at least it looked good with chunky sprites and detailed characters.