The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

8 minutes ago, David said:

Not sure if this has been asked before, but has anyone tried modding their mini-SNES to add more games to it? I've got a mate who's done it and says it's quite easy, but he's always doing shit like this, so easy for him may not be easy to the regular working man.

Here's a guide and you just connect it via USB and add the games, https://snesclassicmods.com/how-to-add-more-games-to-snes-classic-mini/

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, David said:

Not sure if this has been asked before, but has anyone tried modding their mini-SNES to add more games to it? I've got a mate who's done it and says it's quite easy, but he's always doing shit like this, so easy for him may not be easy to the regular working man.

It's super easy. Nothing to be scared about doing it. I've done it for mine a couple of times and my friends. Just make sure you click the button to find the artwork, otherwise you'll end up plugging it back in and doing it again. 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, BigJag said:

Well done on a successful event. Please keep us posted of any future events like this. How many competitors were there in total? It's great seeing games such as Mario Kart getting this type of treatment. Makes a change from the likes of fighting games. Are there any other similarly themed retro tournaments? 

I’m running a Mario Kart ‘fastest lap’ competition at the All Durham Beer Festival on December 1st.

Following that I’ll be reverting back to our Wrestling tournaments (No Mercy) for a couple of events in December, but then back to general retro from January.

I’ll be running multiple stalls at NERG next year. It’s the North East’s biggest retro convention. For those who like to go to conventions, this one is quality. We’re expecting around 60 consoles in total. Everything from random Japanese mystery consoles to general PAL retro machines. Along with LOADS of original Arcades & Pinball machines, and lots of retro games & merch traders.

Here’s a couple of pics from the last couple of years.

B37F0B18-92A2-4DC2-8D0A-574D150DAB72.jpeg

4C778210-F20C-473A-9FF1-019D072570E4.jpeg

13 hours ago, chokeout said:

It's super easy. Nothing to be scared about doing it. I've done it for mine a couple of times and my friends. Just make sure you click the button to find the artwork, otherwise you'll end up plugging it back in and doing it again. 

Fantastic, I plan on doing it later today. I'm honestly excited about getting a chance to play some of the less popular games from back in the day. Can't wait.

9 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I’m running a Mario Kart ‘fastest lap’ competition at the All Durham Beer Festival on December 1st.

I hope you'll be using the SNES Ghost Valley 1 with Feathers enabled.  My mates and I were swopping milliseconds on that track by the end.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Loki said:

I hope you'll be using the SNES Ghost Valley 1 with Feathers enabled.  My mates and I were swopping milliseconds on that track by the end.

We have, however, we changed the format entirely for the last one to ensure that randoms stood a chance as it was a pub night and don’t want to scare randoms off.

So we did a 1 player standard race, on the first course of the mushroom cup, on the mini SNES. This meant the elite players couldn’t simply smash it. Having cpu drivers on the course created variables and multiple laps meant there was room for error, along with generic pads.

It was amazing how much it evened the playing field.

But yeah, we’ve had several events in which everyone was Bowser on Ghost Valley. Power Slides and corner jumps galore.

• Paid Members

Had a cracking trip to Arcade Club in Bury today. Went on the VR and some crazy Japanese games involving drums and tables and strange control methods. Also played some lovely classic coin-ops. Blast on Bombjack where I got up to second on the high scores. I'm not beating BEZ who sat atop the table with his million. I can't even break 100,000. Trotted through Sunset Riders, Bit of Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart's Super Off-Road, 18 Wheeler Big Rig racing etc. It's gone up by  a quid, but the stuff on the middle floor would probably be a quid a go in your traditional arcade, plus the stuff upstairs it's well worth it. Reasonably priced food and drink as well. Always a good day out. I really want to try and get over to the new one that's opened in Sheffield for a look at that one sometime, probably in the new year..

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Trying to get his scores back, I guess. He was shamed because it'd come out that his records were achieved using emulators and editing, which is against Twin Galaxies rules.