Merzbow Posted January 15, 2018 Posted January 15, 2018 It's just a shame it's for the NES, I'd love this for the Master System but that console is almost forgotten these days. Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted February 1, 2018 Paid Members Posted February 1, 2018 I am an insufferable hipster and fancy going to a retro gaming place for my birthday this year. Anybody know a good one in London / South East? I assume Shoreditch is lousy with them. Quote
TildeGuy~! Posted February 1, 2018 Posted February 1, 2018 (edited) 1 hour ago, Onyx2 said: I am an insufferable hipster and fancy going to a retro gaming place for my birthday this year. Anybody know a good one in London / South East? I assume Shoreditch is lousy with them. The Subculture Archives in Carnaby street is the only one I’m aware of in London, has arcades and retro consoles to play. You get 2 hours of unlimited play for £15 there. If anyone else is aware of others I’d like to know too. Edited February 1, 2018 by TildeGuy~! Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted February 1, 2018 Paid Members Posted February 1, 2018 1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said: The Subculture Archives in Carnaby street is the only one I’m aware of in London, has arcades and retro consoles to play. You get 2 hours of unlimited play for £15 there. If anyone else is aware of others I’d like to know too. Offline someone has mentioned loading.bar (Dalston and Stratford) and I'm quite tempted by these. Quote
TildeGuy~! Posted February 1, 2018 Posted February 1, 2018 4 minutes ago, Onyx2 said: Offline someone has mentioned loading.bar (Dalston and Stratford) and I'm quite tempted by these. Yea I’ve looked them up before, it’s more board games then video games and you’ll be lucky to get a table to even play them. Quote
Paid Members Kaz Hayashi Posted February 2, 2018 Paid Members Posted February 2, 2018 Are any of you retro geeks based in the north at all? Midlands and upwards? There are 3 events I want to hit this year. NERG in Gateshead as it’s tradition, the Doncaster retro video games market in March (been once before) and then I really want to check out a Retro Events games night in Leeds. Is anyone planning to attend any of these by any chance? Quote
Twatters Posted February 17, 2018 Posted February 17, 2018 If there's anyone in the South of England, I recently went to Game Over in Portsmouth. It's basically a retro gaming cafe (no internet), with a lot of retro games all the way up to Xbox 360. First time I'd been to anything like this and I loved it. It was chilled, staff were helpful, busy but not too much and the choice of consoles and games is massive. £5 for two hours was reasonable I thought. They also do nights where you can bring your own beer and order takeaway in. I'll be going again soon. Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted March 20, 2018 Paid Members Posted March 20, 2018 https://egl.tv/power-up-london-2018 The science museum are holding a retro games event over Easter. Quote
Merzbow Posted March 22, 2018 Posted March 22, 2018 The Curse of Monkey Island is finally on GOG, finally there's no need to mess about getting the game working on modern systems. Quote
Merzbow Posted March 22, 2018 Posted March 22, 2018 (edited) Good Old Games, it's a game store like Steam but everything is DRM free and it specialises in getting old games up and running on modern hardware with no fuss on the consumers end. Maniac Mansion was also released on there today. Edited March 22, 2018 by Merzbow Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted March 22, 2018 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2018 Cheers. Any chance you could also explain what a DRM is? Quote
Merzbow Posted March 22, 2018 Posted March 22, 2018 DRM is bascially copy protection to stop piracy but that can also limit legit owners of games, say they owned multiple computers and wanted to install a game on them or the DRM forces you to go online to play, even if it's single player etc. GOG just gives you your installation file which you can use however you like, no need to be online and no 3rd party clients like Steam, Uplay or Origin. Quote
Paid Members BigJag Posted March 23, 2018 Paid Members Posted March 23, 2018 (edited) Thanks again. Looking to get this https://www.gog.com/game/the_curse_of_monkey_island Would that run on a fairly recent laptop? Edited March 23, 2018 by BigJag Quote
Rey_Piste Posted March 23, 2018 Posted March 23, 2018 Yeah easily, it's a 20 year old game that would run easy on your phone these days. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.