Jump to content
patiirc

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, chokeout said:

How do you play 2 player on that Neo Geo?

You can buy extra controllers, I'm actually more interested in them if they work on PC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I haven't used one myself but some Youtubers I follow have and all say it's good apart from there being a little input lag and the joystick is poor.

So it's decent as long as you don't plan on interacting with the games? Sign me up, daddy-o.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just got back from Retro Revival in Walsall and it was pretty underwhelming, too many sellers and some took the piss price wise plus the selection of coinops was poor with a fair few in bad nick. It's not half as good as what the Replay guys put on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I've just got back from Retro Revival in Walsall and it was pretty underwhelming, too many sellers and some took the piss price wise plus the selection of coinops was poor with a fair few in bad nick. It's not half as good as what the Replay guys put on.

NERG is exactly the same. Great arcade section surrounded by clueless sellers marking everything up. Never went back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I've just got back from Retro Revival in Walsall and it was pretty underwhelming, too many sellers and some took the piss price wise plus the selection of coinops was poor with a fair few in bad nick. It's not half as good as what the Replay guys put on.

was a shop called "vintage gamer" in attendance? Nick, the owner, is a good lad. Its only a few miles from my house, i have purchased, and sold stuff to him in the past 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

NERG is exactly the same. Great arcade section surrounded by clueless sellers marking everything up. Never went back.

I'll be sticking to EGX, it's mainly modern games but even the little retro section on its own beats this.
I did get Night breed on the Amiga for 3 quid tho.

 

Yeah the Vintage Gamer lot were there, they aren't too bad.

Edited by Merzbow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how are they for prices? tbh im not really big on retro games, its too much of an expensive hobby, does he overcharge? i dont know of true values of games/consoles 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

how are they for prices? tbh im not really big on retro games, its too much of an expensive hobby, does he overcharge? i dont know of true values of games/consoles 

He seems pretty average really, although he also does some good deals on Facebook.

There was one cheap seller but all he sold was trash games, I think the stall may have even been called Dirt Retro or something. I bought a couple of bootleg 100+ games in one GBA carts for a quid each. I bet they don't even worl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been to a couple of Replay events and they've been pretty good. On the retro side of things they've got tons of consoles, arcade machines and pinball tables all free to play, and if you're into newer stuff they usually have a selection of some of the bigger upcoming AAA games as well as a zone dedicated to new/recent indie games. They also tend to have guest speakers/Q&A sessions, which is a nice addition that a lot of other conventions don't bother with. 

As with most other cons though, the merch stalls are generally massively overpriced. And unless you're spending hours queuing to see the AAA games, you're likely to see everything in an afternoon. I'd probably recommend going for a day rather than buying a full weekend ticket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

I've been to a couple of Replay events and they've been pretty good. On the retro side of things they've got tons of consoles, arcade machines and pinball tables all free to play, and if you're into newer stuff they usually have a selection of some of the bigger upcoming AAA games as well as a zone dedicated to new/recent indie games. They also tend to have guest speakers/Q&A sessions, which is a nice addition that a lot of other conventions don't bother with. 

As with most other cons though, the merch stalls are generally massively overpriced. And unless you're spending hours queuing to see the AAA games, you're likely to see everything in an afternoon. I'd probably recommend going for a day rather than buying a full weekend ticket.

That was the best part of Revival, although I couldn't get in to see John Romero as it was packed. Iain Lee and Mr Biffo were great fun to listen to and Paul Gannon joined in who's always a fun listen.

I was probably a little harsher than I should have been, it just wasn't exactly what I wanted from the event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Nintendo has filed copyright lawsuits against LoveROMs and LoveRETRO and since that EmuParadise and The ISO Zone have both decided to strip their sites of roms. I've noticed that a French site I've often used called PlanetEmu has taken down all Nintendo roms too. I'd recommend looking at torrents for "cylum" rom sets and keeping an archive of the games somewhere.

Ninty are obviously within their right to do this but they sure don't make things easy for themselves with the way the release or don't release their classic games on current consoles, they seem to drip feed a minimal amount of them and charge a pretty hefty fee for them too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair play to Nintendo.

People often scream ‚Äėpiracy‚Äô in regards to music, film and even on here in regards to wrestling. It‚Äôs completely understandable why Nintendo would react in this way.¬†

They are clearly interested in their own back catalogue and rereleasing (mini SNES, nes and possibly more). I’ve got no issues with their stance on this whatsoever and would be an absolute hypocrite if I did.

I truly hope it means they are planning to make their retro catalogue more accessible as time goes on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...