The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

Killer Instinct came out near the end of SNES life span, SF Alpha which came out a similar time went to PS and Saturn and not SNES. MK3 was made on an inferior Midway machine so SNes looks okay and PS almost identical. I actually think it was a decent attempt given the console.

KI Gold suffered like many N64 games did and that was lack of space on a cartridge. 

12 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Killer Instinct came out near the end of SNES life span, SF Alpha which came out a similar time went to PS and Saturn and not SNES. MK3 was made on an inferior Midway machine so SNes looks okay and PS almost identical. I actually think it was a decent attempt given the console.

KI Gold suffered like many N64 games did and that was lack of space on a cartridge. 

True, SFA1 missed the SNES but the sequel was somehow squeezed onto a 16-bit cartridge after the N64 had already come out in Japan and North America so people in those markets hardly noticed. I had a copy (the only such title I ever had to order in since I couldn't find it in any shops) and despite the ridiculousness of loading times on a non-disc-based game it's an absolute bit of alchemy that Capcom produced a damn near coin-op-perfect port. The fact they even bothered is basically a farewell love letter to that console generation. 

I faintly remember completing a Killer Instinct game at my local arcade on my birthday one year... but can't recall which KI or which birthday – though I think it's the only time I ever finished the arcade version of anything. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Blast Corps is quite fun, I'm not quite sure what the plot is. You smash shit snd have fun. I think it probably would have thought a rip off 20 years ago though.

Battletoads isn't bad either. I'll get round to Killer Instinct.

Blast Corps was one of my favourite N64 games as a kid, something about those fully destructible environments I found really fulfilling. Haven't looked at it since then, but I also remember it being really hard, so I got good value for money out of it.

From memory it's like a nuke is being transported but it's out of control so you have to demolish all the buildings in its path so it doesn't hit one and destroy America or wherever you are.

• Paid Members

Went a bit mental with the retro buying with it being payday. Alongside the 5 NES games I got the other day I scooped up some (relatively to their usual asking prices) cheap games over the last couple of days as well.

All SNES games;

• Mortal Kombat 2 - £9
  • Clay Fighter - £6
  • The Lion King - £4
  • Super Castlevania IV - £31
  • Kirby's Fun Pak (Kirby Superstars outside the PAL region) - £36

That will be me for the month now. I shouldn't have really gotten Castlevania and Kirby but it's two big hitters I know I'll play to death and looking at recently sold and still active listings I've saved about £30 between them so it felt like now or never.
Really excited for Castlevania IV as well because I know my wife will play it with me. I convinced her to play Castlevania 1 with me the other night and she got immediately hooked on it. We were up until midnight completing it and then the next morning she got right out of bed, put the NES on and sat and played it herself until she completed it. She's loaded it up a few times since and it's lovely to see her enjoying it.

In other NES news I sat and finished Ducktales earlier. People are right when they say it's one of the better games on the console but it's certainly not without it's flaws. Weird hit detection and invincibility frames are the main reason you take damage  rather than any actual difficulty, and there's a really odd design choice where you go to the Mines and it transports you to get a key in Transylvania, then takes you back to the Mines. You also go back to Transylvania to fight the last boss. Almost like they ran out of space and had to just put a load of the game in one stage.
That being said you can't deny the ease of play, fun pogo mechanic, bright graphics and beautiful music. The fact it never gets frustratingly hard, gives you a end-game score to compete with and you can finish it in half an hour is the icing on the cake really. I've heard Ducktales 2 is a sleeper hit so if I can find that cheap at some point I'll give it a bash.

Had a nightmare with my chipped PS1 I was ranting and raving about. A couple of months ago now I had a mate over and we were playing Mortal Kombat Mythologies and during a cutscene the game crashed. We turned the PS1 off and it stopped reading discs completely.
I got confidence after my NES fixing and decided finally to open it up and sadly can't see anything wrong with it that Youtube/Reddit suggests. I tried changing the laser with my original non-chipped console and still no luck, so my Brother came over and he tried resoldering the mod chip to no avail, so as a last attempt we removed the chip completely and still the same issue. Seems to likely be a motherboard issue, so under the bed it went and I'll have to keep an eye out for a new one at some point.

I also got a new desk and chair delivered for WFH so had space to shuffle things about. I made the executive decision to take my PC speakers and subwoofer and connect them to my retro setup. Thanks to the SNES/N64 sharing the same RGB cable I have them both wired into the speaker system now. The SNES just sounds a little cleaner than direct through the TV but let me tell you that playing Lylat Wars with a sound system and the Rumble Pak had me like

fg.gif.ef705f9bcad8e11d9e4156aabc009782.gif

It sounds amazing. F-Zero X and Ocarina of Time had a quick go too just to see how they sounded. Not sure I can go back to TV sound now with the N64 at least.

Also found out you can use the Wii scart cable on the Wii U so at one point I'll pick a cheap one of those up and get my Wii U on the CRT to play Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD on it. I already have the console and games so for like £6 for the cable it's worth a pop I think.

Here's a photo of the setup currently. I'm getting carried away I think.

IMG_8893.thumb.jpeg.ffda7dc7b569fa34f9a7528aa1a15971.jpeg

Edited by FLips

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

You are living the life I would if my wife wouldn't kill me. I am enjoying this all vicariously through your posts.

It’s all about give and take. This may look like a lot but I gave up the entire spare room so she could fill it with yarn and turn it into a crochet/knitting room.

She also drags me to wool shows every few months.

I finally managed to give Knuckles Chaotix a go this week, after decades of it being one of the games I most wanted to play. I'd always assumed it was a 'lost' Sonic game, similar to what came before it, aside from the rubber banding system (two characters are 'banded' together via magic rings, as you can see below)

220px-32X_Chaotix.png

As it turns out, though...it's a bit shit. There are hardly any enemies, the physics are very slightly off from previous Sonic games (making it feel odd even before the rubber banding begins) and the banding system is kind of annoying. In addition to that, the levels seem to go on forever. They're pretty repetitious within each zone; and each zone has five levels to it, for some reason. 

The bosses are actually quite good, but when it's as much of a drudge as it is in between those fights, it just doesn't matter. I can absolutely understand why they've not bothered to port it. It would require a heck of a lot of effort for - at best - a mediocre product. 

13 hours ago, FLips said:

Went a bit mental with the retro buying with it being payday. Alongside the 5 NES games I got the other day I scooped up some (relatively to their usual asking prices) cheap games over the last couple of days as well.

All SNES games;

• Mortal Kombat 2 - £9
  • Clay Fighter - £6
  • The Lion King - £4
  • Super Castlevania IV - £31
  • Kirby's Fun Pak (Kirby Superstars outside the PAL region) - £36

That will be me for the month now. I shouldn't have really gotten Castlevania and Kirby but it's two big hitters I know I'll play to death and looking at recently sold and still active listings I've saved about £30 between them so it felt like now or never.
Really excited for Castlevania IV as well because I know my wife will play it with me. I convinced her to play Castlevania 1 with me the other night and she got immediately hooked on it. We were up until midnight completing it and then the next morning she got right out of bed, put the NES on and sat and played it herself until she completed it. She's loaded it up a few times since and it's lovely to see her enjoying it.

In other NES news I sat and finished Ducktales earlier. People are right when they say it's one of the better games on the console but it's certainly not without it's flaws. Weird hit detection and invincibility frames are the main reason you take damage  rather than any actual difficulty, and there's a really odd design choice where you go to the Mines and it transports you to get a key in Transylvania, then takes you back to the Mines. You also go back to Transylvania to fight the last boss. Almost like they ran out of space and had to just put a load of the game in one stage.
That being said you can't deny the ease of play, fun pogo mechanic, bright graphics and beautiful music. The fact it never gets frustratingly hard, gives you a end-game score to compete with and you can finish it in half an hour is the icing on the cake really. I've heard Ducktales 2 is a sleeper hit so if I can find that cheap at some point I'll give it a bash.

Had a nightmare with my chipped PS1 I was ranting and raving about. A couple of months ago now I had a mate over and we were playing Mortal Kombat Mythologies and during a cutscene the game crashed. We turned the PS1 off and it stopped reading discs completely.
I got confidence after my NES fixing and decided finally to open it up and sadly can't see anything wrong with it that Youtube/Reddit suggests. I tried changing the laser with my original non-chipped console and still no luck, so my Brother came over and he tried resoldering the mod chip to no avail, so as a last attempt we removed the chip completely and still the same issue. Seems to likely be a motherboard issue, so under the bed it went and I'll have to keep an eye out for a new one at some point.

I also got a new desk and chair delivered for WFH so had space to shuffle things about. I made the executive decision to take my PC speakers and subwoofer and connect them to my retro setup. Thanks to the SNES/N64 sharing the same RGB cable I have them both wired into the speaker system now. The SNES just sounds a little cleaner than direct through the TV but let me tell you that playing Lylat Wars with a sound system and the Rumble Pak had me like

fg.gif.ef705f9bcad8e11d9e4156aabc009782.gif

It sounds amazing. F-Zero X and Ocarina of Time had a quick go too just to see how they sounded. Not sure I can go back to TV sound now with the N64 at least.

Also found out you can use the Wii scart cable on the Wii U so at one point I'll pick a cheap one of those up and get my Wii U on the CRT to play Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD on it. I already have the console and games so for like £6 for the cable it's worth a pop I think.

Here's a photo of the setup currently. I'm getting carried away I think.

IMG_8893.thumb.jpeg.ffda7dc7b569fa34f9a7528aa1a15971.jpeg

Alot of people shit on Clay Fighter, I mean it could do with an in game storyline (storyline is in the manual) and endings, but it's a fun game. It at least felt unique at the time.

• Paid Members

Clay Fighter is a pure nostalgia buy. I had Mortal Kombat 3 and Street Fighter 2 on the Mega Drive but my SNES had Primal Rage and Clay Fighter. I’m under no illusion it’s anything but an OK fighting game.

@RedRooster I felt the same way about Knuckles Chaotix. Even for the time I’m not sure who decided it was fun, it has nothing going on at all and then they stuck a bad gimmick on top of that. A very strange addition to a time Sonic rarely set a foot wrong.

@FLips do you have a Game Gear?  There were a few exclusives on there that I loved - their version of Sonic & Knuckles I think was great, a good Mortal Kombat, and some crazy JRPGs.

I deeply regret trading my Game Gear in, as I do with every console I ever sold, even though it would now be on the shelf behind me gathering dust alongside the GBA/DS etc.

Edit: It was Sonic The Hedgehog 2 I'm thinking of.  

Edited by Loki
To annoy @SuperBacon

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Loki said:

@FLips do you have a Game Gear?  There were a few exclusives on there that I loved - their version of Sonic & Knuckles I think was great, a good Mortal Kombat, and some crazy JRPGs.

I deeply regret trading my Game Gear in, as I do with every console I ever sold, even though it would now be on the shelf behind me gathering dust alongside the GBA/DS etc.

Edit: It was Sonic The Hedgehog 2 I'm thinking of.  

I don’t but I’ve played a good few games on it, Sonic 2 included (that minecart level is brutal). 
I was a Gameboy kid through and through!