The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

@FLips That Croc-het is absolutely brilliant! I want one. I was a big fan of the PS1 platformer and Croc was one of my faves (Gex and Pandemonium deserve more respect too).

That South Park game was an absolute stinker. Even as a kid that would persist with any old shite on the PS1, I gave it about 10 minutes, got lost, got sick of the turkeys and never played it again. Dire.

• Paid Members

I never played Croc 2 until years and years later, I think through emulation. With most games of that era that tried to transition from tank controls to Mario 64 controls, it was pretty badly done if I remember rightly. Swang way too far in the other direction and was a bit of a loose mess.

1 hour ago, FLips said:

It's a strange thing that I'm not sure there is a comfortable way to hold.

10 minutes ago, FLips said:

Swang way too far in the other direction and was a bit of a loose mess.

Oh ffs.

Agree with the South Park game. One of my mates bought it and we were so excited to play it, but it was incredibly bad and we maybe played it 2 or 3 times before he traded it.

Revival is back this year at Wolverhampton Racecourse, seems like they're going all out after some quieter years. I'll probably head down for the Saturday and spend far too long on the arcades.

REVIVAL: Game Not Over 2024 is the latest upcoming show from Revival Retro Events, featuring the very best in dedicated retro video gaming exhibits and unrivalled gaming atmosphere! Returning to REVIVAL's roots at Dunstall Park Racecourse in Wolverhampton where the events began over a decade ago, 2024's event will bring back many of the favourite exhibits, traders and features of past events, with hundreds of playable systems and interactive attractions that will entertain any old school gamer, families, children and casual gamers alike, including

• Over 100 playable retro consoles and computers
  • A superb FREE PLAY classic arcade with video and pinball machines
  • Special guest talks from industry names and developers
  • On-stage tournaments, competitions and prizes
  • New dedicated special interest zones including Amiga, Vectrex, rare consoles and collector focuses
  • Large screen multiplayer experiences and system link-ups
  • A large selection of traders offering various retro collectables
  • Reasonably priced, fully licensed bar and food court serving hot and cold food
  • Accessible venue near M6 with reasonable on-site parking
  • Choice of nearby hotels with direct rail and bus links to the venue

As well as all the best retro gaming attractions, REVIVAL: Game Not Over will focus heavily on the habits and hobbies of the collectors who make up the Revival Retro Events team. Chief amongst these are the rare and obscure systems from gaming history that even seasoned gamers will likely never have had opportunity to play on, or never even heard of outside of magazine coverage, as featured in lead organiser Craig Turner's recently released titular book, which can be ordered along with your tickets and get signed at the event! Whether it be to pop along and have a quick arcade thrash, bring the family for a fun-filled day out, or grab your friends to enjoy a whole weekend of friendly competition, be sure to buy your tickets NOW and make sure any gamers you know don't miss out!

• Paid Members

Saw one of the early Anbernic handhelds on Vinted for £4. It claims to have 520 games on it, but a lot of them look like your usual Famiclone ROM hack type things, and it's powered by what looks like a repurposed Nokia phone battery. Still, could be good for a laugh. 

• Paid Members

In a deal that in hindsight was likely to end in me being murdered, I just met a guy called Dante Pizzalover in the car park of a Lidl to buy some Pizza Hut and McDonalds exclusive PS1 demo discs for £5.

I'll report back what's on them but the ones with cases show that I at least got Stuart Little 2 on one of them.

demos.jpg

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

We’ve been playing demo discs all night and I will go into them in more detail but I had to share just how mad the startup on the Pizza Hut one is. Order a pizza and we’ll send you a PS1 game!

Between the two discs there’s some real good stuff. Crash Team Racing which excitingly is in full beta mode and has a load of differences compared to the full release, Spyro 2, Speed Freaks, Wip3out and a trailer for Final Fantasy VIII make up some of the bigger names.

Can’t believe we had it this good and blew it.

Edit: I found a hidden video if you leave it stationary too. Love it.

Edited by FLips

• Paid Members

Been playing through the demo discs and as I've said before, I find them absolutely fascinating. In a period where most of us could get chipped games for a few quid, having demos there was a great way to decide what names you'd circle next time you got a look at the games list. They were so easy to get hold of too as most magazines gave them away and as I now know, you could order a pizza or a large meal and get a disc thrown in with it.

I adore the aesthetics of them. The trippy backgrounds, the house/techno/dance music that plays on all of them, and the way they all lag when you choose a game. I remember seeing the Manta Ray/T-Rex Demo and genuinely thinking games would never look better. Some games I even associate more as a demo game than a full release (I'm looking at you Overboard, Kula World, and Kurushi).

I'm going to work my way through the ones I have (I have my eyes on more on Ebay too) and basically come to a decision on whether or not the demo would have enticed me back in the day to buy the game.

I don't have McDonalds Disc 1 (yet) so I've started with McDonalds Disc 2.

The games on there are Ape Escape, Cool Boarders 4, Ace Combat 3 and FIFA 2002.

The Ape Escape demo has two playable stages with the water net tutorial in between as you need it for the second stage. After that you can try three of the other gadgets that will feature in the main game, the RC Car, the Sky Flyer and the Monkey Radar.

There's no voice acting yet so the dialogue is all text boxes that aren't present in the full game. Other than that though there's not much difference between this and the full game other than a few graphical changes and other minor changes. All of which can be seen here if you're bothered https://tcrf.net/Proto:Ape_Escape

It plays great as you would expect. It's a little basic with all the monkeys being really easy to catch. The main draw here though is the unique control scheme, which has mandatory dualshock requirements as your net and other gadgets are used by pushing the right stick. The music is from the full game too, which has a banging OST.

Would I buy the full game off the back of the demo?
Absolutely. Ignoring the fact I know it's a good game and judging it purely on what's presented in the demo, it's a good showing that gives you a taste of a little bit of everything. Unique but easy gameplay, bright graphics comparable to Mega Man Legends, a good sountrack, and as the cherry on top it lets you play with 3 of the more fun gadgets from the full game. Solid demo.

Next up was Cool Boarders 4.

Cool Boarders is one of those games I always knew existed but never had any interest in. I assumed they must be good though as the PS1 had four of them.

I was wrong. This is a dud of a demo. It's one level with one character and SSX it ain't. Really heavy controls and gameplay that encourages you to not play it in order to win. It's a downhill race and similarly to Tony Hawk Pro Skater you Hold X to build up speed and store your jump at the same time, then when you do jump you can press a direction and square or circle to do tricks, with triangle allowing you to grind.

Cool Boarders 4 though leaves no room for error. You eat snow trying a backflip and the race is lost because the other three racers don't even attempt tricks and despite having a score there seems to be no benefit to increasing it. I stumbled downhill and the three of them met me at the bottom where I fell to my knees in disgrace.

Would I buy this one?
No chance. It's clunky, no fun and has counter intuitive gameplay. If you want a game like this then get Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. I wouldn't have spent £3 of my pocket money for a copy of this.

Third in line was Ace Combat 3 which looks really good. The environments look shoddy but the model of your jet looks brilliant and the game knows it. Plenty of close ups, camera angles and replays to show it off. The demo gives you a stage that looks like possibly above New York where you have to dogfight other planes and blast a couple of SAM sites on the nearby ships and docks.

It's interesting to see how little games like this have evolved over time. The control schemes, the way the plane handles, the lock on systems, everything is the same here as you would expect it to be now.

As you would expect from a game like this, you're just turning in circles as the enemy planes constantly go behind you just as you're about to lock on. That being said it's easy to pick up and play and when you blow an enemy up it makes a big fuss of it. Pretty decent.

Would I buy the full thing?
No. That's not to say it's a bad demo but games like this aren't my bag. My Brother probably would have loved it and he would have likely bought it though. This isn't like Cool Boarders where I see no upside to it, it's one I'd recommend to others.

Last but not least is FIFA 2002 which generously lets you play one half of a France vs Brazil match. They do Zidane really dirty on the walk-out as he looks like Friar Tuck. Absolute egg in a bun.
My history of football games at this stage would have been World Cup Italia 90 on the Mega Drive and Three Lions which I got with my PS1. This is better than both of those. The controls are very FIFA but there's no through-ball option, with triangle wierdly being a sprint that didn't seem to work. It's a little slower than what it would be like even on the PS2.

It functions fine though, but a 3 minute half is no time at all to get a proper feel for the game. It was over as quickly as it started at 0-0.

If I'd played the demo at the time and was in the market for a football game then yeah I'd have probably went for this. It's a lot better than it's peers (that I'd played) at the time, the graphics are decent and the gameplay is a little slow but I quite liked it wasn't just constant sliding tackles and rubberbanding.

Overall of the four games Ape Escape is a definite buy, and FIFA 2002 and Ace Combat 3 are good representations that if I wanted a game in those genres I'd have probably went for. Cool Boarders 4 is a dud. Not sure how there was 4 of them.

I'm really into the Ace Combat series, we were kinda fucked over with three though as it had a pretty huge storyline on two discs with branching paths which was stripped from the non-Japanese releases.

Luckily there have been multiple English patches including one very recently that did a better translation job.

• Paid Members

Picture dump that may or may not be of interest!

So Mum is moving house and clearing out the loft. I got this text 4E7FCEA8-985C-4CC4-A9FB-66BAE63CDF6F.thumb.jpeg.9fb50775f3ba41da3e31726371beae13.jpeg

Didn’t know what she meant but said yes anyway just in case. 
Then today she turns up with this!

486FFB7B-1684-4442-94D9-FCB000B60C42.thumb.jpeg.a60857cb1d1886f1c5baceb21df2dd56.jpeg

I always had Nintendo and PlayStations so the Dreamcast hardly ever got used. My Uncle took me to Sega World and I think I ended up with a Dreamcast shortly after that although my memory is very hazy. 
Ive just got it all out and it’s quite interesting

Internet browser disk still sealed. No keffin’ from the Dreamcast when I was younger

AF45223C-9AD1-4BA5-8CA1-1E01DCB2EA6D.thumb.jpeg.8a0dd657259ce8707246069464b024da.jpeg

Although you’ll have to wait until October 99 before they turn the internet on

84999CC8-38F3-46EB-8017-E59F38B47DD9.thumb.jpeg.28499e2fe9070d2d34aec9f0550a4762.jpeg

I was more of a Match! fan at the time 

4A3EC49A-57CF-4C14-96F2-E8F69559180F.thumb.jpeg.03182bceeae28f788e52b6da5e279025.jpeg

Have no memory of this visual memory thing….

1757545F-5C7D-4FA6-9BFD-A11E6FF5878D.thumb.jpeg.1ea2853aec5e953af5f53a600e834e51.jpeg

But I obviously used it, it’s all snug in the controller 

90667A91-D4D1-4EFE-9598-3BF835831A37.thumb.jpeg.ef849b03ede492dcf05cd30ca9ca7795.jpeg

Here she is…

C26FBB15-7304-4E42-8560-EF0DC1F93ED3.thumb.jpeg.79b374af61d6c39a7828bce8c2496967.jpeg

With a game inside, no case unfortunately 

CCA87229-B90F-48BD-8E94-4CE7DE848217.thumb.jpeg.8e8f7d102a015c446dcb67c6c888910a.jpeg

Only one other game in the box. I have absolutely no memory of these two games. The only game I remember ever playing was Virtual Tennis and Project Gotham Racing. 
7023D546-8298-46FB-B0EF-B3A266801B5F.thumb.jpeg.d9b83a5f6965c55be9c099e62bb25736.jpeg

Must have got this from a shop in Eastleigh which is absolutely bizarre as I have no idea why we would have ever gone there. Any Eastleigh locals remember this shop?

40537FBA-C184-4922-9E34-88AC927BC113.thumb.jpeg.4a7c2cf17da993d38e84557aa9ff8f50.jpeg

Unfortunately there are no cables in the box! So I can’t get it going. ☹️ BUT for some reason there was an NES power lead, PS2 memory card and a pencil sharpener

D87C2892-AD69-499F-9238-256FCF013791.thumb.jpeg.b8713d3baaebfdbcebaf660306dec442.jpeg

5CF9EFCA-EACA-4FDE-81F8-6C5DF07BAA62.thumb.jpeg.777e605fdb0e9e56b92f8547f783f220.jpeg