The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

I absolutely love this thread you know.

Only one kid in my year had a Dreamcast IIRC and we used to swap insults of "Dreamlast" and "GayStation" every day.

I remember he once bought in the little take out bit from the controller which I think you could play? Is that right?

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I remember he once bought in the little take out bit from the controller which I think you could play? Is that right?

Yeah quite a few had little mini games you could play. Like Sonic Adventure you could improve your Chao stats by playing the games and then linking it back to the main game.

Wasn't anything overly complex but was an interesting idea. A lot of the Dreamcast stuff was actually pretty cool tech-wise.

• Paid Members

Still not many older games impress me as much as the Dreamscape port of Soul Calibur. It’s absolutely stunning.

15 hours ago, FLips said:

Next up was Cool Boarders 4.

Cool Boarders is one of those games I always knew existed but never had any interest in. I assumed they must be good though as the PS1 had four of them.

I was wrong. This is a dud of a demo. It's one level with one character and SSX it ain't. Really heavy controls and gameplay that encourages you to not play it in order to win. It's a downhill race and similarly to Tony Hawk Pro Skater you Hold X to build up speed and store your jump at the same time, then when you do jump you can press a direction and square or circle to do tricks, with triangle allowing you to grind.

That's such a shame! I used to love the Cool Boarders series, but I've not revisited them as I assumed that it wouldn't have aged well and I didn't want to taint the memories. I'm glad I didn't. 

On that note, has there been a good snowboarding game released at any point at all in recent years? As far as I can think, they seem to have died a death. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Cool Boarders 2 was the absolute shit, hence why I voted for it in the best ever games thing.

Coooooooool Boarders!

Cool Boarders 1 and 2 were developed by a different team to 3 and 4 so maybe they were the good ones that left the legacy! 

@RedRooster There are still snowboarding games, I think the most recent one that was meant to be good was called STEEP. I haven’t played any since SSX 3 on the Gamecube though.

• Paid Members

PS1 demo discs were amazing. Likewise, there are games I still associate more with demos than with the full version - Armoured Core, Bloody Roar (which I think were on the same disc), Overboard!, and then a ton of mad Net Yaroze games.

I got back into wrestling because of the Smackdown demo, and the Discworld 2 demo was one of the things to first get me into Terry Pratchett. They've had an outsized influence on my life.

I randomly got a Dreamcast about ten years ago, and I'm still not sure why, I just decided one day that I was buying one. A lot of the games have aged really well, and a lot of the ones that haven't still stand out for having some fun and original ideas. It's a great console, deserved better.

2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

PS1 demo discs were amazing. Likewise, there are games I still associate more with demos than with the full version - Armoured Core, Bloody Roar (which I think were on the same disc), Overboard!, and then a ton of mad Net Yaroze games.

Net Yaroze!! What a shame these will likely be lost to time, as some of them were an absolute blast to play. I might be misremembering, but wasn't there a demo disc that contained absolutely loads of them at one point? I think that's how I experienced the bulk of them. 

Blitter Boy is the one I remember most fondly, that was great. 

• Paid Members

SSX Tricky is one of those games I’ve been wishing for to get a remaster/remake. As much as I loved Cool Borders 1 & 2 (the 1st was one of the rare games I remember renting from Blockbuster as we couldn’t afford many games), Tricky was so much fun. Great characters/voice acting and the special stunts were so much fun to pull off and the controls were not to complex.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

SSX Tricky is one of those games I’ve been wishing for to get a remaster/remake. As much as I loved Cool Borders 1 & 2 (the 1st was one of the rare games I remember renting from Blockbuster as we couldn’t afford many games), Tricky was so much fun. Great characters/voice acting and the special stunts were so much fun to pull off and the controls were not to complex.

There's an indie game coming out next year inspired by SSX Tricky, apparently. It's called Tricky Madness, and I've only just found out about it after Googling - after reading your post - to find out if there had been any talk of an SSX remaster on the back of the brilliant Tony Hawk remakes. 

(Unfortunately, the answer to that one seems to be 'no')

Edited by RedRooster

Steeps a decent game if you've got a Snowboarding itch the scratch. The beauty of the likes of SSX/Coolboarders is in the "easy to enjoy, tougher to master" factor and whist Steep is a bit fiddlier it's still fun to pick up and mess about it. Riders Republic is worth a shout too but I didn't play quite as much of that. 

8 minutes ago, Donald J Trump said:

Steeps a decent game if you've got a Snowboarding itch the scratch. The beauty of the likes of SSX/Coolboarders is in the "easy to enjoy, tougher to master" factor and whist Steep is a bit fiddlier it's still fun to pick up and mess about it. Riders Republic is worth a shout too but I didn't play quite as much of that. 

I'd never even heard of these games, so thanks for the endorsement - and to @FLips and @SuperBacon for bringing them up in the first place.