The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

Altered Beast, there's a game that looked amazing but played like total dogshite, I never could get on with it regardless of the system I tried it on.

I love 'Mania the arcade game, it still holds up today as a solid 2D fighter. Used to play it in the local pedo owned Buzz Arcade before getting it on the PS1, it was a great port too but the lack of an arcade perfect version on anything sucks.

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed it - I vaguely remember playing it in the arcade, as it would have been right at the height of my first run of wrestling fandom, though I'm surprised I was clawed away from the X-Men or Simpsons arcade games long enough to give it a look-in.

I still own it on the Mega Drive, but I'm dreadful at it, so find it hard to gauge how much I'd say it holds up.

I don't think it had a bad rap - I don't really remember anyone talking about it as a kid, though Wiki seems to suggest mostly positive reviews.

• Awards Moderator
42 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Thoughts on WrestleMania the arcade game?

Seem to think it had a bad rap at the time?

It's problem is being a hybrid game meant it struggled to get to the right audience. It had crossover appeal but turned off people who instantly dismissed wrestling; yet fans of traditional wrestling games found it odd to be a bit more Pit Fighter.

It was like a trendy 90s arcadeĀ ticklist though: silly combos, OTT effects, digi-capture style, big shouty voices... Doink's whoopee cushion attack was where it's at.

Another fan of WrestleMania Tag. I could somehow do a 48-hit combo with Razor Ramon based purely on savant-like muscle memory. If you'd asked me to write it down I couldn't - I just felt it in real time, like the Force.

I mean as supernatural gifts go, you take what you're given I suppose.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

On a different note, I restarted Doom 2 yesterday.

I fucking hate O of Destruction.

It took me ages and ages to work out how to actually finish the level. Seem to remember you have to flip a switch and then sprint past the pillars before you can hit the switch, but for the longest time I kept hitting the first switch and couldn't work out that the pillars came down. Absolute bastard of a level on Ultra Violence as well, getting battered by unseen chaingunners etc. Isn't the Arch Vile in the PC version of this as well? The reviving bastard.Ā 

Dead Simple is a fun level. Whipping out the rocket launcher and blowing up some Mancubi is most satisfying.Ā 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

It took me ages and ages to work out how to actually finish the level. Seem to remember you have to flip a switch and then sprint past the pillars before you can hit the switch, but for the longest time I kept hitting the first switch and couldn't work out that the pillars came down. Absolute bastard of a level on Ultra Violence as well, getting battered by unseen chaingunners etc. Isn't the Arch Vile in the PC version of this as well? The reviving bastard.Ā 

Dead Simple is a fun level. Whipping out the rocket launcher and blowing up some Mancubi is most satisfying.Ā 

Yeah, Arch Vile makes its debut on that level. I remember when I first played it with my brother and we had no fucking idea what was going on.

I just did Dead Simple. The Arachnotrons are the worst bit of that one, you're busy shooting one and then one will come up behind you.

• Paid Members

Has anyone tried the C64 Mini? Just read on the Guardian review that, despite being designed to look like an old C64, the keyboard isn't functional, so you need to use a separate USB keyboard or on-screen prompts for text input, which seems like a bonkers design decision.

https://thec64.com/games/

Lovely bunch of games, though!Ā No Rainbow Chaser, though - which probably wasn't even a significant game, but I'm 90% sure it's the first game I ever played.

16 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Has anyone tried the C64 Mini? Just read on the Guardian review that, despite being designed to look like an old C64, the keyboard isn't functional, so you need to use a separate USB keyboard or on-screen prompts for text input, which seems like a bonkers design decision.

Lovely bunch of games, though!Ā No Rainbow Chaser, though - which probably wasn't even a significant game, but I'm 90% sure it's the first game I ever played.

I haven't used one myself but some Youtubers I follow have and all say it's good apart from there being a little input lag and the joystick is poor. You can add roms but it's a pain in the arse and you have to use Basic.

18 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Yeah I have played it. As you say the Keyboard isn't functional and it can be a bit of a pain to play titles that uses the keybaord as Imfound theĀ on screen promptsĀ awkward. Ā Althought you can put other games on the Mini it isn't as straightforward as what it probably should be,Ā in my opinion. As you say some of the games on there are great, I loved Monty on the Run!Ā 

You may be better off trying to source an original Commodore 64 if you can, depending on price.

Ā 

On a side note, I would love a Neo Geo mini.

Ā 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Merzbow said:

This is supposedly the new Neo Geo "mini" and yes, I want it. Although I'm not a fan of there being so many KoF and Metal Slug sequels and it has the worst Super Sidekicks, there could have been a better mix titles in there.

neo-geo-mini-rumours-3-e1525417583821.jp

neo-geo-mini-rumours-games.jpg

I like the design and look of it. I guess the integral screen makes it a truly use any where device. As long as you have access to power. It's an interesting idea.

I'm not sure if portability was the first thing they thought of when designing that. You wouldn't want to be arsed lugging that thingĀ around in your bag for too long. And you'd look a berk playing it on the bus. Especially when you could just shove an emulator and some roms on your phone.

• Paid Members

That's the thing about these mini machines there are so many of now. Why not just emulate? I got a gaming tablet last year with a bunch of emulators stuffed on it for Ā£100, works a treat. Plus they're full emulators as well. With that Neo Geo one, you're a bit fucked if you don't like Metal Slug or King of Fighters. I just don't think there's any worth to any of them unless you're a collector.